Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:35 pm
@FBM,
Maybe this will give you and mr. Krauss a clue as to the difference between believing in God and being 'religious'. The word 'sacred' does not even appear in the bible (KJV) nor would anyone who knows God use that word. That word is an invention of RELIGIONS. It is they who are profane. Mr Krauss is merely ignorant.
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 07:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Read again. He didn't say anything about the Bible.

Religions are made of people. People make religions, not the other way around.

I've witnessed scientists debate about their conflicting views on cosmology. Nobody ever so much as raised his voice. But get people from two conflicting religions into a debate and often it'll eventually spill out into the streets and people will die.

I'll stick with the scientific worldview, thankee. Until someone can show me something better.

Quote:

Catechism of the Catholic Church

PART ONE
THE PROFESSION OF FAITH

SECTION ONE
"I BELIEVE" - "WE BELIEVE"

CHAPTER TWO
GOD COMES TO MEET MAN

ARTICLE 3
SACRED SCRIPTURE

I. CHRIST - THE UNIQUE WORD OF SACRED SCRIPTURE

101 In order to reveal himself to men, in the condescension of his goodness God speaks to them in human words: "Indeed the words of God, expressed in the words of men, are in every way like human language, just as the Word of the eternal Father, when he took on himself the flesh of human weakness, became like men."63

102 Through all the words of Sacred Scripture, God speaks only one single Word, his one Utterance in whom he expresses himself completely:64

You recall that one and the same Word of God extends throughout Scripture, that it is one and the same Utterance that resounds in the mouths of all the sacred writers, since he who was in the beginning God with God has no need of separate syllables; for he is not subject to time.65
103 For this reason, the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord's Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God's Word and Christ's Body.66

104 In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, "but as what it really is, the word of God".67 "In the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them."68

II. INSPIRATION AND TRUTH OF SACRED SCRIPTURE

105 God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."69

"For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."70

106 God inspired the human authors of the sacred books....
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
I'll stick with the scientific worldview, thankee. Until someone can show me something better.

I keep telling you that is not an option. YOU must find it for yourself if you want something better.
FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:16 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I keep telling you that is not an option. YOU must find it for yourself if you want something better.

I was already in a religion when I did find something better. I'm not going to undo the progress I've made. If there's something better than science that I haven't already tried, I'll give it a go, though.
Leadfoot

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:34 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
was already in a religion when I did find something better. I'm not going to undo the progress I've made. If there's something better than science that I haven't already tried, I'll give it a go, though.

I hope you find it, and I mean that sincerely.

FBM

Thu 1 Oct, 2015 08:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
Gracias. I'm pretty content with the way things are, though.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 2 Oct, 2015 03:16 am
@Briancrc,
Briancrc wrote:

If anything is possible...THEN ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE NOW CONSIDER THIS...IT IS MOST DEFINITELY TRUE THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE so in summation...anything is possible.

But since you're a nincompoop who insists on reading things and using science (like that's ever helped anyone), you will never understand the depth of wisdom shared here. You can't grasp this, man!

parody complete. Thank you

Is that what that was...parody?

To me it looks like someone who sees an inconvenient truth being presented...and rather than deal reasonably with the truth...instead chooses (unsuccessfully) to mock it.

Religious people often do that when inconvenient truths are presented to them, so it should be no surprise that proponents of both sides of the coin often stoop to it.

IF the existence of a god is possible (and the existence of a god IS possible)...then intelligent design is possible.

NO BIG DEAL, because the "intelligent design" would have to be the evolutionary process being uncovered by science.

But I suspect most of the stuff written here by atheists has not really been about evolution...but about saying, in a back door way: There are no gods.
Briancrc

Fri 2 Oct, 2015 04:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Anything is possible
Frank Apisa

Fri 2 Oct, 2015 04:16 am
@Briancrc,
Briancrc wrote:

Anything is possible

Not anything...but damn near anything.

That which is established as impossible...is impossible.
Quehoniaomath

Mon 5 Oct, 2015 03:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That which is established as impossible...is impossible.

LOL

You haven't studied the history of science i c.
0 Replies

Awe and wonder

Mon 5 Oct, 2015 11:44 am
@hingehead,
Concorrance is not self negating. Its called chaos and that is a scientifically accepted theory.
hingehead

Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:46 pm
@Awe and wonder,
What an awesome new word you've invented:

Concorrance.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?
0 Replies

think rethink

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 03:56 pm
@wandeljw,
all i can comment here, that regardless of complexity etc, according to those religions who describe that designer as all mighty, an almighty power, has no excuse to create a suffering world , since he created that from none,
none wasn't suffering, had no desires or needs, he is left with no right to proceed with such an agonizing design, proceeding anyway, renders him mother of all crime, father of all crooks, disregard his promises, i bet he will betray you.
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:10 pm
@think rethink,
Quote:
that designer as all mighty, an almighty power, has no excuse to create a suffering world , since he created that from none,
none wasn't suffering, had no desires or needs, he is left with no right to proceed with such an agonizing design, proceeding anyway, renders him mother of all crime, father of all crooks
You can end your suffering and need at any time. I'll loan you the ammo.
think rethink

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:11 pm
@think rethink,
one additional point,
if that design wanted us to follow his command, aside of all the insane atheism theory required to justify gods stupid setup, with free will etc (an all capable all compassionate god, wishing to act kind to us, simply creates heaven, excludes shame from the design, and ushers everyone in there to begin with).

there is the trust issue, humans are the carriers of deception, mostly unintentional, simply by failing to research their facts accurately before selling them to the next fellow down the road, it was outright insane from god, to reveal himself to an individual without witness, and expect those who seek him sincerely, to land at the doorstep of the true prophet among an ocean of deceiving competition .

that IQ is incredibly low, would never hire such impracticality, to even sweep up my lawn.

still intelligent?

think rethink

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
that's kind of you, how will i pay it back to you?
Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:15 pm
@think rethink,
It's a free gift, just like your life.
think rethink

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
this is getting pretty exiting , ready for my address? need an instruction manual as well please, since God did not supply me with a free gun
think rethink

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
that one (life) never occurred to me
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 6 Oct, 2015 04:32 pm
@think rethink,
Quote:
this is getting pretty exiting , ready for my address? need an instruction manual as well please, since God did not supply me with a free gun
If no gun available, how about a fresh razor blade instead?