The US, UN & Iraq II

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
Peception!
If the Us army is not lying then they executed 5000 POWs in Iraq.

Last weekend they said they had taken 8000 POWs and yesterday Rumsfeld said they had about 3000, 3500 ? What happened with those est. 5000 that seem to be missing? Shot in the head?

Dont call us liers! Truth prevails! Always and everywhere!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:02 pm
perception, your wit is underwhelming
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
Back on topic.
Can someone inform me on the latest UN incident?
The US ambassador left the UN debate after the Iraqi ambassador accuses US of trying to exterminate Iraqi people. Agree, those allegations were over the edge. But why does he walks away? Why doesn't he convince the others what the US intentions are.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
Don't know, frolic.

perception

You don't believe seriously that only US-Americans can be citizens, don't you?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:15 pm
Frolic wrote:

<Last weekend they said they had taken 8000 POWs and yesterday Rumsfeld said they had about 3000, 3500 ? What happened with those est. 5000 that seem to be missing? Shot in the head?>

I can just see some poor soldier who has just captured some Iraqi soldiers running to find the "embedded correspond" on his team and saying----train the camera over here while I shoot these prisoners in the head.

Frolic I believe you are a good person but don't prove to the world that you're naive. When you have thousands of prisoners and more every minute----how in the hell can you get an accurate count--especially when you're worried that the civilian walking toward you waving might suddenly start to shoot. Please!!!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:15 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Timber -- I think I'm going to have to call you on that: "I don't really mind "The Bush Bashers". I don't agree with them, and I think a lot of them are more "Anti-American" than "Anti-War" or "Anti-Bush".

In my view, those are not the words of a "moderator."

Oh? Moderators express opinions all the time. Suddenly you don't like an opinion and you have a problem with it.

Hmmm.

Some people ARE in fact ANTI-AMERICAN. That Timber or anyone else might hold an opinion as to which people they are, is not an attack, an insult, or anything that runs contrary to good conduct here.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:19 pm
perception wrote:
You Bush bashers have clogged up every other thread on this forum with your hate and lies----why can't you leave this one relatively free of your venom. I have a small counter hate machine of my own design idling quietly.

"I am deeply suspicious. Most of the false reports have been to the advantage of the coalition forces,"

Those are not my words. Those are the words of former BBC war correspondent and independent MP Martin Bell.

Cutting through Iraq's 'fog of war'
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:21 pm
And this would be expect. Everyone slants the perspective in favor of themselves. In the end, this also leads to the downfall, but not always!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:23 pm
perception wrote:
Someone wrote:

you can't hold an opinion if you're a moderator?

I heard nary a word when Blatham voiced all of his Anti-bush, Anti-American sentiment, Anti-Administration----You people know nothing about objectivity and fair play.

Of course moderators have opinions, and they are free to express them. When the commentary involves acceptable conduct on the site, it might be well to distinguish between moderator/guide and member comments. Otherwise, they are members and give up no privilage by accepting additional duties.

I also see anti-American sentiments here, as distinct from anti-war. They are a special embarassment coming from those who are clearly American citizens, but it is a free country, and I've been embarassed before.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Frolic wrote:

<Can someone inform me on the latest UN incident?
The US ambassador left the UN debate after the Iraqi ambassador accuses US of trying to exterminate Iraqi people. Agree, those allegations were over the edge. But why does he walks away? Why doesn't he convince the others what the US intentions are.>

Frolic
My guess is it's the same reason nobody on this forum will ever change their position. You cannot reason with people who will listen but who do not hear----it is similar th a joke telling contest---everybody is only thinking of the next chance they get to open their mouth and are too busy to listen to the other jokes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:27 pm
Well, now I'm convinced that this war really has nothing to do with oil!

It's about cell-phone technology:

Congressman Darrell Issa www.issa.house.gov/newsroom_press_detail.asp?serial=100&page=newsroom :
Quote:
We have learned that planners at the Department of Defense and USAID are currently envisioning using Federal appropriations to deploy a European-based wireless technology known as GSM (Groupe Speciale Mobile) for this new Iraqi cell phone system.

If European GSM technology is deployed in Iraq, much of the equipment used to build the cell phone system would be manufactured in France, Germany, and elsewhere in western and northern Europe. Furthermore, royalties paid on the technology would flow to French and European sources, not U.S. patent holders.

U.S. developed CDMA (code-division multiple access) cell phone technology is widely recognized as technically superior to European GSM technology and is deployed in 50 nations worldwide

[331 million GSM user (all Europe and Middle East) <> 67 million CDMA]
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
I for one will be sorely peeved if any money goes to France or Germany from a post-Saddam Iraq, at least until the rebuilding and initial growth spurt is done. Maybe Iraq could let them compete for business after 10 or 20 years. (Of course, that decision will belong to the new government of Iraq.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
Um, I saw a report in the most recent The Economist that several Kuwaiti companies have trucks loaded with cell phones, waiting for the go ahead. Looks like competition.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:46 pm
There is a saying in Dutch (dont know if it exists in other countries)

Never sell the fur of the bear before you killed him.

I think that's a very wise saying.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:48 pm
Hmmmm--cell phones----now this is a new wrinkle. I agree with Tress----If one damn penny goes to France before the end of twenty years, I will be very angry and will probably come back from the grave and haunt the white house.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:51 pm
Frolic wrote:

I agree Frolic and it doesn't matter what country you're from.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
perception wrote:
Hmmmm--cell phones----now this is a new wrinkle. I agree with Tress----If one damn penny goes to France before the end of twenty years, I will be very angry and will probably come back from the grave and haunt the white house.

so the entire proposed intent of "liberation" vs "domination" is out the window?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
Yes, tw, especially, since Germany is getting some money from the Pentagon, although

Quote:
Rep. Steve LaTourette, Republican of Madison, is angry because a firm in his district recently lost out to a German company in the awarding of a contract to put protective sealant on an exterior wall of the Pentagon.

"Why would we want to help a German company get business at the Pentagon when America is at war and Germany has tag-teamed with France to form the Coalition of the Unwilling?" asked LaTourette.http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1048761548157891.xml

Mineral paint

However, Congressman LaTourette forgot that since more 100 years the Capitol and other buildings have been painted with Keim products, that there is no other paint worldwide of such quality (according to the Pentagon, quoted by manager-magazine) and that nearly 10,000 gallons are already painted.
But using "Freedom paint" is of course more patriotic.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:56 pm
Gee, from my side I see a lot of Anti-American, UnPatriotic actions on the other side - but I guess it is a matter of perspective. To bad those in the wrong will never see and understand what is right. But, I guess myopic vision is contagious for them!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:57 pm
frolic wrote:
There is a saying in Dutch (dont know if it exists in other countries)

That's only because the Dutch are such lousy bear hunters. :wink:

Seriously, that would be wise if the death of the bear were the least bit in question. In this case, it is not.
0 Replies