Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

farmerman

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
Wande, the letter to the editor from the beekeepers perspective is that he is immediately linking aspects that hes observed to a "miraculous" beginning. When you think about it, most of the order Hymenoptera which include waspesand bees have developed some common social behaviors and hive construction to that order (wasps also build hex shaped paper nests, as do paper hornets)
Hes forgotten an important feature of the insects social behavior, theyve had to develop this since the evolution of andiosperm plants. Thats an adaptation that has a time of beginning thats secure in the fossil record. "Flowers" as a plants strategy for reproduction had to coincide with inducing a pollinator to have a hand in the plants survival. The act of collectring and storing nectar is dependent upon the existence of the flowering plants, hes so focused on the "miracle of the hive" ad the honey dance, hes forgotten that this entire act had to occur sometime since the mid Cretaceous.
Thats my story and Im gonna stick with it until I figure out what gets spendi all pissed off at me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:21 pm
Spendi has taken a contrarian position--it does not matter that he cannot support his position with either scientific knowledge, knowledge of politics and contemporary American society, never mind history--as he has taken that contrarian position, it pisses him off that anyone disagrees with him.

He's a religion of one and we are all infidels. As religions go, his is loonier than most.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:24 pm
timber-

I am merely stating roughly the received view of the situtation voters have.It does not represent my own views.I have no views.I just stand in wonder and awe as the carnival rolls past my eyeballs and I come very close to Veblen's definition of a scientist which I don't think is a definition widely accepted.

The voter,en masse,has the impression that Darwin says we are descended from monkeys.That we are,in effect,monkeys ourselves.

I can understand that you are not partial to my "positions and pontifications" but that is no reason to slag off my disinterestedness which I try to make apparent in all my posts.If you think I have a position you have not read me carefully enough.The sooner one takes a position the sooner one ceases to be scientific.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
Mr Setanta-

It amazes me that anyone would sit down at a keyboard to gush out such pointless and predictable drivel as your last post it.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm
It would most certainly piss me off if you agreed with me.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:33 pm
fm-

I'm not even slightly pissed off with you.I only pretended to be a couple of times in order to dissuade you from cheap smears as a way of conducting a debate.And it wasn't on my own behalf.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:39 pm
You flatter yourself in an unwarranted manner if you have ever believed that i sat down at this keyboard for any reasons having to do with you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:36 pm
As for me, I wasnt ever concerned for my safety but yours. You seem to be like the drunk who always challenging the buses in the street.
I would love nothing more than to debate with you but you , go off onto tangents sometimes that only are meaningful to you. It leaves me with no alternative than to poke at you rather than ignore you completely. youve taken time to post some rather extensive observations that , although irrelevant to what were actually debating about, I feel we should give you some response. As you may (or may not recall), My and others original tack with you was talking sense, then we degraded into questioning what you were actually saying. Then, most recently <Ive just thrown up my hands and said , "I have no idea of what youre speaking" .

If I shot cheap smears, It not because I was doing it proactively, in all cases I was responding.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:02 pm
Mr Setanta wrote-

Quote:
Spendi has taken a contrarian position--it does not matter that he cannot support his position with either scientific knowledge, knowledge of politics and contemporary American society, never mind history--as he has taken that contrarian position, it pisses him off that anyone disagrees with him.

He's a religion of one and we are all infidels. As religions go, his is loonier than most.

And after that he wrote-

Quote:
You flatter yourself in an unwarranted manner if you have ever believed that i sat down at this keyboard for any reasons having to do with you.

So I'm completly confused.Not that that is a novel experience.I've been completely confused for as long as I can remember.

P.S. It is usual practice for those who have been reasonably well educated to use "I" rather than "i" when referring to oneself.

P.P.S.Is "contrarian" a word?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:08 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Then, most recently <Ive just thrown up my hands and said , "I have no idea of what youre speaking" .

Is that a novel experience?Have been under a stone?Sheeesh!!!
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:45 pm
I'm not sure if this is on topic or not but I read today that the new leader of our Conservative Party once,in his younger days,checked himself into a clinic for "tests".

I just thought you might like to know that he was given the "all clear".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9199/bunny9hj.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9199/bunny9hj.jpg

Ahhh, now I get it. Thank you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:31 am
I took some time off and went shopping for a new varmint gun yesterday. Its a SW 50 cal (I love that gun). The ammo is as big as a chapstick. Is that too much gun for a groundhog eradication program?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:15 am
Lip bomb?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:18 am
Hello Bernie-

Where've you been.The SDers need some intellectual support.They can only rustle up insults,assertions and blusterings.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:22 am
I might not know much about contemporary American society as Mr Setanta asserts but one of the things I do know is that 50m of your 281 m population can get a majority in the Senate.And those states are likely solid ID.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:32 am
spendius wrote:
I might not know much about contemporary American society as Mr Setanta asserts but one of the things I do know is that 50m of your 281 m population can get a majority in the Senate.And those states are likely solid ID.

Spendi, do you think that valid science should be determined by votes?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:36 am
good day, spendi

I'm afraid I feel an obligation to the support only of my deceased mother's memory. She was a chubby thing of agrarian sensibility and pacifist temperment (other than when we took out a window or some fine china with a homemade hockey puck) and jam-packed with the sincere and un-alloyed love that only obtains in a godless universe (unless, of course, that god looks exactly like her and the angels exactly like her children).
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:47 am
still taking our Mr aspirin a day Bernie?
0 Replies