The US, UN & Iraq II

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:00 pm
The trouble with war is that it is always about killing <sigh>
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:09 pm
Another 55 civilians killed in a crowded market place. I don't believe all the children I just saw in the hospital were a threat to the coalition.

Our governments are mass murdering scum.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:14 pm
Don't forget, Wilso, they're doing it for the Iraqi people. ;( c.i.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:18 pm
little information available other than a major explosion in Kuwait City about 30 mins ago
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:19 pm
It was reported on NPR yesterday but not followed up as far as I can tell that the Iraqi's are using GPS blockers. This is significant because much of the ordinance used by the US, particularly the cruise missiles, depend on GPS for their accuracy. If the GPS does not work then the missile is dependant on it inertial guidance system which is accurate only to within several hundred yards. I suspect that a number of these recent misses that have resulted in the horrific civilian casualties are the result of attempts by the Iraqi military to deflect cruise missiles
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:22 pm
If these are cruise missile misses and the General's are reporting the way they are, then out goes believability for the future. As Rumsfelt said - there will be disinformation! hmmmmmmmmm........
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:28 pm
Dyslexia, current speculation is that it may have been a malfunction of a Patriot missile, though that is far from certain. There appears to have been only property damage and minor injuries. Most ambulances which had been dispatched were dismissed at the scene or called off en route. There was no air raid siren, and hostile action, while not ruled out, seems improbable, according to reports. The area, behind a movie theater not far from the location of a Kuwaiti-owned-and-operated Patriot battery, is swarming with flashing lights and lots of official milling around.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:34 pm
thanks Timber this is all i found :KUWAIT CITY - A large explosion rocked a major shopping mall in the Kuwaiti capital early Saturday.
Kuwaiti television said that a missile fell into the sea facing Souq Sharq, one of the most popular shopping malls in Kuwait City. It reported that there was little damage. There was no immediate report of casualties.
A security official, who would not allow himself to be identified, confirmed that the explosion rocked that area before 2 a.m. local time (2300 GMT Friday). Officials promised more information later.

Television images showed smoke rising over the Kuwaiti skyline.

Souq Sharq is on the Kuwaiti seafront. It includes a marina, shops and restaurants.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:34 pm
BillW, the GPS jammers are of quite recent Russian manufacture. At least six have been destroyed, some by GPS-Guided munitions.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:40 pm
timber, my point wasn't the GPS part, a highly likely occurence, but that the Generals so vehemently deny these are US missles but are Iraqi. They simply have to be careful because once they loose credibility, then nothing can be believed. I, for one, accept this explanation but feel their deniability was much too strong and may become problematic. I also realize that the Iraqis are and will kill their own for benefit.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:51 pm
Wilso wrote:

<Another 55 civilians killed in a crowded market place. I don't believe all the children I just saw in the hospital were a threat to the coalition.

Our governments are mass murdering scum.>

According to what I'm told about Aussie humor this could be considered a term of endearment----Tsk---Tsk----Do you feel you have difficulty expressing yourself?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:58 pm
perception wrote:
Wilso wrote:

<Another 55 civilians killed in a crowded market place. I don't believe all the children I just saw in the hospital were a threat to the coalition.

Our governments are mass murdering scum.>

According to what I'm told about Aussie humor this could be considered a term of endearment----Tsk---Tsk----Do you feel you have difficulty expressing yourself?

ho hum

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:01 pm
Wilso

That doesn't even draw a chuckle----maybe you should hire Paul Hogan to communicate for you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:01 pm
It's going to take me forever to catch up - no computer at work today....
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:06 pm
LittleK

Are you saying you normally use "work time" to play on the internet?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:08 pm
yes, in a sense.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:09 pm
I'm happy to report "no injuries" in the explosion in Kuwait City.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:16 pm
I didn't know this until now:

Quote:

This sure makes it hard - must look for other signs, don't want any soldiers chumming up to someone whose about to sick a knife in them. I'm sure they areaware of this, this kind of information is usually dispensed to the troops!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:18 pm
BillW wrote:

If these are cruise missile misses and the General's are reporting the way they are, then out goes believability for the future. As Rumsfelt said - there will be disinformation! hmmmmmmmmm........

In wartime there is ample justifciation for disinformation to be fed to the news media. The media allow themselves to be manipulated as currently manifested by the expert play of the Saddam regime.
There is no attempt to validate the material presented----just the rush to be first!

This is the basis for the old addage--"Truth is the first victim of war". The media is the reason for and the perpetuation of this self evident truth
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:41 pm
Timber wrote:

BillW, the GPS jammers are of quite recent Russian manufacture. At least six have been destroyed, some by GPS-Guided munitions.

and hopefully the Russian technicians who were sent to operate the jammers!
0 Replies