Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

au1929

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:50 am
Vatican gives a nod to evolution
The Vatican newspaper published an article this week labeling as "correct" the decision by a judge in Pennsylvania last month that the concept of intelligent design could not be taught as a scientific alternative to evolution.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/18/news/evolution.php
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
Setanta-

I have already told you my opinion of Tacitus.

Your lengthy post is elementary.It hides the being streams with which I concern myself behind a pedantic description of a very small number of carefully chosen incidents mostly of little account.It is inhuman.It is almost like playing with toy soldiers.There was no endings or beginnings.There is continuous becoming.Blocking it all off into compartments might make it all easier to satisfy a non-critical understanding but that has nothing to do with me.The Merovingian and Gothic mindsets are still alive in many parts of the world as are those of other cultural manifestations.

The basic characteristics of a religion don't lie in its doctrines and rituals.Those are decorations.One might just as easily say that a house is made of wallpaper.The character of a religion lies in the specific spirituality of the men who adopt it and speak and feel and think within it as a way of coping with the world they are in.A modern American city dweller hasn't the remotest chance of understanding Classical times.He can only gawp at its residues.

The scientific mindset is a religion.It is one which must needs define the USA as an agglomeration of 280 million lonely microcosms under the control of feared regulations and persuasion techniques of a psychological character playing on the loneliness and offering false palliatives for it.

The language itself carries of necessity the whole metaphysical content of the Culture and it shifts from moment to moment as the Culture shifts likewise.That is why languages are defended so vigourously and why new styles are developed by such things as street gangs or certain professions.Foucault will clue you in on the latter.

To mention Spengler-he says (1920) that it is an impossibility that the dogmatic advance of Faustian Christianity can continue in America."Whatever disconnects itself from the land becomes rigid and hard."

Maybe there is the root of the dispute.I'm a country boy in tune with nature's rhythms.No need to get overexcited about it then.Just cultural incongruence.Can't you deal with the other side without resorting to bluster,insult and assertion.They are signs of intolerance.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
Excerpt from the article linked by au1929:

Quote:
"If the model proposed by Darwin is not considered sufficient, one should search for another one," Fiorenzo Facchini, a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of Bologna, wrote in the Jan. 16-17 edition of the paper, L'Osservatore Romano.

"But it is not correct from a methodological point of view to stray from the field of science while pretending to do science," he wrote. "It only creates confusion between the scientific plane and those that are philosophical or religious."
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
Setanta-

How many historians would you like me to mention.They are ten a penny.History is a soft option.Have you read The Sleepwalkers by Koestler.

Flaubert read more history than you know exists.It was his source material.Stendhal was in history.He was an aide-de-camp to Napoleon and was in Moscow and was expelled from Italy being suspected of spying and seducing Princesses.Ovid condensed the legends of his time in Metamorpheses and was close to power until he slipped up.Mailer is a great historian.His Ancient Evenings is a result of deep study.Rabelais sits astride literature as is a giant's right.Frank Harris invented tabloid journalism and is great fun too.Eco is just Eco.

"Gasbags"!These guys gasbags.I could quote scientific facts converted into art from that lot which would make your hair stand on end.Try to conduct this debate on a meaningful plane will you.Assertions,and "gasbags" is so utterly ridiculous as to lose you all remaining sympathy,are a sheer waste of time and effort when directed my way.You might as well address them to the dog as to me.

I bet you haven't even read the Malleus Malificarum.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
See my last post, Spendi--note the word gasbag--i have no further reason to discuss with you a topic on which you are so evidently ill-informed. You just like all the pretty words--it never matters to you that you make no sense with them.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:48 am
spendius wrote:
Setanta-

I have already told you my opinion of Tacitus.

Your lengthy post is elementary.It hides the being streams with which I concern myself behind a pedantic description of a very small number of carefully chosen incidents mostly of little account.It is inhuman.It is almost like playing with toy soldiers.There was no endings or beginnings.There is continuous becoming.Blocking it all off into compartments might make it all easier to satisfy a non-critical understanding but that has nothing to do with me.The Merovingian and Gothic mindsets are still alive in many parts of the world as are those of other cultural manifestations.

The basic characteristics of a religion don't lie in its doctrines and rituals.Those are decorations.One might just as easily say that a house is made of wallpaper.The character of a religion lies in the specific spirituality of the men who adopt it and speak and feel and think within it as a way of coping with the world they are in.A modern American city dweller hasn't the remotest chance of understanding Classical times.He can only gawp at its residues.

The scientific mindset is a religion.It is one which must needs define the USA as an agglomeration of 280 million lonely microcosms under the control of feared regulations and persuasion techniques of a psychological character playing on the loneliness and offering false palliatives for it.

The language itself carries of necessity the whole metaphysical content of the Culture and it shifts from moment to moment as the Culture shifts likewise.That is why languages are defended so vigourously and why new styles are developed by such things as street gangs or certain professions.Foucault will clue you in on the latter.

To mention Spengler-he says (1920) that it is an impossibility that the dogmatic advance of Faustian Christianity can continue in America."Whatever disconnects itself from the land becomes rigid and hard."

Maybe there is the root of the dispute.I'm a country boy in tune with nature's rhythms.No need to get overexcited about it then.Just cultural incongruence.Can't you deal with the other side without resorting to bluster,insult and assertion.They are signs of intolerance.

... not wishing to be co-lateral damage, I think I'll just go down the air raid shelter for a while...
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:54 am
wande-

It is obvious,I predicted it way back,that the Vatican would approve of Judge Jones's decision.
The fragmentation of religion in America brings discredit on Religion but it is going to be a long haul to remove it and restore proper authority and one can but hope that it will one day come about.
The "religion" you have all been attacking is a straw man.It has no long term future.

But,as Keynes said,-"In the long run we are all dead."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
spendius wrote:
The fragmentation of religion in America brings discredit on Religion but it is going to be a long haul to remove it and restore proper authority and one can but hope that it will one day come about.

In my opinion, the only proper authority is the authority of a secular government.

I hope I am wrong, spendi, but you seem to be advocating theocracy.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
wande-

Not really.

But in one of its meanings theocracy is a form of government ruled by men guided by God.I understood you already have that.

If you mean,as you might,government "guided" by celibate theologians I would incline to that-yes.But my definition of celibacy might not be quite what popular media says it is.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 12:06 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
-it never matters to you that you make no sense with them

I make sense to those I make sense to and I don't to those I don't.And everyone else has the same problem.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
Mailer, Flaubert, Stendhal, Rabelais, Ovid, Frank Harris and Umberto Eco--not an historian among them--but certainly no shortage of gasbags. No wonder you like them.

Some self-styled Historians are gasbags as well.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Mailer, Flaubert, Stendhal, Rabelais, Ovid, Frank Harris and Umberto Eco--not an historian among them--but certainly no shortage of gasbags. No wonder you like them.

Hey, can I be a gasbag too? Everyone else gets to be a gasbag. It's not fair.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
OK by me. It's a common trait here.
0 Replies

au1929

Thu 19 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
spendius wrote

Quote:
But in one of its meanings theocracy is a form of government ruled by men guided by God.I understood you already have that.

Who has that???
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:53 am
It was a little jest au deriving from a reported statement by Mr Bush.

But just to clarify one simple matter-

Orphism, as a religion of faith, came under the attack of the philosophers. In The Republic, Plato warns:

"They produce a whole collection of books of ritual instructions written by Musaeus and Orpheus, and they persuade not only individuals but whole communities that, both for living and dead, remission and absolution of sins may be had by sacrifices and childish performances, which they are pleased to call initiations, and which they allege deliver us from all ills in the next world, where terrible things await the uninitiated." (364b-365a)

Hesiod even (800BC) was aware of the doctrine of original sin and punishment in the afterlife.

It is not down to Christianity that these doctrines were in the world.Christianity had to adopt them in order to progress just like aetheists have to adopt doctrines of marriage and blood relations to prevent themselves being laughed at.Such doctrines are ridiculous for an unconfused aetheist as are the ones about rape,bank robbing and price gouging.
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:57 am
spendius wrote:
I have no interest in Aristotle or Plato.Fossils of the mind.But I realise that when people trot their names out it can make them seem educated,and thus superior,to those of a nervous disposition.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:48 am
I'm sorry that my intention with the last post has confused you Francis.I stand by the quote of mine you gave from an earlier post.

One needs to show I feel that those who think they know more about organising societies than do the theologians of Rome do not always have the information necessary even in such a simple case as the one referred to which they have made such a fuss about.Christianity (Faustianism) has fought a constant battle with pagan religious residues which derive from agrarian communities and have not yet won that battle.
Attacks on Christianity seem to me to be a case of biting the hand that feeds you probably stemming from a dissatisfied mind.

Do you think that Paganism could have evolved to form this mighty civilisation it is our privelege to belong to?Point me to a book which suggests it could have and offers a non-ridiculous mechanism for doing so.I will read it with keen interest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:36 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Leaving aside the fact that i have never purported to be an historian of any description, i would note that i can think of few members better qualified to comment upon the characteristics of gasbags.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
Quote:
Kentucky Group vs. Intelligent Design
(By Patrick Crowley, Cincinnati Enquirer, January 8, 2006)
A statewide organization of science teachers and researchers will oppose moves by Kentucky lawmakers to mandate the teaching of intelligent design in public school science classes.
The Kentucky Academy of Science, headed by Northern Kentucky University biology professor Miriam Steinitz Kannan, voted unanimously last week "to oppose any attempt by legislative bodies to mandate specific content of science courses," the 700-member organization said in a statement.
"The (academy) objects to attempts to equate 'scientific creationism' or 'intelligent design' with evolution as a scientific explanation of events," the academy said. "KAS members believe the content of science courses taught in public schools in Kentucky should be determined by the standards of the scientific community."
The academy, which is based at the University of Kentucky, said intelligent design is not a scientifically tested theory.
"Science involves a continuing systematic inquiry into the manifold aspects of the biological and physical world," the academy said. "It is based upon testable theories, which may change with new data; it cannot include interpretations based on faith. Teaching faith-based models implies that these views are equivalent alternatives among scientists. These models mislead students as to what is considered the scientific method."
The academy said it "respects" religious beliefs and viewpoints "but objects to attempts to require any religious teachings as science in public schools."
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
The Kentucky Academy of Science, headed by Northern Kentucky University biology professor Miriam Steinitz Kannan, voted unanimously last week "to oppose any attempt by legislative bodies to mandate specific content of science courses,"

I wonder if Miriam's personal inhibitions cause her to mandate the specific content of biology courses.
I'll bet they do.
0 Replies