Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

izzythepush

Tue 20 Aug, 2019 01:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for reminding me, I've got mine today.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Aug, 2019 07:13 am
@farmerman,
only had it out long enough to take care of business, forgot how much UV there is up here. The shack is at 8000 ASL, the valley floor is still above 7000. No flying yet, still repairing some minor damage from an incident on takeoff last year.

Actually, one of the joys of being out here is the freedom to lay naked in the sun if the mood strikes.

PS: Hope your last turn on the table turns out better than mine. They **** up another wire every time for me.
blatham

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 06:52 pm
Quote:
Up until late 1990s archaeologists would not dig past the 9,000 year level because it was forbidden to find anything older than that in the Americas.
Oh my ******* god.
farmerman

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 09:23 pm
@blatham,
dont encourage him. He knows not what he knows not. Jewels--try reading some papers by a guy named Jim Adavasio .
Jewels Vern

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 09:29 pm
@farmerman,
"Jewels--try reading some papers by a guy named Jim Adavasio ."

I don't have the patience to wade through your bullsnot. Science proceeds by observations and tests, not by authoritative pronouncements and personal insults.
ekename

Sat 24 Aug, 2019 10:04 pm
@Jewels Vern,
Quote:
There is no controversy between religion and science. The controversies are all between rightness and authority. God is the God of rightness. Satan is the god of this world, offering authority to any who work with him.

Quote:
I don't have the patience to wade through your bullsnot. Science proceeds by observations and tests, not by authoritative pronouncements and personal insults.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 04:24 am
@Leadfoot,
I hope you're applying sunscreen in places you normally cover when you lie naked in the sun. Just sayin'.
MontereyJack

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 04:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Ah. I see I came late to the discussion. Scrolled farther back. Ouch.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 04:53 am
@Jewels Vern,
Jim Adavasio IS the scientist whose own field work has reset when humans first populated this hemisphere. His teams finds at Meadowcroft rock shelter (near Pittsburgh Pa)were excavated to a depth of human habitation that corresponds with time over 16000 to 18000 years ago.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 08:55 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6887678)
dont encourage him.
Just aghast at the intellectual carnage.
farmerman

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:06 am
@blatham,
surprised though??
When folks deny validity of education, I see it as a cloaking device covering their envy.
blatham

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:18 am
@farmerman,
I'm not that familiar with this fellow's notions though we've all seen this anti-science stuff countless times before.

And I would not argue against your suspicion that envy is at the core of this.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 09:28 am
@farmerman,
Compared to Quahog the guy's a ******* genius.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 25 Aug, 2019 04:16 pm
Quote:
American politics has often been an arena for angry minds. In recent years we have seen angry minds at work mainly among extreme right-wingers, who have now demonstrated in the Goldwater movement how much political leverage can be got out of the animosities and passions of a small minority. But behind this I believe there is a style of mind that is far from new and that is not necessarily right-wing. I call it the paranoid style simply because no other word adequately evokes the sense of heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy that I have in mind. In using the expression “paranoid style” I am not speaking in a clinical sense, but borrowing a clinical term for other purposes. I have neither the competence nor the desire to classify any figures of the past or present as certifiable lunatics. In fact, the idea of the paranoid style as a force in politics would have little contemporary relevance or historical value if it were applied only to men with profoundly disturbed minds. It is the use of paranoid modes of expression by more or less normal people that makes the phenomenon significant.

Of course this term is pejorative, and it is meant to be; the paranoid style has a greater affinity for bad causes than good. But nothing really prevents a sound program or demand from being advocated in the paranoid style. Style has more to do with the way in which ideas are believed than with the truth or falsity of their content. I am interested here in getting at our political psychology through our political rhetoric. The paranoid style is an old and recurrent phenomenon in our public life which has been frequently linked with movements of suspicious discontent...
The Paranoid Style in American Politics - by historian Richard Hofstadter

More directly to the point though is Hofstadter's wonderful book "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life".
0 Replies

popeye1945

Tue 19 Jan, 2021 05:31 pm
@Setanta,
Intelligent design, something for the brain dead to ponder. Which includes much of the United States, Trump country!! LOL!! Sorry this wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.
farmerman

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:41 am
@wandeljw,
sleep WELL WANDELL , we miss your quiet reasoning
0 Replies

The Anointed

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 05:38 pm
@popeye1945,
The space station and all it intricate and complex ground support systems, have all evolved from the wheel, without any intelligent design?
farmerman

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:08 pm
@The Anointed,
ah yes, the old "broken wristwatch on the heath argument"

complexiy of tools is a function of the species using em. A mongee can always use a rock to bust a nut. selection fused two mongee chromosomes to evolve the clan that even needs a watch.(or a space station)
farmerman

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:10 pm
@farmerman,
I reopened this thread as a hout out to our departed friend wandell who always asked the pertinent questions, like the one with which he started this thread.
The Anointed

Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:18 pm
@farmerman,
Then, Good for you young fellow.