Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:56 am
ros wrote-

Quote:
Spendi, do you think that valid science should be determined by votes?

Not at all in the sense you obviously mean.But science is subservient to voters because they supply the funds,or at least they think they do,which amounts to the same thing in effect.GM crops for example or stem cell research just to mention a couple of mentionables.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:10 am
farmerman wrote:
still taking our Mr aspirin a day Bernie?

I think of it as Miss Aspirin (little schoolgirl skirt, etc). Along with a bunch of other medications that a lot of those folks in New Orleans wouldn't be able to afford. I don't like this meds regimen thing. I used to get all the nutritive and immunological goodness needed from just a single garlic suppository.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:24 am
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
I don't like this meds regimen thing.

It's normal man.I feel out of it not being on any meds.Everybody,almost,I know has serried ranks of pill bottles.

Go vegan-get your chol down to 3.9 or less.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:07 am
I don't know, spendius, but meds might actually improve your life (even placebos). Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:19 am
wande-

I can't think of one thing that would improve my life that is a possibility.And meds are a long way down the list of things that might.

Are beer and fags classed as meds?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:02 am
Quote:
Evolution wording attacked
(February 08, 2006, Catherine Candisky, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH)

More than two-thirds of scientists and educators who initially advised the State Board of Education on science standards are urging the board to scrap a portion of the guidelines.

Ohio's standards for teaching 10th-grade biology and their accompanying lesson plans undermine Darwin's theory of evolution by singling it out for critical analysis, they said yesterday in a letter to Gov. Bob Taft.

The guidelines also open the door to teaching religion in the public-school classroom, the letter says.

Thirty-two committee members made recommendations on state science standards in 2001, and a second, larger committee was then impaneled to write the standards. Wording questioning the validity of evolution was added in 2002.

Two other committees made recommendations and wrote the lesson plans that were adopted 1½ years later.

State Board President Sue Westendorf said members likely will discuss the issue at their next monthly meeting Tuesday in Columbus, although the issue is not on the agenda.

Some members already are circulating a renewed motion to strip the controversial provision. Others are talking about sending the standards and lesson plan to a review panel.

Twenty-three members of 2001's Science Content Standards Advisory Committee signed the letter condemning the 2002 standards and the 2004 lesson plan.

They said the 19-person state board, of which the governor appoints eight members, has ignored their concerns.

"Many of us warned then that in singling out this one scientific theory that has historically been opposed by certain religious sects, the board sent the message that it believes there is some problem peculiar to evolution.

"This message was unwarranted scientifically and pedagogically," the 23 wrote.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:02 am
"have gavel
will travel"

Judge Jones license plate on the front of his car.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
It figures.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
SOUTH CAROLINA UPDATE

Quote:
Panel fails to agree on revisions in state's standards for teaching biology
(BY CHRIS DIXON, Charleston Post-Courier, February 9, 2006)

Columbia - A state panel failed Wednesday to approve revisions to the language that dictates how South Carolina teaches evolution, setting up a showdown in the full Education Oversight Committee.

Three members of the subcommittee could not reach agreement on new language in four of seven "indicators" for biology classes.

Revision proponents say they encourage critical debate on shortcomings in the theory of evolution.

Opponents say the revisions are a thinly veiled means of using a term called "critical analysis" to insert intelligent design or creation theory into science instruction.

It was the second time in a month the subcommittee failed to find a compromise.

With no agreement on revisions among EOC members Rep. Bob Walker, R-Landrum; Wallace Hall, an Edgewood middle school teacher; and Robert Staton, a Republican candidate for state school superintendent, the state's entire biology standards now face a close vote.

Should these standards not be approved, science teachers will be instructed to base their curriculum on standards that have been in effect since 2000.

State Education Superintendent Inez Tenenbaum refused to offer more concessions and called for an "up or down" vote by the full oversight committee.

"These scientific standards have been developed over a period of a year and a half," she said.

Tenenbaum sparred with state Board of Education member Terrye Seckinger, who argued that inclusion of the term "critical analysis" simply meant exposing students to what she said were shortcomings in Darwinism.

The full Education Oversight Committee will meet Monday in Columbia to vote on the teaching indicators.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:28 am
wande-

It sure looks an easy way of getting their names in the papers and pumping up their self importance.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:47 am
Quote:
Scientists using Darwin's birthday to rally support for evolution
(KATHY MATHESON, Associated Press, February 10, 2006)

Thanks to the "intelligent design" movement, Charles Darwin's birthday is evolving into everything from a badminton party to church sermons this weekend.

Defenders of Darwin's theory of natural selection are planning hundreds of events around the world Sunday, the 197th anniversary of his birth, saying recent challenges to the teaching of evolution have re-emphasized the need to promote his work.

"The people who believe in evolution ... really just sort of need to stand up and be counted," said Richard Leventhal, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. "Evolution is the model that drives science. It's time to recognize that."

The museum's celebration will include birthday cake, a little badminton (reportedly a favorite game of Darwin's) and a reading of his "The Origin of Species" by Penn junior Bill Wames, who planned to dress up as the 19th-century naturalist. "Come to my party!" Wames, in costume, bellowed Wednesday while handing out fliers around campus. "Sunday at one o'clock!"

At the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada, philosophy students will get a jump-start on Darwin Day on campus Friday by singing Darwin carols they composed.

Darwin, who was born in England on Feb. 12, 1809, and died in 1882, was 50 when he published "The Origin of Species." His conclusion that species evolve over time was based in part on zoological and geological discoveries made during a five-year voyage around the world on the HMS Beagle.

The intelligent design movement challenges Darwin's theory, contending that organisms are so complex that they must have been created by some kind of higher being. Critics of intelligent design say it is creationism camouflaged in scientific language.

Intelligent design proponents suffered legal setbacks last year in Pennsylvania and Georgia, but Kansas education officials have approved science standards that treat evolution as a flawed theory.

Polls have shown many Americans don't accept evolution. A Gallup poll in 2004 found that about 35 percent of Americans believe Darwin's theory is well supported by evidence, another 35 percent thought it was not well-supported and 29 percent said they didn't know enough about it.

To show religion and science are not at odds, more than 400 churches of many denominations - most of them in the United States - have agreed to participate in "Evolution Sunday" by giving a sermon, holding classes or sponsoring discussions.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:18 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
The museum's celebration will include birthday cake, a little badminton (reportedly a favorite game of Darwin's) and a reading of his "The Origin of Species"

I have read the 800 page Desmond and Moore biog,another two I can't remember and Origin itself.
I don't recall any mention of badminton and the word isn't in the index of the D and M or of Origin.Mr Darwin's general health was quite bad and certainly wouldn't have allowed him to play the game.

As for a reading of Origin-I'm sure they are joking.

It sound like a bunch of stunts to me cobbled up by people with nothing better to do.What you do is Google up birthdays,find one that people have heard of,get yourself a photocopier and paper belonging to the taxpayer and hype it up.You can't go wrong.Get your name in the paper,make waves and have a party.A project with an empty centre apart from the pollution it leaves in its wake.

Why don't they have a pigeon pie eating competition?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:50 am
spendius wrote:
Why don't they have a pigeon pie eating competition?

Is that what they are doing this weekend at your favorite pub?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Wande-

In the extremest improbabilty of such an event being scheduled in my favourite pub (the one I can reach on my feet) it will plummet in my estimation to those levels wherein reside items like second-hand toilet paper and feminists.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:03 am
Charles birthday bash is today and tomorrow in Philly. Be there. Many cheese steaks will give their lives for science.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

Philly cheese-steak . . . it's to die for . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:08 am
Special Recipe for Darwin Sunday (Finches may be substituted)

Quote:
Pigeon Pie
serves 6

12oz/350g puff pastry
6 pigeons, plucked and gutted
salt and pepper
1 large carrot, thickly sliced
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
spice bundle (a few black peppercorns, allspice and juniper berries, and 2 cloves, tied in a bit of muslin)
4 shallots, peeled and chopped
4oz/110g button mushrooms, quartered
2oz/50g/4 tbsp unsalted butter
6oz/175g sliced cooked ham or gammon, cut into small strips
8oz/225g good steak, beaten and cut into small thin slices
seasoned flour for sprinkling
4 hard-boiled egg yolks, quartered
egg wash for glazing

Cold pigeon pies were popular fare for summer picnics, and indeed still are; only today we use the pinions and other oddments for gravy to moisten the meat instead of using them for show.

Roll out the pastry to fit an inverted 1¾ pint/1 litre/4½ cup English pie dish with 1½ inches/4 cm to spare all round. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.

Carefully separate the pigeon breasts from the carcases. Season the carcases and put them into a fairly large pan with the carrot, onion and spice bundle. Cover with water. Simmer for about 40 minutes, then strain the stock into a bowl and discard the bones, vegetables and spices.

Meanwhile sauté the shallots and mushrooms in about 1oz/25g/2 tbsp of the butter until both are softened; use more butter if you need it. Add the ham or gammon. Sprinkle the steak with seasoned flour, then layer the steak, quartered hard-boiled egg yolks, shallots, mushrooms, ham and pigeon breasts in the pie dish with a pie funnel in the centre. Fill up the dish with the stock and leave to cool.

Pre-heat the oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas mark 7. Cut off a 1 inch/2.5cm strip around the edge of the pastry. Moisten the rim of the pie dish and fit on the strip, sealing the join. Moisten the strip lightly and fit on the pastry cover. Knock up or flute the edge if you wish. Cut some triangular slits in the crust to let steam escape, lift the flaps slightly, then brush the crust with egg wash.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
naah, gimme a cheese steak with fried onions , hot peppers and ketchup. Make it a large from Pat's. This is the only time i miss a Chesterfield Ale (made by Yuengling)

Screw it, aint nobody gettin out of the house today, weve got about 10" of snow and the roads are all jammed up with people in flipped over SUV's (the feeling of immortality gets to the suburbanites very quickly)
Only thing moving is tractors and trucks now. Darwin day at U Penn and the Phila Academy will have to wait till next year for his 138Th.

Maybe we could dig him up and stuff Im like Jeremy Bentham.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
just ignore this, it was a double post. I was impatient and hit the button twice
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
discard the bones

"discard the bones!!!"

In Darwin Day pigeon pie.

What a toss-pot,half-baked,spragged-up ritual this is with the bones being "discarded".

The pigeons bones were Darwin's pride and joy.By carefully measuring the lengths of all the bones after the flesh had been discarded,after Darwin had throttled them, with scientific instruments of the very latest up-to-date design he satisisfied himself,and many others,including the elite participants to this thread,that we are all monkeys going hopping about accompanied by all the other little mannerisms monkeys have,and explained the discrepancy between our feats and those of monkeys by simply saying that we just are very,very,good at it.

One presumes he smiled.

Discarding the bones seems to completely depart from any semblance of real spirit in a celebration of the great man's birthday or death day,I've forgot which.

Maybe it's only some of us who are descended from monkeys.Monkeys would discard the bones so they could never get round to measuring any of them to prove they were monkeys which they might have felt was un-necessary anyway.

Those of us who slid down a rainbow would insist that the bones be ground to a paste,mixed with some castor oil and poked down the gizzards of the diners with a stick.

A proper religious occasion would demand at least that otherwise it might look like another piss-up courtesy of the tax-payers.
0 Replies