Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

camlok

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I went through a lot of C4 but most was just lighting a match to it to heat my C-rats in Nam.

The man who has found god. I hope you seek forgiveness before you meet you maker.
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:50 am
@Saberta,
Quote:
Everything goes by chance

That is the crux of the argument isn't it...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:53 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"I went through a lot of C4 but most was just lighting a match to it to heat my C-rats in Nam."

The man who has found god. I hope you seek forgiveness before you meet you maker.
There is a lot I need to seek forgiveness for, but I have to ask - What is in in that quote that makes you think so?
camlok

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 11:53 am
@Leadfoot,
I withdraw my comment. I may well have made an unwarranted assumption. Either way, I apologise.

I wonder why you got voted down for your post.
farmerman

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 01:56 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Rest died in the Tet offensive of 68.
Mark Bowdens new book :Hue 1968" will be out on June 6. I have a galley copy which I was asked to review. Its really a great story he told. Took him 5 years. His thesis was "Nam was where we really began to distrust out leaders" Not new when on "search and avoid", but I think it will hve to become a movie .

We cant use TNT or "C"compounds for mine and quarry blasting (unless we wish to do real damage or make **** disappear fast, instead we choose "deflegration compounds". C's are waay too fast to work in a quarry or mine. We want to rumble the ground so the slower the blasts the better. Thats why we use ANFO or semtex cord.

BTW, are you on the road? or havent you left.
camlok

Thu 1 Jun, 2017 02:30 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Mark Bowdens new book :Hue 1968" will be out on June 6. I have a galley copy which I was asked to review. Its really a great story he told. ome a movie .

When will you deeply evil people write books, make movies about your prolific war crimes?

Why didn't your wife simply read the book instead of asking you to review it?
Leadfoot

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 08:15 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
His thesis was "Nam was where we really began to distrust out leaders"

It sure was for me.

I was drafted and not crazy about going (I'd just met my first wife at the time) but I had a strong reverence for the US Government. If they said I had to go then I assumed it was a just cause and a job that needed to be done. I could not conceive of the Federal Government lying. The shock of discovering what a complete liar my dear uncle Sam was changed me forever.

I'll definitely watch for "Hue 1968". "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason is another one that mirrored my experience. For movies, "A bright Shining Lie" was pretty good. The title kind of says it all

Interesting about ANFO and the kind of blast you're looking for. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Family get together on the 6th so I'll leave for CO the next day. Mom is 93 so I shouldn't miss this one. She still drives and doesn't scare me yet, but still..

Leadfoot

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 08:24 am
@camlok,
Quote:
I may well have made an unwarranted assumption. Either way, I apologise.

Apology accepted.

Yep, there were war crimes, but it wasn't the kids they sent over there that were mainly responsible. The kids got shafted from all sides. Betrayed by their leaders and spit on when they came home. No one said 'Thank you for your service' in those days. The 'war on terror' is just as stupid but at least we aren't blaming the kids this time.
farmerman

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 08:33 am
@Leadfoot,
Bowden is the author of BLACKHAWK DOWN, and GUESTS OF THE IYATOLA . Hes a friend who is able to write History in a creativ style.
If you leave on the 6th the long term weather is for continued stormy stuff getting to the Rocky flatirons.
When we had ofices out there my one geophysics manager had a Mooney which wed fly to the east and up to laramie. Every damn day in the summertime wed usually get caught in the middle of some kind of major downpour with dangerous winds. My job was to rad the radar weather and warn him of any really dark purple stuff. The Mooney was a good plane though
camlok

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 08:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Ron Kovic says you gotta let those "kids" know what they are doing, what they are involved in. Vietnam was a massive war crime, as is Iraq and Afghanistan.

If Germany had feted their soldiers after WWII the way the USA does theirs, there would have been a world wide outcry.
Leadfoot

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 08:57 am
@farmerman,
I didn't make the connection to Blackhawk Down and Bowden. That was a well written piece.

You're not a Bimmer fan but I consider Mooney the BMW of airplanes. Reasonably fast, responsive and efficient. Cessnas are Chevy sedans, Pipers are Fords - pretty boring.

I used to use XM Weather to avoid the rough stuff but ADS-B does it for free now. Only down side is it doesn't work until you're in-flight unless you happen to be near a ground station. I thought the FAA should have bought their own satellite instead of the ground based system they went with.

Yep, weather looking pretty unstable for this later than usual CO trip. Plan is to start early (05:00) and hold up in cheap motels when the storms build.

Leadfoot

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 09:03 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Ron Kovic says you gotta let those "kids" know what they are doing, what they are involved in.
Fat chance of that happening. Using Nam as the example, do you really think Nixon & Kissinger would tell us that they purposely prolonged the war in order to improve Dick's chances of re-election?

I'm not making that up; it is established fact.
farmerman

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 12:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
I liked riding in the Mooney. It was comfortable and well appointed for long distance flying. He bought it from some wildcatter who went bust and needed cash to pay for more drilling. I met the guy when h bounced back and bought a jet for which he hired a crew.

I use Sirius/XM for weather on the road cause they have a "deep data web" source that can be subscribed and drag down data is available to put into reports for water usages.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 03:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
Ai yi yi..

Glad you flicked the right switch near the end..

You are right about me liking real life stories, generally.

What or where is MS? (I read this thread faithfully (heh!) but miss or forget stuff or have people in detention.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:25 am
@camlok,
Quote:

Why didn't your wife simply read the book instead of asking you to review it?

You have no idea what it means to review a book, do you. You must have missed the book review assignments in grades K-12. perhaps you should take a remedial class.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:27 am
@camlok,
Quote:
If Germany had feted their soldiers after WWII the way the USA does theirs, there would have been a world wide outcry.

The would have, had they won.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:32 am
To say that war is hell, is giving to much credit to hell. Every country in every war has committed what are consider war crimes. The intentional killing of civilians and surrendering soldiers is all to common.

It is well that war is so terrible — lest we should grow too fond of it. ~ Robert E. Lee
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 10:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Fat chance of that happening.

I know. That is why US war crimes continue unabated.

Quote:
Using Nam as the example, do you really think Nixon & Kissinger would tell us that they purposely prolonged the war in order to improve Dick's chances of re-election?

I'm not making that up; it is established fact.

The historical record is replete with their war crimes, their viciousness, their evil. But sadly, it is never discussed by Americans.
kk4mds

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 06:18 pm
@camlok,
People don't generally discuss the war crimes committed by their countries except in historical context. During WWI and WWII civilians and surrendering soldiers were particularly targeted by both sides. Now, we call it acceptable collateral damage.

You are wrong in singling out the US for war crimes. The soldiers of every combatant nation has committed them, with or without their nations approval.

In past historical times raping and pillaging were considered to be the benefits accorded to conquering soldiers, and not war crimes. The concept is rather modern.

Whether or not Nixon and Kissinger committed was crimes depends on you definition. The certainly committed crimes against the Americans who died as a result of their procrastination for political reasons.
camlok

Tue 6 Jun, 2017 07:30 pm
@kk4mds,
You make the same phony excuses all the supporters of war criminals/terrorists make.

There are international laws that define war crimes and the US meets those in myriad cases.

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg. And Nuremberg means Nuremberg and Tokyo. So first of all you’ve got to think back as to what people were hanged for at Nuremberg and Tokyo. And once you think back, the question doesn’t even require a moment’s waste of time."
- Noam Chomsky

Quote:
In past historical times raping and pillaging were considered to be the benefits accorded to conquering soldiers, and not war crimes. The concept is rather modern.

Correct. Modern international law is defined by the Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunals, largely a construct of the USA. These things are war crimes, of that there is no doubt. That US soldiers engaged in these rapes is well known and well documented.

Quote:
Whether or not Nixon and Kissinger committed was crimes depends on you definition. The certainly committed crimes against the Americans who died as a result of their procrastination for political reasons.

Here we go again - the whining about how Americans have suffered in light of the tens of millions the US has slaughtered.

Nixon and Kissinger are war criminals as defined by international law. Go back to the beginning and read.

It's despicable to make excuses for evil.