Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

hingehead

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 04:46 pm
@Awe and wonder,
Quote:
One does not negate the other

Actually they do. History is littered with the conflict because the premises on which they are based are diametrically opposed. I.e.:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/fe/aa/1cfeaa7665e88307227d56b5c7d0020d.jpg
Leadfoot

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 05:33 pm
@hingehead,
That would be the case with 'blind faith'. Although faith in God falls outside the realm of science, I think the holder of real faith always seeks to reconcile their beliefs with observation.
hingehead

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 07:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I think the holder of real faith always seeks to reconcile their beliefs with observation.

I'd be interested in the method(s) they use to do this.
rosborne979

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 08:24 pm
@Awe and wonder,
Awe and wonder wrote:
To me it is perfectly conceivable that god, yes I said the word, created the universe.
The world is full of possibilities and probabilities. In a world that allows for magic, as any world with a god must be, then anything is possible. Leprechauns, Unicorns, pixies, fairies, gnomes and gremlins would all be possible. Yet people scoff at that. Silly they say, those things are just fairy tales, not the same as "God" at all. But they are exactly the same.

It is inconsistent to dismiss one group of magical possibilities and then to casually offer the idea of "God" as though it were different in any way.

Human culture is so saturated with the idea of "God" that it no longer trips the instinctive bullshit meter that most of us have running in our brain to help us get through daily life. If someone says that every day, they seek guidance from the divine Unicorn our bullshit meters go off very quickly. But if someone says they seek guidance from God it slips right through. Even people who don't believe in God will treat those two claims very differently, yet they are essentially the same. Both people are seeking guidance from an imaginary magical being. Our collective enculturation is the only difference.

Think about how pernicious that is. Large potions of an entire race of beings brainwashed to such a degree that they don't even recognize what has been done to them.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:37 am
@hingehead,
Quote:

Leadfoot Quote:
"I think the holder of real faith always seeks to reconcile their beliefs with observation."

I'd be interested in the method(s) they use to do this.

The same method any rational person would use. By constantly asking oneself if their understanding (no matter what the source, previous teachings, logical conclusion, bible interpretation, divine revelation, etc) matches up with observation. If not, go back and resolve the conflict.

Or as Ayn Rand put it: "There are no contradictions. If you think you see one, examine your premise."
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:48 am
Science: based on empirical evidence and necessary inference.

Religion: based on traditions, myths, desires and ad hoc rationalizations.

I really don't understand how there's any confusion about where ID lies.
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:52 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Science: based on empirical evidence and necessary inference.

Religion: based on traditions, myths, desires and ad hoc rationalizations.

I really don't understand how there's any confusion about where ID lies.

Maybe you should examine your premise if you don't understand.
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:55 am
@Leadfoot,
If I don't understand what? Please be more precise about the fault(s) you see in my premise.
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:57 am
@FBM,
Just what you said - why there is confusion.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:59 am
@FBM,
In your premise, I am assuming you are conflating 'religion' with belief in God.

True?
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:03 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

In your premise, I am assuming you are conflating 'religion' with belief in God.

True?

As opposed to?
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:21 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:

True?

As opposed to?

And by that I assume you mean you can't believe in God without subscribing to some religion?
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:28 am
@Leadfoot,
What's the difference, as you see it?
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:50 am
@FBM,
Quote:

Here I'm assuming you mean the difference between an individual who believes in God and a religion.

In my experience (having been 'thrown out' of one) a religion requires you to subscribe to their package of beliefs about God. Kind of like a satellite or cable TV provider who demands that you buy the ESPN channels whether you want them or not. Neither one is acceptable to me.

There are exceptions like the Unitarian Universalist Church which is so 'universal' that you can believe anything you want or nothing at all. It appears to be for people who want to be 'spiritual' but don't believe in spirit. Yes, it's a contradiction.
Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 01:41 pm
@Leadfoot,
One of the many problems with FBM, Leadfoot...is that he will not acknowledge that we do not know (perhaps cannot know) if intelligent design is a fact.

The reason for that is that he will not acknowledge that we do not know (perhaps cannot know) if a GOD exists.

If there is the possibility of a GOD...there is the possibility of intelligent design. And here is something that has to be considered:

There most definitely IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT A GOD EXISTS.

(So, there is the possibility of intelligent design.)

Not sure why these supposedly rational, logical, science oriented individuals cannot grasp and acknowledge that...

...but I suspect it is because they are not nearly as rational, logical, or devoted to science as they pretend.
wandeljw

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 03:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Why large font for something that is a non-position. Smile
Frank Apisa

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 04:22 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Why large font for something that is a non-position. Smile

Why not?
0 Replies

Briancrc

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:12 pm
@wandeljw,
If anything is possible...THEN ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE NOW CONSIDER THIS...IT IS MOST DEFINITELY TRUE THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE so in summation...anything is possible.

But since you're a nincompoop who insists on reading things and using science (like that's ever helped anyone), you will never understand the depth of wisdom shared here. You can't grasp this, man!

parody complete. Thank you
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 06:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Here I'm assuming you mean the difference between an individual who believes in God and a religion.

No, I mean believing in a god and being religious/having a religion, whether or not you're embedded in a larger organization.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:09 pm
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/12088183_978701902153182_4995682696808567642_n.jpg