Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
My memory is vague on this but I think the awl through the earlobe was a mark for the slaves protection.

Quote:
take an awl and push it through his earlobe into the door, and he will become your servant for life.

It sounds to me like God was teaching the slave masters cropping. He must have hated slave who loved their family. But I guess if I try real hard I might find some love behind the idea.

Cropping is mentioned in ancient Assyrian law and the Babylonian Code of Hammurab

Cropping sometimes occurred as a standalone punishment (such as in the case of William Prynne for seditious libel),[5] where criminals' ears would be cut off with a blade. Cropping was also a secondary punishment to having criminals' ears nailed to the pillory (with the intention that their body movements would tear them off).[5] In the case of Thomas Barrie (1538), he spent a whole day with his ears nailed to the pillory in Newbury, England, before having them cut off to release him.[6
Cropping was quite rare in England, but more common in Guernsey.[7] Notable cases of cropping in England include Thomas Barrie in 1538, who reputedly died from shock following his cropping,[6] and John Bastwick, William Prynne, and Henry Burton in 1637.[8] In the 16th century, Henry VIII amended the laws on vagrancy to decree that first offences would be punished with three days in the stocks, second offences with cropping, and third offences with hanging.[9
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
You've gone off the reservation now. My daughters begged me to let them get an 'awl through their earlobes'.

Off hand I don't know what 'cropping' is. I'll have to look it up. But my guess is you're doing an apples and oranges thing.
reasoning logic

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I'll have to look it up. But my guess is you're doing an apples and oranges thing.

Quote:
My daughters begged me to let them get an 'awl through their earlobes'.

Did they beg to drive the awl through their ears and into the door?
An awl is a long, pointed spike.
FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Talk to the person who made that claim. The burden of evidence is on the person making the claim. My claim is that you haven't produced any evidence for your god. Your claim is that there is a god. Therefore, the burden of evidence is on you. Your evidence is?

I thought you could do better than that. You and every atheist use recognized 'experts' to support your position. But when those experts fail you, you use this side step? Smooth move...

To the contrary, I'm not accepting your side-stepping, strawman/red herring attempt. My claim is what I say it is. You don't get to make my claim for me. My claim is that you don't have any evidence for your god. Prove me wrong.
Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Did they beg to drive the awl through their ears and into the door?
An awl is a long, pointed spike.

They didn't care what was used as a backing for the procedure.

Yes, I know what an awl is.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:43 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
To the contrary, I'm not accepting your side-stepping, strawman/red herring attempt. My claim is what I say it is. You don't get to make my claim for me. My claim is that you don't have any evidence for your god. Prove me wrong.

Wrong thread FBM. The conjecture of this one is whether or not ID is a religion. My point was that ID is no more a religion than the hypothesis' many 'leading edge' physicists come up with. If you want to defend the position that there was no intelligence required for the creation of life and the universe, then it is up to you to prove that no intelligence was required. Science has not done that. Can you?
hingehead

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:37 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If you want to defend the position that there was no intelligence required for the creation of life and the universe, then it is up to you to prove that no intelligence was required.

Actually that's arse about. IDers need to prove intelligence was involved - it's their theory. List for me the independently verifiable experiments/predictions they've come up with as proof. Even the particle physicists were theorising about Higgs boson long before there was any evidence for its existence.
FBM

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Wrong thread FBM. The conjecture of this one is whether or not ID is a religion.

Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Quote:
My point was that ID is no more a religion than the hypothesis' many 'leading edge' physicists come up with. If you want to defend the position that there was no intelligence required for the creation of life and the universe, then it is up to you to prove that no intelligence was required. Science has not done that. Can you?

If I ever make that claim, I'll bear the burden of evidence to support it. Until such time, I'll stick with the claim that I started with, viz, that you don't have any evidence to support your god hypothesis. Science is based on empirical evidence, which is shared openly and subject to falsification. Where's your such evidence for your god hypothesis? If you don't have any, you have a faith-based religion.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:04 pm
@hingehead,
The only known source of functional complexity or information is from an intelligence. If the laws of physics can't create it, then intelligence had to be involved. The Big Bang and abiogenesis fit that description.
hingehead

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 08:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The only known source of functional complexity or information is from an intelligence.

Really? How do you prove that?
Frank Apisa

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 03:10 am
@Leadfoot,
I disagree with much of what you are asserting here, Leadfoot...

...but I do notice this:

FBM wrote:

Quote:
My claim is that you don't have any evidence for your god. Prove me wrong.

FBM says that if you make a claim…you must prove the claim, not ask others to prove it wrong.

Yet here, he makes a claim and asks that you prove his claim wrong.

I wonder why he gets a pass...while denying you one?
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 04:02 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot Quote:
"If you want to defend the position that there was no intelligence required for the creation of life and the universe, then it is up to you to prove that no intelligence was required."

Actually that's arse about. IDers need to prove intelligence was involved - it's their theory. List for me the independently verifiable experiments/predictions they've come up with as proof. Even the particle physicists were theorising about Higgs boson long before there was any evidence for its existence.

No mate, you're a little late to the fight. FBM conceded a post or two back. But I'll summarize the ID debate so far.

"ID" does not hypothesize a God. It is based on what is obvious to any normal human being but is not negated by science. In a nut shell:

If you find a watch (digital or analog, take your pick) laying in the sand, no sane adult of average intellect would conclude anything other than that they were looking at something designed by an intelligent being. They might not know who it was, but they know there was a watch maker.

The watch in this case is a universe exquisitely fine tuned for life (but not having a mechanism to make it) followed by life springing from a non biological environment. I have already conceded to FBM and others that I cannot show him the "watchmaker" but the watch is here for all to see. It's a 'watch' so much more intricate and complex than any you have ever seen.

Now you, FBM and a multitude of others come along and say, no, this watch is a result of natural causes. It is an absurd assumption and I'm willing to listen but you can offer no plausible explaination for how the watch came to be. Many then fall back on the pathetic tactic of saying, "Well, I can't explain it right now, but sooner or later, we'll figure it out". No deal guys, it is YOUR burden to explain how this impossibly complex 'watch' came to be by natural causes.

Still others fall back on an even more pathetic tactic of 'appealing to authority' to 'prove' it was a naturally occurring watch. They say "There are some really smart scientists who say it could happen, therefore I believe it." That's a doomed tactic anyway because to date, EVEN THEY conceded that we have no explaination for the origin of life or the universe.

But since the the folly of scientists who insist that there is no watch maker needed has been exposed ( see Hawking quote), FBM abandoned that approach and took on the task himself. But all he can do is endlessly repeat the demand to "show me the watchmaker".

Hey, I've shown you the watch that you insist can build itself. It's up to you guys (minus FBM, he already conceded by default) to prove it has that ability. At the very least, you should be able to point to some naturally occurring thing as complex as a watch that made itself without intelligence being involved.

Hingehead wants a prediction from ID, so here are two.

1. No one will ever demonstrate abiogenesis without the introduction of intelligence.

2. No one will ever prove Hawking's claim that "The universe is perfectly capable of creating itself from nothing".

0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 04:21 am
That watch **** cracks me up. That was most famously advanced the Rev. Paley at the beginning of the 19th century. But Paley wasn't the first to advance this specious argument, which is why David Hume, writing in the 18th century offered three sound logical arguments against the (feeble and dull) watchmaker analogy. The first two are based on the nature of the analogy, and of analogies in general: although we have experience of watches and watchmaking, we have no experience of world-making. Analogy only works as a logical argument when there are many, many points of similarity, an overwhelming number of points of similarity, and we don't have that for world-making. The final objection has been acknowledged here.

This BS has been peddled for a long, long time. Cicero put forth the analogy, but using a sundial, rather than a watch. There weren't many watches in Rome more than 2000 years ago. The same objections to the specific analogy and to the nature of analogous arguments in general can be advanced as Hume did.

ID is just a more fundamentally dishonest version of this specious argument. One in which the proponent lacks the balls to say that he is speaking about god.
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 04:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
I disagree with much of what you are asserting here, Leadfoot...

...but I do notice this:

FBM wrote:

Quote:
My claim is that you don't have any evidence for your god. Prove me wrong.

FBM says that if you make a claim…you must prove the claim, not ask others to prove it wrong.

Yet here, he makes a claim and asks that you prove his claim wrong.

I wonder why he gets a pass...while denying you one?

True, but FBM doesn't seem interested in engaging in the OP subject anyway.

But I'm mainly interested in seeing if there are holes in my logic. What assertions of mine do you disagree with? I can't see the holes unless you point them out.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 04:37 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
although we have experience of watches and watchmaking, we have no experience of world-making. Analogy only works as a logical argument when there are many, many points of similarity, an overwhelming number of points of similarity, and we don't have that for world-making.

A totally absurd conclusion. Let's say instead of a watch, we find an unknown device, a tricorder like from Star Trek, that is fully functional. But we have no experience of Tricorders at all.

Are you now going to say that because it is unknown, it must have come about by natural causes?? Please....

Or if you insist on staying with the watch example, are you saying that Aristotle finding the watch would pick it up and assume no intelligence was required for making it?
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 05:52 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
"The only known source of functional complexity or information is from an intelligence."

Really? How do you prove that?

By pointing out that you can not point to any example of such complexity arising from natural causes and that we have shown the process by which it has come into being, even in theory. Can you show me a single example?

On the other hand, I can show you a virtually unlimited number of examples of such complexity where an intelligent creator was necessary for its origin.
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:05 am
A little ambiguity slip there: Proving something and proving something wrong are two different balls of wax.

My claim: Leadfoot has no evidence for the god hypothesis. My evidence: Every post s/he has made to date. My claim is falsifiable. All s/he has to do is produce some credible, falsifiable evidence that points to the god conclusion.

I'll wait.
wandeljw

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:17 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
although we have experience of watches and watchmaking, we have no experience of world-making. Analogy only works as a logical argument when there are many, many points of similarity, an overwhelming number of points of similarity, and we don't have that for world-making.

A totally absurd conclusion. Let's say instead of a watch, we find an unknown device, a tricorder like from Star Trek, that is fully functional. But we have no experience of Tricorders at all.

Are you now going to say that because it is unknown, it must have come about by natural causes?? Please....

Or if you insist on staying with the watch example, are you saying that Aristotle finding the watch would pick it up and assume no intelligence was required for making it?

Watches and "Tricorders" are inanimate objects that make poor analogies for complexity and diversity in nature.

Quote:
Such a pattern of tiered resemblances"groups of similar species nested within broader groupings, and all descending from a single source"isn't naturally present among other collections of items. You won't find anything equivalent if you try to categorize rocks, or musical instruments, or jewelry. Why not? Because rock types and styles of jewelry don't reflect unbroken descent from common ancestors. Biological diversity does. The number of shared characteristics between any one species and another indicates how recently those two species have diverged from a shared lineage.
-David Quammen, National Geographic Magazine, November 2004

In short, inanimate objects lack biological reproduction and can not be used to represent evolutionary biology.
Leadfoot

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:21 am
@FBM,
Quote:
A little ambiguity slip there: Proving something and proving something wrong are two different balls of wax.

My claim: Leadfoot has no evidence for the god hypothesis. My evidence: Every post s/he has made to date. My claim is falsifiable. All s/he has to do is produce some credible, falsifiable evidence that points to the god conclusion.

I'll wait.

For the purposes of this thread, my claim is not related to a God hypothesis. My claim is that there are unmistakeable signs of intelligent design in life and the universe.

If all you are interested in is proving that Leadfoot has no proof that God exists, why not start a thread on that? It'll be a short one because I've already said I can't give you proof of God's existence and I doubt anyone gives a hoot anyway.
FBM

Tue 15 Sep, 2015 07:30 am
@Leadfoot,
How is your intelligent designer distinct from a god?

Please present these "unmistakable signs" in a way that no one could mistake them for mundane processes.