Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Setanta

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:43 pm
Why? Have we not been told all of our lives that there is no fool like an old fool?
farmerman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:53 pm
@Setanta,
well, some day, you and I shall be as old as he and , rather than having him wet his depends, Ill be nice to him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:56 pm
I suppose that i am not so motivated because people (around here, that is) are so rarely nice to me. Godwin being a case in point.
Leadfoot

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:58 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're wasting your time with Godwin here.
You're probably right about that.

I think a dialog with any chance of understanding on both sides requires a mutual respect and trust on both sides. Hope springs eternal, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards here.

I did enjoy it nonetheless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:05 pm
Lies and distortions have never lead me to respect and trust. Your biggest lie has been that you actually have any interest in this topic.
Leadfoot

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 06:50 pm
@Setanta,
Love you too Set...
0 Replies

layman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

people (around here, that is) are so rarely nice to me.

Gee, I wonder why that would be, eh?

VICTIMIZED, yet again, sho nuff.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You either ignore it or give an only slightly more sophisticated version of Set's 'Don't pedal your BS here'. Never have you given a direct reply to the issues raised in my arguments.

True dat, Leddy. Farmer ignores everything and just makes assertions. He don't answer nuthin. His faith is no less than any fundy I've run into.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:54 pm
From the abstract, eh?:

Quote:
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2007 Dec;38(4):807-19. Epub 2007 Nov 19.

Bacteria are small but not stupid: cognition, natural genetic engineering and socio-bacteriology.

Forty years' experience as a bacterial geneticist has taught me that bacteria possess many cognitive, computational and evolutionary capabilities unimaginable in the first six decades of the twentieth century...bacteria continually monitor their external and internal environments and compute functional outputs based on information provided by their sensory apparatus.

Contemporary research in many laboratories on cell-cell signaling, symbiosis and pathogenesis show that bacteria utilise sophisticated mechanisms for intercellular communication and even have the ability to commandeer the basic cell biology of 'higher' plants and animals to meet their own needs. This remarkable series of observations requires us to revise basic ideas about biological information processing and recognise that even the smallest cells are sentient beings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053935
0 Replies

layman

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:27 pm
More about the same guy I quoted in the last post.

Quote:
James Alan Shapiro is an American biologist, an expert in bacterial genetics and a professor in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Chicago.

Natural genetic engineering (NGE) is a class of process proposed by molecular biologist James Shapiro to account for novelty created in the course of biological evolution. Shapiro developed this work in several peer-reviewed publications and later in his book Evolution: A View from the 21st Century.

Natural genetic engineering is a reaction against the modern synthesis and the central dogma of molecular biology. The modern synthesis was formulated before the elucidation of the double-helix structure of DNA and the establishment of molecular biology in its current status of prominence. Given what was known at the time a simple, powerful model of genetic change through undirected mutation (loosely described as "random") and natural selection, was seen as sufficient to explain evolution as observed in nature.

Within the context of the article in particular and Shapiro's work on Natural Genetic Engineering in general, the "guiding intelligence" is to be found within the cell. (For example, in a Huffington Post essay entitled Cell Cognition and Cell Decision-Making...

Natural genetic engineering has been cited as a legitimate scientific controversy (in contrast to the controversies raised by various branches of creationism).[12] While Shapiro considers the questions raised by Intelligent Design to be interesting, he parts ways with creationists by considering these problems to be scientifically tractable (specifically by understanding how NGE plays a role in the evolution of novelty).

However, the combination of disagreement with the Modern Synthesis and discussion of a creative intelligence has brought his work to the attention of advocates of Intelligent Design, despite Shapiro's explicit repudiation of that movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_genetic_engineering

What!? All mutations aint random? Blasphemy, I tells ya!
Leadfoot

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:55 am
@layman,
Quote:
However, the combination of disagreement with the Modern Synthesis and discussion of a creative intelligence has brought his work to the attention of advocates of Intelligent Design, despite Shapiro's explicit repudiation of that movement.
That Shapiro fella has gotta be careful, folks is gonna start associating him with hIDler!

I wonder how long we can talk about the implausibility of mutation and natural selection before Set or farmer drags us back to their favorite subject? I tell ya, it's noth'n but 'god this' and 'Jesus that' with those guys.
farmerman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 03:53 am
@Leadfoot,
"Implausability"? wow, youre extreme. Extreme positions require extreme evidence . Its easy to pooh pooh what you dont understand. Its more difficult to underpin what YOU DO wish to peddle.
farmerman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:27 am
@farmerman,
Id suggest you take some time and read some complete thinking about evo (and evo/devo as its evolved ).

I posted in another forum a while back a followon book by Sean Carroll. author of Making of the Fittest, its called Endless Forms most Beautiful. Its really a great volume of where evolution/development has gone.
Modern evolutionary theory has a way to incorporate, field check, and adapt and "fold in" what appear to be contentious disagreements.
Thats the neat thing. When guys like you and Lamont "cherry pick" to make it sound like what its not, well you do yourselves no service.
farmerman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:45 am
@farmerman,
Maybe The Tinkerer's Assistant will be more to your liking. Its a long discussion about what has been said by several (in cluding Gould) who have made the distinction that "apparent design" is a reflction of how limited the reactions and linkages of organic components of life are.

I have to warn you that its a tricky title (its been called a "Stealth Title" by some reviewers)/

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:06 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its a long discussion about what has been said by several (in cluding Gould) who have made the distinction that "apparent design" is a reflction of how limited the reactions and linkages of organic components of life are.

Say what, Farmer? I don't understand what you're trying to say here. But I can guess this much: Any book you cite is one which confirms you're own preconceptions. I can't see you reading anything that didn't. You would KNOW it is garbage before you ever opened the cover, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:10 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Modern evolutionary theory has a way to incorporate, field check, and adapt and "fold in" what appear to be contentious disagreements. Thats the neat thing. When guys like you and Lamont "cherry pick" to make it sound like what its not, well you do yourselves no service.

What are you calling "modern evolutionary theory," exactly? Neo-Darwinism? Shapiro's book is called (something like) "Evolution for the 21st Century." Is that the "modern theory" you're talking about?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Maybe The Tinkerer's Assistant will be more to your liking

Do you mean the Tinkerer's Accomplice by Scott Turner? Says here:

Quote:
Turner proposes that modern evolutionary theory over-emphasizes genetic natural selection and a tendency to separate information from catalysis at the molecular level. By connecting information and catalysis, epigenesis coupled with homeostasis exemplifies the internal, directive capacities of the organism, linking information and behavior. Turner has also suggested that termite mounds exemplify collective intelligence via a form of swarm cognition that is a model for the emergence of cognitive systems in a variety of contexts, including, but not limited to, self-contained nervous systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Scott_Turner

He's dissin natural selection and touting "intelligence," eh?:

farmerman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:36 am
@layman,
AH ha, Shows you havent cracked the book have you?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:40 am
Kurt Schwenk, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Connecticut reviewed Turner's book. He says:

Quote:
Evolutionary biology is dominated by study of the genotype-population genetics, quantitative genetics and most recently a tsunami of molecular genetics. Progress in understanding the nitty-gritty of gene structure and function has been extraordinary...What does our vast knowledge of the genotype tell us, 141 years later, about how organisms change form through time? Not much. So why is it we still know so little about how organisms evolve?

The problem is physics envy. In physics, fundamental insights have been attained through reductionism -- the ability to explain complex phenomena by reference to elemental processes. Many biologists, seduced by this example, persist in believing that the complexity of whole-organism evolution can be similarly understood....the touted key to phenotypic evolution never materialized. This failure can probably be attributed to the pesky problem of ''emergence....The key to the evolution of organisms is therefore not to be found in the genotype, the phenotype or the environment; it is in the integration of all, the biology of holism.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/12/10/reviews/001210.10schwent.html

I keep tryna tell ya that, Farmer, but ya just won't listen, eh?

Leadfoot

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 07:17 am
@layman,
I think the most outrageous ploy to explain the implausibility of evolution by mutation and natural selection was that genes contained LIBRARIES of functions that could be called on by the organism when an evolutionary niche opened up, thus giving the appearance of impossibly rapid evolution. So ya see, organisms just go to the library, whip out their card and check out whatever advance they need, no ID required.

Talk about begging the question...