Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Heh. I think less unfounded than claims about an invisible sky-daddy who was invented by scientifically illiterate Bronze Age nomads. Laughing Yes, there is the speculative edge of all sciences, including cosmology, but at least the cosmologists have mathematical models guided by empirical data.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:20 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot Quote:
"Your example is why the vetting process here on earth is so through."

Me and you may be through with it but now we have these crazy people "vetting and voting in our place. Maybe we should join them so that they do not out rule us?

The only place you can be truly ruled is in you thoughts. By joining 'them', you submit to their rule.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:23 am
@FBM,
Nope. There is no empirical data to support the things I mentioned. Nice try though.

Same story on abiogenesis BTW.
FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:38 am
@Leadfoot,
You're fallaciously trying to isolate the cutting edge from all that has gone before. It's not like the cosmologists just pull new hypotheses out of thin air, pure imagination or ancient myths. They're based on what has accumulated over the centuries, all the way back to the development of the calculus and before.

Do you think cosmologists are free to propose hypotheses that contradict the CMB data, for example? No, they're not. Whereas, if no evidence is required, I could just as well propose a hypothesis about the universe being created/designed by an ancient, invisible, transcendent dragon, who farted everything into being. Without the need for evidence, it would have exactly as much explanatory power as anything else. Once the need for evidence enters the game, though...
reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The only place you can be truly ruled is in you thoughts. By joining 'them', you submit to their rule.

Try to explain this to a slave or rape victim, then please share your results with me.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:47 am
@FBM,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
You're fallaciously trying to isolate the cutting edge from all that has gone before. It's not like the cosmologists just pull new hypotheses out of thin air, pure imagination or ancient myths. They're based on what has accumulated over the centuries, all the way back to the development of the calculus and before.

Do you think cosmologists are free to propose hypotheses that contradict the CMB data, for example? No, they're not. Whereas, if no evidence is required, I could just as well propose a hypothesis about the universe being created/designed by an ancient, invisible, transcendent dragon, who farted everything into being. Without the need for evidence, it would have exactly as much explanatory power as anything else. Once the need for evidence enters the game, though...

Steven Hawking recently said:

"The universe is perfectly capable of creating itself from nothing".

He and you have no more hard evidence of that than I do for God. If you believe it at all, it is based on your 'faith' in Mr. Hawking,

My turn to ask "Where is you evidence?".
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:51 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"The only place you can be truly ruled is in you thoughts. By joining 'them', you submit to their rule."

Try to explain this to a slave or rape victim, then please share your results with me.

Rape and slavery can take many forms. I have suffered both. I've been sharing my results.
reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:55 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

He seems to have a belief similar to yours. Has he ever stated that he might be wrong about his understanding? Have you ever proclaimed that you or should I say God may be wrong in all that you or should I say that what you think God is correct about.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:21 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot Quote:
"Steven Hawking recently said:

"The universe is perfectly capable of creating itself from nothing". "

He seems to have a belief similar to yours. Has he ever stated that he might be wrong about his understanding?

Have you ever proclaimed that you or should I say God may be wrong in all that you or should I say that what you think God is correct about.

Ironic, no? And he is acknowledged to be the leading Cosmologist alive today. Even better, this was during an interview where he formally announced that he was confirming his atheism.

I'm not an expert on all things 'Hawking' but to my knowledge he has never bothered with adding 'but I could be wrong' in any of his papers or speeches. Why the hell should he? I heard him admit on only one occasion that he was wrong and then only after experimental data proved him so. I don't hold that against him.

When discussing science or theology it is understood (at least by me) that the speaker is giving his/her best analysis of the topic. They don't need to add disclaimers. I sometimes play God for the sake of these discussions but I thought I make it clear that I'm actually human and fallible. I assume that of everyone else too.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:25 am
@Leadfoot,
leadfoot wrote:
Quote:
"The only place you can be truly ruled is in you thoughts. By joining 'them', you submit to their rule."

Reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Rape and slavery can take many forms. I have suffered both. I've been sharing my results.

Is this your way of saying you have mastered cognitive dissonance and had an out of body experience so that you did not have to share the reality that your rapist experienced?

Quote:
Rape and slavery can take many forms. I have suffered both

Do you truly know what it means to be a slave and love your family?
I learned this from the bible.

If any of your people--Hebrew men or women--sell themselves to you and serve you six years, in the seventh year you must let them go free.

Exodus 21:1-4: "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

And it shall be, if he say unto thee, I will not go away from thee; because he loveth thee and thine house, because he is well with thee. As if he is has some sort of mental condition or something similar to an emphatic distress to leaving his wife and children.

then take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life. Do the same for your female servant.

Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:42 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Quote:
"Rape and slavery can take many forms. I have suffered both. I've been sharing my results."

Is this your way of saying you have mastered cognitive dissonance and had an out of body experience so that you did not have to share the reality that your rapist experienced?

I would not say I mastered it. The 'out of body experience' felt like an involuntary survival tactic.
reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 09:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The 'out of body experience' felt like an involuntary survival tactic.

Please do not feel all alone. I am not trying to be mean toward anyone but rather share the severity of antisocial behavior with all who are interested. I have not gone through what you went through but I have experienced my share of cluster b personality disorders.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 10:03 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Interesting question. Probably not what you were driving at, but one of the ways I was a slave was being a slave to the ideal of 'family'. That ultimately lead to my being raped.

In your bible example, were you pointing out the great love of a man for his family that he would willingly remain a slave for them or that the 'rules' about slavery in the bible are inhumane? I'm sure there were masters who were kind and fair with their slaves (which might make one happy to stay) and ones who were unspeakably cruel. My memory is vague on this but I think the awl through the earlobe was a mark for the slaves protection.

I can't wait for the accusations of 'asshole slavery apologist' after that :-)
Frank Apisa

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 11:21 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
There is overwhelming evidence that people like you refuse to accept that an "intelligent designer" might design "evolution via natural selection" as its preferred path to where we are.

I try very hard to understand where you are coming from at times but I will say that you are a gentleman and you deserve a lot of credit for that.

Thank you, RL.

Quote:
The way I see it is, if there is a God is there any other way for him to come into existence other than by natural selection? Or was he intelligently designed?

If there are no gods...then the universe either always existed...or came into being through some means currently unknown to humans.

If there are gods (or a GOD)...it either always existed...or came into being through some means currently unknown to humans.

Or at least, that is the way it seems to me. (All of which is another way of saying, "I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.")

Quote:
I do not know how much longer I can wait to hear your side of the story about being a priest in the other thread. You do know I am old and dieing?

I did not know of anything pending or expected from me on that issue. What thread are you talking about...and what info did you want?

(I never was a priest, although as a young man I aspired to the vocation.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 11:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Why are so many of your type as close-minded as the "the Earth is 6000 years old" people? And considering that you are, why are you so scornful of those others?

Wherever evidence exists, its easy to reject the old stories with which we all grew up and once accepted.

Its like being shown that the moon IS NOT made of green cheese.

IMHO-Theistic evolution is a final holdout position of someone who was shown the pile of evidence that science has in its cabinet, but still desires a nice story with which to identify.

That the pile of evidence clearly shows that various environmental changes account for natural selection and that drift also accounts for evolution without nat selection and that even a bit of Lamarkian thinking is creeping back into science (what with the possibility that a parents "bad habits" are heritable to its offspring), Most reasonable thinking people with a little savvy in this field really dont spend any time trying to "do a best fit" with our old stories of a Supreme Being in charge.

Even most biological scientists who DO profess being "believers" have gone over to a transcendent supreme being.
When its possible to see things evolving due to man made barriers to a species "free ranging" , or seeing evolution responding to continental drift or global warming, its hard to keep coming up with special cases where a supreme being would have any input to these natural situations (Unless of course you feel that everything that happens is under somethings control).
That position, IMHO is just a waste of anyones time .

Your "possibility" of ID keeps shrinking away in relevence as science identifies the specifics of "how" evolution workks.

Still, if all you wish to do is stand around yelling at people without any details besides some blank assertion , you are, I suppose you know, starting to sound like Quahog .
I think your "possibilities" of ID need as much convincing evidence to support as does "interference free" natural election . Standing around name calling without anything deeper is really an easy position. All youve been doing for about 10 years is to take this "copout position" without defending it. No wonder many people think that your just all vines and no grapes.

No matter how evolution "works"...it may be the intent of an intelligent designer.

I do not know if there is an intelligent designer or not...and I see no unambiguous evidence in either direction.

I will say this: If there is the possibility of a god...there is the possibility of intelligent design...no matter how hard it is for people like you to acknowledge that, FM.

Are you suggesting there is no possibility of a god?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 11:26 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

I think frank is getting very old like many of us and may be struggling with thoughts of death. I myself may start believing in a heaven when the time gets very close. "especially if I get the kind of drugs I would want" [who knows a person may not need drugs when they get that close, The brain may have a natural way of deluding you more and more as the time gets closer.
If I do start experiencing this I hope I will not be here for all of you to tell me otherwise.

I am going to die...and probably die soon. I am 79.

I have no fear of that...and the fact that I am close to death is not a motivation for why I say that I do not know if gods exist or not.

There is no delusion going on, RL. I really, really do not know if gods exist or not.

Do you?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Interesting question. Probably not what you were driving at, but one of the ways I was a slave was being a slave to the ideal of 'family'. That ultimately lead to my being raped.

In your bible example, were you pointing out the great love of a man for his family that he would willingly remain a slave for them or that the 'rules' about slavery in the bible are inhumane? I'm sure there were masters who were kind and fair with their slaves (which might make one happy to stay) and ones who were unspeakably cruel. My memory is vague on this but I think the awl through the earlobe was a mark for the slaves protection.

I can't wait for the accusations of 'asshole slavery apologist' after that :-)

I would only question whether you are trying to downplay the horrors of rape and slavery. Neither term should be used lightly.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 02:56 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:

I would only question whether you are trying to downplay the horrors of rape and slavery. Neither term should be used lightly.

What makes you think I was?

If you were thinking I was used 'rape' as a synonym for 'ripped off', I wasn't.
0 Replies

FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
@Leadfoot,

He and you have no more hard evidence of that than I do for God. If you believe it at all, it is based on your 'faith' in Mr. Hawking,

My turn to ask "Where is you evidence?".

Talk to the person who made that claim. The burden of evidence is on the person making the claim. My claim is that you haven't produced any evidence for your god. Your claim is that there is a god. Therefore, the burden of evidence is on you. Your evidence is?
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:18 pm
@FBM,
Quote:

Talk to the person who made that claim. The burden of evidence is on the person making the claim. My claim is that you haven't produced any evidence for your god. Your claim is that there is a god. Therefore, the burden of evidence is on you. Your evidence is?

I thought you could do better than that. You and every atheist use recognized 'experts' to support your position. But when those experts fail you, you use this side step? Smooth move...