Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

farmerman

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
no no please , I was kidding about the sundials too.
0 Replies

raprap

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:53 pm
To make a sundial all you have to do is fimd north---somewhere around here I remember a discussion on how to find north.

Oh Wait!--------

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:35 pm
hee hee, touche!
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:56 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
spendius, we do enjoy our circus. However, unlike British soccer and /or Nascar, nobody dies.

Despite your protests after having been called I think you were being serious and also petite bourgeoise to boot.

Enjoying circuses is an old custom but when deaths are minimised razzamattazz takes over and what you get is more optical illusion and hysteria than anything else.The guy on the till with the green eyeshade knows better.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 06:57 am
Superbowl is a sacrificial offering of oil to placate Mammon.A religious festival par exellence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:10 am
Mammon, wow , havent heard about mammon for many a year. Matthew 6:24 right?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:16 am
The origin of schizophrenia.
0 Replies

raprap

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:20 am
Hey I got a segue (sorry not segway that's a scooter), Spendius

I always though of the Gee Dwbya Bush tax cut that rewards the few at the cost of the many, as a offering to Mammon.

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:30 am
Rap-

I figured segue but Segway works as well.

Segue is a sort of fancy dance step ain't it.

Funny though.No wonder I'm a bit flippant.

There's people around earning rights to heavy oil consumption patterns from condemning the very things which provide them.

No wonder cats can't laugh.They would become extinct if they could.
0 Replies

raprap

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:35 am
No FM, Mammon comes from the Simpson's

Montgomery Burn's mansion is on Mammon Way.

Rap
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:37 am
damn, I need to get a Simpsons trivia book. Is there such a thing?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:11 am
Below is an actual "letter to the editor" published in a local newspaper. (I am withholding the name of the writer. The newspaper is from Augusta, Maine.)

Quote:
Another look at intelligent design vs. evolution: In God's book, the Bible, he says we can know him by his creation. At least 80 percent of scientists now believe in intelligent design, and some don't even know the designer.
As one example, consider the honeybee. With observation hives, Karl Von Frish discovered bee communication.
One bee tells every other bee by different dances in the hive. A round dance is for a nectar source within 75 yards. Beyond 75 yards, she uses a wiggle-tail dance.
Different parts of this dance show exactly where and the quantity of the source. The guide is the infrared rays of the sun.
The bees' hexagonal comb is the best engineering design for strength and storage.
To survive the winter inside the hive, the bees form a ball with the queen in the center; and inside this ball of insulation, other bees flap their wings to create heat. The bees in the ball rotate in and out of the center.
Honeybees' intelligence is seemingly overwhelming when you consider that their brains consist only of several ganglia.
The bees are just a small part of nature where all parts are interlocked and depend on each other.
In his book, God says, "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God." For emphasis, God says this twice, in Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1. So every time we see an article or letter extolling evolution, we can be sure who's talking.

Anybody interested in critiquing this letter to the editor?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:33 am
wande-

The editor must take a very dim view of his readers,if there are any.

It is more a comment on the American educational system.

With that in mind I will quote a sentence from Churchill's Grand Alliance by John Charmley pertaining to discussions British officials had with President Eisenhower and Mr John Foster Dulles about getting rid of Nasser.A failure which still haunts us to this day and for many years to come.

"But once again,it was by no means clear that the administration knew how it wanted to achieve this objective;as so often in American diplomacy,the statement of an objective was taken as tantamount to its being achieved."

And this thread has amply demonstrated that this propensity has obviously "trickled down" into the population at large.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Thanks, spendius..............but I was hoping for a critique from rosborne or farmerman.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
wandeljw wrote:
Anybody interested in critiquing this letter to the editor?

I'm not sure there's much to critique. The writer has a right to their opinion, no matter how irrational.

The newspaper is probably interested in representing a range of views from its readers and this may be the only one they got for this particular view.

The letter itself obviously draws innacurate conclusions from a scientific perspective, and the statement that 80% of scientists believe in Intelligent Design is highly suspicious.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 02:38 pm
Two Wisconsin state legislators are going against the trend by making it more difficult to teach intelligent design in public schools.

Quote:
Bill would ban intelligent design from science courses
(RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press, February 7, 2006)

MADISON, Wis. - Two Democratic lawmakers introduced a plan Tuesday that would ban public schools from teaching intelligent design as science, saying "pseudo-science" should have no place in the classroom.

The proposal is the first of its kind in the country, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, and comes as a debate over how to teach the origins of human life rages in local school districts.

The bill's sponsor, Rep. Terese Berceau, D-Madison, acknowledged the measure faced an uphill fight in a Legislature where Republicans control both houses.

The measure would force material included in science curriculums to describe only natural processes. The material also would need to follow the definitions of science adopted by the National Academy of Sciences.

Berceau said science education is under attack across the country as proponents of intelligent design push to have the theory taught as an alternative to evolution. The theory holds that the universe was created by a supreme being rather than natural selection promoted by Darwin's theory of evolution.

Critics say intelligent design is a thinly disguised promotion of religion that lacks any basis in science. A federal judge in Pennsylvania agreed in December in a landmark ruling striking down one school district's policy.

"Our children must be exposed to what science really is about and how the scientific enterprise functions, free of political or religious connotations," Berceau said at a news conference where she was flanked by Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, and University of Wisconsin-Madison professors. "It is designed to prevent the introduction of pseudo-science in the science classroom."

Under her plan, parents could file lawsuits if their children's science teachers went beyond the curriculum to teach non-science-based theories, she said. Berceau said philosophy or other courses could teach intelligent design or other religious-based theories.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
Quote said-

Quote:
Critics say intelligent design is a thinly disguised promotion of religion that lacks any basis in science.

wande say-

Quote:
hypothesis: a proposed explanation that can be verified, modified, or refuted

Suppose,just for the sake of argument,that some science says that religion is holding the line above a general descent into monkeydom.Monkeys,which other sciences say we are descendents of,would,now they can talk and think, vote for a descent back into monkeydom because it is fed up of all these moral strictures holding them back from their natural state in which flashing a tit at the Superbowl is merely a foretaste of the proceedings.

Wouldn't that test the hypothesis quoted or would it simply be a question of whether social science had priority over physical science in the battle for the "soul" of the nation and easier to win if the next generation have been softened up correctly,whichever way is correct.

A democratic process worthy of a nation which a president said would rather have liberty than good government.(Ike).

Was the Superbowl exhibition the sharp end of the SDers argument.How could any self-respecting monkey object to that itsy-bitsy peek no matter how posh it had got?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:19 pm
wande wrote-

Quote:
Thanks, spendius..............but I was hoping for a critique from rosborne or farmerman.

He hoped that because he knows those two will agree with his position and give him a warm glow of satisfaction were they to grace us with their response which,by now,has become somewhat predictable
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
spendius,

Some of your comments are interesting. My definition of hypothesis would apply to social science as well as natural science.

However, I get confused because I can not tell whether your argument is sociological or scientific (scientific as used to describe natural or physical science).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 03:55 pm
spendi wrote:
Monkeys,which other sciences say we are descendents of

Displaying blatant ignorance there, if not outright conscious dishonesty, spendi, affirming the value and merit of your position and pontifications.
0 Replies