'Tis Hil for sure.

<Yahoo...Repubs rule!>
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:40 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Debra writes
Quote:
I didn't invent First Amendment jurisprudence. Why don't you read the Supreme Court cases (starting with the one that I posted yesterday) and then apply the law to the facts in the three instances you mention. You should be able to determine for yourself whether the First Amendment has been violated.

But....but.....if the whole premise of the CRA is that court cases have been decided wrongly, wouldn't looking to Supreme Court rulings in this case be sort of like looking to the fox for a ruling on chicken thievery?

Your arguments are circular. If the whole premise of the CRA, as you currently state, is to legislatively overrule Supreme Court rulings that interpret the Establishment Clause, then you are arguing to dismantle the Constitution (by divesting the judiciary of its constitutional powers; and vesting Congress with powers it doesn't have pursuant to the Constitution).

BUT, you initially disclaimed that the purpose of the CRA was to dismantle the Constitution. I thought you said the entire premise of the CRA was this:

Foxfyre wrote:
There is no suggestion in the CRA that employees can violate company rules or decorum or be disruptive in the workplace in order to praise God any more than they can do that to praise the Lakers. Nor is there any suggestion that the Constiution be dismantled.

The entire premise of the CRA is this:
If Congress cannot make a law restricting states from the acknowledgment of God under the First Amendment, how can the Supreme Court enforce a law which Congress cannot make?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1319390#1319390

I explained how the "entire premise" was false:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1319541#1319541

Neither Congress NOR the States may violate the First Amendment (applicable to the States via the Fourteenth Amendment) through unconstitutional acknowledgments of God. When either Congress OR the states make a law that violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, it's the COURT's duty to declare the law unconstitutional. The people may challenge unconstitutional laws in federal court. The federal courts have judicial power to hear cases and controversies arising under the Constitution. Congress does NOT have power to divest federal courts of a core judicial function granted by the Constitution itself.

Then you argued:

Foxfyre wrote:
And Debra, your arguments are well stated as always, but I am resisting what I think is your definition of 'establishment of religion'.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1319641#1319641

For which I responded:

It's NOT my definition of the "establishment of religion." It is the definition that has developed through two hundred years of First Amendment jurisprudence.

The law does not allow things to be done indirectly what may not be done directly. There are thousands of ways for government to establish religion in violation of the First Amendment without actually passing a law establishing religion. We would all be fools if we didn't recognize that indirect violations of the First Amendment are just as unconstitutional as direct violations.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1320975#1320975

Now you are arguing that the entire or whole premise underlying the CRA is to dismantle the constitution and to legislatively overrule Supreme Court decisions that you believe are wrong. This is wholly contrary to your earlier assertions. Congress does not have the power to legislatively overrule constitutional rulings. Congress would have to dismantle the constitution and usurp powers it doesn't have in order to legislatively overrule constitutional jurisprudence.

See Dickerson v. United States

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/000/99-5525.html

The Supreme Court wrote:
Given §3501's express designation of voluntariness as the touchstone of admissibility, its omission of any warning requirement, and the instruction for trial courts to consider a nonexclusive list of factors relevant to the circumstances of a confession, we agree with the Court of Appeals that Congress intended by its enactment to overrule Miranda. See also Davis v. United States, 512 U. S. 452, 464 (1994) (Scalia, J., concurring) (stating that, prior to Miranda, "voluntariness vel non was the touchstone of admissibility of confessions"). Because of the obvious conflict between our decision in Miranda and §3501, we must address whether Congress has constitutional authority to thus supersede Miranda. If Congress has such authority, §3501's totality-of-the-circumstances approach must prevail over Miranda's requirement of warnings; if not, that section must yield to Miranda's more specific requirements.

The law in this area is clear. This Court has supervisory authority over the federal courts, and we may use that authority to prescribe rules of evidence and procedure that are binding in those tribunals. Carlisle v. United States, 517 U. S. 416, 426 (1996). However, the power to judicially create and enforce nonconstitutional "rules of procedure and evidence for the federal courts exists only in the absence of a relevant Act of Congress." Palermo v. United States, 360 U. S. 343, 353, n. 11 (1959) (citing Funk v. United States, 290 U. S. 371, 382 (1933), and Gordon v. United States, 344 U. S. 414, 418 (1953)). Congress retains the ultimate authority to modify or set aside any judicially created rules of evidence and procedure that are not required by the Constitution. Palermo, supra, at 345-348; Carlisle, supra, at 426; Vance v. Terrazas, 444 U. S. 252, 265 (1980).

But Congress may not legislatively supersede our decisions interpreting and applying the Constitution. See, e.g., City of Boerne v. Flores, 521 U. S. 507, 517-521 (1997). This case therefore turns on whether the Miranda Court announced a constitutional rule or merely exercised its supervisory authority to regulate evidence in the absence of congressional direction. . . .

. . . Miranda has become embedded in routine police practice to the point where the warnings have become part of our national culture. See Mitchell v. United States, 526 U. S. 314, 331-332 (1999) (Scalia, J., dissenting) (stating that the fact that a rule has found " `wide acceptance in the legal culture' " is "adequate reason not to overrule" it). While we have overruled our precedents when subsequent cases have undermined their doctrinal underpinnings, see, e.g., Patterson v. McLean Credit Union, 491 U. S. 164, 173 (1989), we do not believe that this has happened to the Miranda decision. . . .

In sum, we conclude that Miranda announced a constitutional rule that Congress may not supersede legislatively. Following the rule of stare decisis, we decline to overrule Miranda ourselves.

When the Supreme Court interprets and applies the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, the Supreme Court is setting forth a constitutional rule of law. Congress does not have authority to legislatively supercede
or overrule Supreme Court decisions based on the Court's interpretation and application of the Constitution.

If the whole premise of the CRA is that court cases have been decided wrongly . . . and the purpose of the CRA is to legislatively supercede or overrule Supreme Court decisions . . . then the CRA itself is unconstitutional. The only way CRA would have any force or effect is if Congress can somehow dismantle the constitution and usurp authority it does not have.

The only way the Supreme Court rulings with respect to the Establishment Clause can be overruled is if the Supreme Court itself overrules its prior precedents. The Supreme Court will not do so unless it finds that the doctrinal underpinnings of its prior decisions were wrong. However, if you review the case that I posted yesterday, you will see that the doctrinal underpinnings of its rulings are as solid as rock.

See ENGEL v. VITALE, 370 U.S. 421 (1962)
http://laws.findlaw.com/us/370/421.html

The Supreme Court wrote:
The Constitution was intended to avert a part of this danger by leaving the government of this country in the hands of the people rather than in the hands of any monarch. But this safeguard was not enough. Our Founders were no more willing to let the content of their prayers and their privilege of praying whenever they pleased be influenced by the ballot box than they were to let these vital matters of personal conscience depend upon the succession of monarchs. The First Amendment was added to the Constitution to stand as a guarantee that neither the power nor the prestige of the Federal Government would be used to control, support or influence the kinds of prayer the American people can say - that the people's religious [beliefs] must not be subjected to the pressures of government for change each time a new political administration is elected to office.

Based on clearly stated doctrinal underpinnings of Establishment Clause jurisprudence, I don't think you'll find the Supreme Court willing to allow the Bush Administration or whatever political administration that is elected to office to usurp its judicial power to interpret and apply the Establishment Clause to cases and controversies through the enactment of the CRA.

Whichever premise you want to hang your hat, it cannot be justified.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:48 pm
Joe,
I would not take exception to it because I dont fear religion,unlike some people on here.

I would raise my kids to respect ALL religions,and to decide for themselves what they want.

They would be exposed to all religions,and if they wanted to practice any particular faith,I would let them.
EVERY religion has something to teach us,if we care to learn.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:18 pm
Debra wrote
Quote:
If the whole premise of the CRA is that court cases have been decided wrongly . . . and the purpose of the CRA is to legislatively supercede or overrule Supreme Court decisions . . . then the CRA itself is unconstitutional. The only way CRA would have any force or effect is if Congress can somehow dismantle the constitution and usurp authority it does not have.

I'm not intentionally being obtuse here Debra. But as we established elsewhere, you and I look at judicial activism differently with me seeing it as much more of a problem than you thus far have indicated, as nearly as I can tell.

And I am neither arguing nor summarily dismissing your excellent arguments here. With each exchange I am learning something, but I am nowhere near ready to convict these people who advocate the CRA, or something like it, of having any intention of dismantling the constiution. I rather see them as being convinced others are slowly chipping away at it with the net effect that it is no longer the document that it was and, in effect, is slowly being dismantled.

Joe is trying his best to make this an issue of religious fanaticism, but I'm just not seeing that in this case. I see this as a case of people who are just tired of being pushed in ways they believe to be wrong. You (and others) of course disagree with them and believe the constitution has been protected and rightly interpreted, and if the CRA advocates prevail, the Constitution will be harmed, if not destroyed.

And yes, the argument has become a bit circular, especially when compared to Parados's thread. He argued consistently that the only remedy for a rogue judge or a rogue, runaway court, is impeachment. Your argument has been consistent that the court has judged according to the constitution in all its rulings, and the Court can declare any other opinions to be illegal.

And that leaves the rest of us wondering how that does not make the Supreme Court a king with little or no checks and balances on what it can do, legal or illegal? Of course the people can rise up, have the king beheaded, and install a new one with hopes it will be better. But surely there is a less destructive way to deal with it.

Advocates of the CRA believe the Courts have violated the First Amendment. Opponents believe the CRA would violate the Constitution in general. I haven't cast my vote yet one way or the other.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 12:50 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm not intentionally being obtuse here Debra. But as we established elsewhere, you and I look at judicial activism differently with me seeing it as much more of a problem than you thus far have indicated, as nearly as I can tell.

There are those who do not understand the fundamental constitutional framework of our government built upon separation of powers and checks and balances. When the Supreme Court declares that some particular law is unconstitutional, there will be people who disagree. They think that America is a democracy and that the majority rules. They don't think that the Supreme Court should have the power to strike down a majoritarian law as unconstitutional. They inaccurately and falsely accuse the Supreme Court of "judicial activism" or "legislating from the bench." But they fail to understand that America is NOT a pure democracy. It's a republic.

It's the court's duty to interpret and apply the Constitution to cases and controveries arising under the Constitution. This is one of the core functions of the court in the exercise of its judicial powers. When the court performs a core function, it is not engaging in "judicial activism."

The Constitution stands as the guardian of individual rights. Neither the majority of the people nor their legislative representatives have the power to enact laws that violate individual rights secured by the Constitution. When laws are enacted that violate the Constitution, it's the Court's duty to declare those laws unconstitutional.

When you disagree with a Supreme Court decision, you call it "judicial activism." But you fail to understand that the Court's duty is to define the liberty of all whether you agree with the Court or not. In a constitutional republic, the majority does not have the power to deprive others of equal protection under the law and fundamental liberty.

Foxfyre wrote:
And I am neither arguing nor summarily dismissing your excellent arguments here. With each exchange I am learning something, but I am nowhere near ready to convict these people who advocate the CRA, or something like it, of having any intention of dismantling the constiution. I rather see them as being convinced others are slowly chipping away at it with the net effect that it is no longer the document that it was and, in effect, is slowly being dismantled.

Supporters of the CRA are advocating for the enactment of mere legislation intended to divest the courts of constitutionally vested judicial powers. Mere legislation cannot trump the Constitution. Either the supporters of the CRA are ignorant or they intend to dismantle the Constitution under the guise of "restoring" it.

Foxfyre wrote:
Joe is trying his best to make this an issue of religious fanaticism, but I'm just not seeing that in this case. I see this as a case of people who are just tired of being pushed in ways they believe to be wrong. You (and others) of course disagree with them and believe the constitution has been protected and rightly interpreted, and if the CRA advocates prevail, the Constitution will be harmed, if not destroyed.

I think you are mischaracterizing Joe's contributions to this thread and you're mischaracterizing my contributions to this thread.

In what ways are people being pushed in ways they believe to be wrong? How is it wrong to prohibit people from acting in an unconstitutional manner? How can it be wrong to prohibit people from imposing their beliefs or morals on others and infringing upon their liberty interests unless they have a legitimate or compelling reason for doing so? Being a citizen of this country doesn't give you the right to oppress others even if you think you are right and they are wrong.

I don't always agree with the Supreme Court. In my opinion, the Court doesn't fullfill its duty often enough to secure the liberty of all against the tyranny of the many. But, I look back over the last century (especially the last half-century) of Supreme Court decisions and I see a Court that is moving in the right direction, albeit, slowly.

If Congress is stupid enough to pass the CRA, I believe the Supreme Court will be smart enough to declare it unconstitutional. However, I believe the supporters of the CRA are engaged in a campaign of disinformation and cashing in on an uneducated, unsophisticated public for political gain.

I'm very disappointed in the majority of citizens of this country. They live here, but they have no idea what it means to live in a constitutional republic if they believe Congress has the power to prevent the courts from interpreting and applying the constitution. I'm actually quite ashamed of the ignorance that my fellow citizens repeatedly display concerning the very nature of our own government.

Quote:
Your argument has been consistent that the court has judged according to the constitution in all its rulings, and the Court can declare any other opinions to be illegal.

Again, you are mischaracterizing my argument. And, I'm not even arguing. I'm stating undeniable facts. It's the Court's job to interpret and apply the Constitution to cases and controversies arising under the Constitution. Congress does not have authority to legislatively overrule a judicial decision based on the Constitution.

Quote:
And that leaves the rest of us wondering how that does not make the Supreme Court a king with little or no checks and balances on what it can do, legal or illegal? Of course the people can rise up, have the king beheaded, and install a new one with hopes it will be better. But surely there is a less destructive way to deal with it.

You don't behead the Supreme Court justices because you disagree with their decisions. It's the Supreme Court's job to interpret and apply the Constitution to cases and controversies. If the people do not agree with the Court's constitutional precedents, the people can amend the Constitution to provide otherwise.

See CITY OF BOERNE v. FLORES, 521 U.S. 507 (1997):

The Supreme Court wrote:
Under our Constitution, the Federal Government is one of enumerated powers. McCulloch v. Maryland, 4 Wheat. 316, 405 (1819); see also The Federalist No. 45, p. 292 (C. Rossiter ed. 1961) (J. Madison). The judicial authority to determine the constitutionality of laws, in cases and controversies, is based on the premise that the "powers of the legislature are defined and limited; and that those limits may not be mistaken, or forgotten, the constitution is written." Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch 137, 176 (1803).

The design of the Fourteenth Amendment has proved significant also in maintaining the traditional separation of powers between Congress and the Judiciary. The first eight Amendments to the Constitution set forth self executing prohibitions on governmental action, and this Court has had primary authority to interpret those prohibitions. . . .

As enacted, the Fourteenth Amendment confers substantive rights against the States which, like the provisions of the Bill of Rights, are self executing. Cf. South Carolina v. Katzenbach, 383 U.S., at 325 (discussing Fifteenth Amendment). The power to interpret the Constitution in a case or controversy remains in the Judiciary.

If Congress could define its own powers . . . no longer would the Constitution be "superior paramount law, unchangeable by ordinary means." It would be "on a level with ordinary legislative acts, and, like other acts, . . . alterable when the legislature shall please to alter it." Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch, at 177. Under this approach, it is difficult to conceive of a principle that would limit congressional power. . . . Shifting legislative majorities could change the Constitution and effectively circumvent the difficult and detailed amendment process contained in Article V.

Foxfyre wrote:
Advocates of the CRA believe the Courts have violated the First Amendment. Opponents believe the CRA would violate the Constitution in general. I haven't cast my vote yet one way or the other.

This is an oxymoron. How can a Court violate the First Amendment by upholding the First Amendment?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 01:23 am
mysteryman wrote:
Joe,
I would not take exception to it because I dont fear religion, unlike some people on here.

I would raise my kids to respect ALL religions,and to decide for themselves what they want.

They would be exposed to all religions,and if they wanted to practice any particular faith,I would let them.

How about the Westboro Baptist Church, MM?

Their homepage banner says, "God Hates Fags".

What can they teach us? Would you like the address so you can send your kids to one of their bible camps?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:24 am
JTT wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Joe,
I would not take exception to it because I dont fear religion, unlike some people on here.

How about the Westboro Baptist Church, MM?

Their homepage banner says, "God Hates Fags".

What can they teach us? Would you like the address so you can send your kids to one of their bible camps?

I said all religions,not all religious people or churches.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 05:41 am
mm wrote:
Quote:
I said all religions,not all religious people or churches.

Yes. All religions teach us something. Some of them, however, do not teach us what they think they are teaching us. Jesus wept. I think he saw how things would go.

Debra Law:
You continue to impress me with your well-turned arguments and statements of facts. I also share in your belief that what we have going on in this country is a campaign of disinformation and that the purveyors are well aware of the lack of knowledge held by the American public. The idea seems to have been spread that the Courts make decisions without deliberate consideration of the facts and the law. That may be the way some politicians make decisions, that may be the way you and I and others decide on what's for dinner, but it's not the way Courts decide.

In a recent interview Justice O'Connor was asked what do the Justices do all day? She replied "We read." Adding to a follow-up, she added that it was usually 900 - 1000 pages a day and then she said "Then we write."
Chiming in agreement Justice Scalia, who was there with Justice Breyer, said he likes to leave a little time in between the reading and the writing for some thinking.

These are not people acting like kings, the most recent thrown in canard, but Judges, looking at the present state of the law, examining the structures that hold it in place and making deliberate rulings.

Joe(What does Tom DeLay read everyday, Men in Black?)Nation
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:07 am
Have you read Men in Black? Or are the courts so sacrosanct, that it is sinful to closely scrutinize, let alone criticize them?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Have you read Men in Black? Or are the courts so sacrosanct, that it is sinful to closely scrutinize, let alone criticize them?

Why should I support Mark Levin's skewed views by buying his book?

Read the reviews:

Men In Black: How the Supreme Court Is Destroying America

He bases his unsubstantiated conclusion that the Supreme Court has corrupted the ideals of our founding fathers upon his entirely erroneous view of Marbury v. Madison. He claims the court granted itself the power to declare acts of the other branches of government unconstitutional.

Well, if you truly believe that, Foxfyre, then I suppose Mark Levin could sell you swamp land in Florida.

As Barnum would say, "There's a sucker born every minute." People like Mark Levin capitalize on the gullibility of the public--those millions of mindless sheep who never learn to activate their bullshit detectors.

Our founding fathers made it absolutely clear that the Constitution was the supreme law of the land and it was the Court's duty to uphold the Constitution and to strike down ordinary legislation that conflicts with the Constitution.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:09 pm
Our forefather's intention in vesting the courts with judicial power to declare ordinary legislative acts unconstitutional when those acts conflict with the Constitution is set forth in the Federalist 78:

Quote:
The complete independence of the courts of justice is peculiarly essential in a limited Constitution. By a limited Constitution, I understand one which contains certain specified exceptions to the legislative authority; such, for instance, as that it shall pass no bills of attainder, no ex-post-facto laws, and the like. Limitations of this kind can be preserved in practice no other way than through the medium of courts of justice, whose duty it must be to declare all acts contrary to the manifest tenor of the Constitution void. Without this, all the reservations of particular rights or privileges would amount to nothing.

There is no position which depends on clearer principles, than that every act of a delegated authority, contrary to the tenor of the commission under which it is exercised, is void. No legislative act, therefore, contrary to the Constitution, can be valid.

It is far more rational to suppose, that the courts were designed to be an intermediate body between the people and the legislature, in order, among other things, to keep the latter [the legislature] within the limits assigned to their authority. The interpretation of the laws is the proper and peculiar province of the courts. A constitution is, in fact, and must be regarded by the judges, as a fundamental law. It therefore belongs to them to ascertain its meaning, as well as the meaning of any particular act proceeding from the legislative body. If there should happen to be an irreconcilable variance between the two, that which has the superior obligation and validity ought, of course, to be preferred; or, in other words, the Constitution ought to be preferred to the statute, the intention of the people [as set forth in the Constititution] to the intention of their agents [as set forth in ordinary legislation].

Nor does this conclusion by any means suppose a superiority of the judicial to the legislative power. It only supposes that the power of the people [as set forth in the Constitution] is superior to both; and that where the will of the legislature, declared in its statutes, stands in opposition to that of the people, declared in the Constitution, the judges ought to be governed by the latter [the Constitution] rather than the former [ordinary legislation]. They ought to regulate their decisions by the fundamental laws [the Constitution], rather than by those which are not fundamental [ordinary legislation].

If, then, the courts of justice are to be considered as the bulwarks of a limited Constitution against legislative encroachments, this consideration will afford a strong argument for the permanent tenure of judicial offices, since nothing will contribute so much as this to that independent spirit in the judges which must be essential to the faithful performance of so arduous a duty.

This independence of the judges is equally requisite to guard the Constitution and the rights of individuals from the effects of those ill humors, which the arts of designing men, or the influence of particular conjunctures, sometimes disseminate among the people themselves, and which, though they speedily give place to better information, and more deliberate reflection, have a tendency, in the meantime, to occasion dangerous innovations in the government, and serious oppressions of the minor party in the community.

Though I trust the friends of the proposed Constitution will never concur with its enemies, in questioning that fundamental principle of republican government, which admits the right of the people to alter or abolish the established Constitution, whenever they find it inconsistent with their happiness, yet it is not to be inferred from this principle, that the representatives of the people, whenever a momentary inclination happens to lay hold of a majority of their constituents, incompatible with the provisions in the existing Constitution, would, on that account, be justifiable in a violation of those provisions; or that the courts would be under a greater obligation to connive at infractions in this shape, than when they had proceeded wholly from the cabals of the representative body.

Until the people have, by some solemn and authoritative act, annulled or changed the established form, it is binding upon themselves collectively, as well as individually; and no presumption, or even knowledge, of their sentiments, can warrant their representatives in a departure from it, prior to such an act. But it is easy to see, that it would require an uncommon portion of fortitude in the judges to do their duty as faithful guardians of the Constitution, where legislative invasions of it had been instigated by the major voice of the community.

But it is not with a view to infractions of the Constitution only, that the independence of the judges may be an essential safeguard against the effects of occasional ill humors in the society. These sometimes extend no farther than to the injury of the private rights of particular classes of citizens, by unjust and partial laws. Here also the firmness of the judicial magistracy is of vast importance in mitigating the severity and confining the operation of such laws. It not only serves to moderate the immediate mischiefs of those which may have been passed, but it operates as a check upon the legislative body in passing them; who, perceiving that obstacles to the success of iniquitous intention are to be expected from the scruples of the courts, are in a manner compelled, by the very motives of the injustice they meditate, to qualify their attempts.

This is a circumstance calculated to have more influence upon the character of our governments, than but few may be aware of. The benefits of the integrity and moderation of the judiciary have already been felt in more States than one; and though they may have displeased those whose sinister expectations they may have disappointed, they must have commanded the esteem and applause of all the virtuous and disinterested. Considerate men, of every description, ought to prize whatever will tend to beget or fortify that temper in the courts: as no man can be sure that he may not be to-morrow the victim of a spirit of injustice, by which he may be a gainer to-day. And every man must now feel, that the inevitable tendency of such a spirit is to sap the foundations of public and private confidence, and to introduce in its stead universal distrust and distress.

That inflexible and uniform adherence to the rights of the Constitution, and of individuals, which we perceive to be indispensable in the courts of justice, can certainly not be expected from judges who hold their offices by a temporary commission. Periodical appointments, however regulated, or by whomsoever made, would, in some way or other, be fatal to their necessary independence. If the power of making them was committed either to the Executive or legislature, there would be danger of an improper complaisance to the branch which possessed it; if to both, there would be an unwillingness to hazard the displeasure of either; if to the people, or to persons chosen by them for the special purpose, there would be too great a disposition to consult popularity, to justify a reliance that nothing would be consulted but the Constitution and the laws.

Source: The Federalist 78

The judicial power of the courts extends to ALL cases and controversies arising under the Constitution; the judiciary is the guardian of the Constitution; and when ordinary legislation conflicts with the Constitution, it is the Court's DUTY to declare that legislation VOID (unconstitutional). Levin's premise that the courts granted themselves the power to void ordinary legislation as unconstitutional is completely without merit and contrary to the intention of our founding fathers when they created an independent judiciary.

The entire premise of Levin's book, Men in Black, is FALSE.

He can fool some of the people . . . but he can't fool me.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:37 pm
Debra,
Where in the federalist papers or the constitution does it give the judiciary the power or authority to "find" rights that do not exist in the Constitution?

BTW,according to what you posted,the courts did not have the authority to rule on Roe v Wade,because it did not come from the legislature.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Debra,
Where in the federalist papers or the constitution does it give the judiciary the power or authority to "find" rights that do not exist in the Constitution?

BTW,according to what you posted,the courts did not have the authority to rule on Roe v Wade,because it did not come from the legislature.

mysteryman: Where in the constitution do you find an enumeration of rights rather than limitations and prohibitions on governmental powers with respect to the rights retained by the people? And then take a look at the NINTH Amendment, the PREAMBLE, and the Declaration of Independence.

The Constitution may not be construed as an enumeration of rights that would deny or disparage other rights retained by the people. When we formed government--we did not surrender all inalienable rights to government only to have a few granted back to us via the Constitution. We created government to SECURE all of our retained, inalienable rights. Where in the Constitution does it say the people do NOT have the right to privacy?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:03 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Where can you find in anything stated in the Federalist 78 that the courts did not have authority to decide Roe v. Wade? Roe v. Wade most certainly did arise from constitutional challenges to state legislation.

Have you heard of the Fourteenth Amendment? Even though the Fourteenth Amendment was added to the Constitution after the Federalist papers were written; even after Marbury v. Madison . . . the Fourteenth Amendment is still fundamental constitutional law that is superior to state legislation.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:51 pm
What is curious to me about the present state of the debate, if you can call it that, regarding the Courts and Judicial Review is the Conservative's lack of faith in the American Constitution. Throughout our history there have been a number of faulty Supreme Court decisions, Plessy vs Ferguson comes to mind and, of course, the Dred Scott decision, but what did the believers in the Constitution do after these decisions? Did they rail or foment revolution? Did they threaten judges with impeachment? No, they looked to the law and waited for the right opportunity to present their case, believing in the rightness of their cause.

Plessy lay like an abscess upon the American democratic republic. Imagine, not one nation, but two, separate but somehow equal. How the Founding Fathers must have wept in heaven seeing their Republic so torn. So, though it took sixty years, the believers in America brought forth their case, Brown vs Education and a mighty wound in the nation was healed with all it's citizens restored to full Constitutional Rights.

Conservatives have had thirty years thus far to find a case to use to overturn Roe vs Wade. It will be a difficult cause to raise for instead of expanding rights under the Constitution, such a cause would restrict the right of a citizen of the United States to make private decisions in favor of their own well-being, their own pursuit of happiness as it were.

They have had even longer to find some cause of action in the matter of school prayer. The words of the First Amendment are written too clearly for any easy way to be found around them, but they may find a way.

The way they propose to reverse these decisions is not through the law, and not, thankfully, through revolution, but through the Justices who would make decisions based not on the foundations of Law but on the furtherance of the Conservative political agenda.

Thus we could have another Dred Scott decision deciding that some persons are not persons who can make private decisions, that once a woman is pregnant, her citizenship can be limited by the State. We can have another Plessy wherein the proponents of Christian prayer in public schools and venues can subvert the rights of all other citizens to a separate but able to leave the room status.

And they do this, or try to, by decrying judges who follow the law rather than a ideology. The Judges in the Schiavo case took the most conservative view of the law, but they are the ones the right declaims as arrogant. Wouldn't they have been activist judges to do otherwise?

The lawyers in the case of Brown vs. Education had one thing that the opponents of Roe and the other rights expanding decisions do not have, the belief that the truth will be upheld. If Conservatives truly believed in the rightness of their beliefs they would look to the law and find a way rather than look to substituting judges with others who will look askance at the words of the Constitution and start the devolution of the Republic.

Joe(thank again to Debra for her earnest, forthright and clear postings)Nation
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:10 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
The Constitution may not be construed as an enumeration of rights that would deny or disparage other rights retained by the people. When we formed government--we did not surrender all inalienable rights to government only to have a few granted back to us via the Constitution. We created government to SECURE all of our retained, inalienable rights. Where in the Constitution does it say the people do NOT have the right to privacy?

In all of the debates I have encountered on this issue, both in the broader public and here on A2K, this is the first time I have seen this point presented. But then maybe I'm not paying attention. But the revers of that point, that if it is not in the Constitution then you don't have it, seems to encapsulate the current conservative complaint against the judiciary and current law in general. Debra's point should be repeated again and again.

Also Joe Nation, thank you for you clear and forthright posting.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:32 pm
Thank you Joe and Debra. Your postings have clarified the issues in my mind...and given me new hope that we will survive this judicial upheaval.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:23 pm
In reference to a situation where Mysteryman was a nonMormon who lived in a predominantly Mormon school district that decided to engrave the walls with the words of the Book of Mormon in gold leaf,

mysteryman wrote:

I would not take exception to it because I dont fear religion,unlike some people on here.

Excuse me, Mysteryman, but respect works two ways.

How much respect would the Mormons be showing nonMormons if they take the nonMormons' tax money and use it to build a "public" school in which very walls are advertisements pushing the Mormons' religion at the expense of the nonMormons' religion? That doesn't show much respect at all.

Sure, I think the social studies class should indeed include a survey of what various religions believe-it's part of teaching the kids the world around them. But this survey should be done neutrally-the teacher does not personally endorse any religion, it merely informs the students what each religion believes.

This is a far, far cry from having the words of the founder of a religion which is contrary to your own engraved on the walls, put there for the kids to ponder and draw inspiration from. That is a very, very different thing indeed.

mysteryman wrote:
They would be exposed to all religions...

Excuse me, but what nonMormon religion would the students be exposed to, in this circumstance?

mysteryman wrote:
.....and if they wanted to practice any particular faith,I would let them.

Very ecumenical of you, but the fact is that if religious freedom means anything at all, it is that parents are free to raise their children in their religion. Even if that religion happens to be in the local minority.

Parents spend time with their children teaching them what their religion teaches, what makes it unique, what it demands of it's members. And yes, they have the right to teach that their religion is superior to the other religions. They have the right to believe that.

People who are a local religious minority-a nonMormon in Utah, a nonCatholic in Boston, a Catholic in South Carolina-will have pressure exerted on them and their children to conform to the majority religion. By their speech and manner, their neighbors will subtly communicate that the NORMAL religion is something else. And who wants to be considered abnormal?

Parents who are not in the local religious majority will go to great effort and expense to raise their kids in their religion, despite outside influences. They have the right to do that. And it is understood that the kids will observe the family religion until they at least are old enough to go out on their own. In fact, the parents don't particularly have to support any change in religion the children undergo after they leave the nest, either. That's up to them.

mysteryman wrote:

Maybe yes, maybe no. But that doesn't give the Mormons the right to engrave the Book of Mormon on the walls in Utah, the Catholics to anoint the classrooms with statues of the saints in Massachusetts, or South Carolinians to post the most anti-Papist sermons all over the school walls.

The tax supported schools are there for reading, writing and 'rithmetic-not to promote the majority religion at the expense of the minority.

Mysteryman, I seriously doubt that if you were a parent trying to raise your children in a religion contrary to the local majority, that you would stand idly by while the majority hijacked the local schools and made it an extension of THIEIR church-as opposed to your church, which they clearly do not care about.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:30 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

In all of the debates I have encountered on this issue, both in the broader public and here on A2K, this is the first time I have seen this point presented. But then maybe I'm not paying attention. But the revers of that point, that if it is not in the Constitution then you don't have it, seems to encapsulate the current conservative complaint against the judiciary and current law in general. Debra's point should be repeated again and again.

Also Joe Nation, thank you for you clear and forthright posting.

Acquiunk:

I have pointed to this FUNDAMENTAL fact in numerous discussions. It is important to note that the first eight amendments to the Constitution are LIMITATIONS or PROHIBITIONS upon government.

For example, the First Amendment provides: "Congress shall make no law [<-prohibition on government action] respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The First Amendment does NOT grant the people the freedom of religion, the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the right to peaceable assembly, or the right to petition. The people already had these rights. Government was prohibited from denying or disparaging the rights RETAINED by the people. The role of Government is to SECURE individual rights retained by the people.

The Ninth Amendment provides: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

PREAMBLE: We the people of the United States, in order to . . . SECURE the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

We surrendered nothing to government; we retained everything when we formed government. The Constitution was intended to SECURE the inalienable rights that we retained -- after all, our rights are "inalienable" and incapable of being surrendered. These rights (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, et al.) cannot be sold or given away--they belong to us.

DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to SECURE these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. . . ."

When we formed government, we surrendered NOTHING and retained EVERYTHING. Government is our SERVANT--it exists to SECURE our rights.

It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for any written constitution to enumerate all rights retained by the people. Accordingly, many of our forefathers were worried that a Bill of Rights would be construed to deny or disparage other rights retained by the people. See the Federalist 84:

http://www.foundingfathers.info/federalistpapers/fed84.htm

Quote:
It has been several times truly remarked that bills of rights are, in their origin, stipulations between kings and their subjects, abridgements of prerogative in favor of privilege, reservations of rights not surrendered to the prince. Such was MAGNA CHARTA, obtained by the barons, sword in hand, from King John. Such were the subsequent confirmations of that charter by succeeding princes. Such was the PETITION OF RIGHT assented to by Charles I., in the beginning of his reign. Such, also, was the Declaration of Right presented by the Lords and Commons to the Prince of Orange in 1688, and afterwards thrown into the form of an act of parliament called the Bill of Rights. It is evident, therefore, that, according to their primitive signification, they have no application to constitutions professedly founded upon the power of the people, and executed by their immediate representatives and servants. Here, in strictness, the people surrender nothing; and as they retain every thing they have no need of particular reservations. "WE, THE PEOPLE of the United States, to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ORDAIN and ESTABLISH this Constitution for the United States of America." Here is a better recognition of popular rights, than volumes of those aphorisms which make the principal figure in several of our State bills of rights, and which would sound much better in a treatise of ethics than in a constitution of government.

But a minute detail of particular rights is certainly far less applicable to a Constitution like that under consideration, which is merely intended to regulate the general political interests of the nation, than to a constitution which has the regulation of every species of personal and private concerns. If, therefore, the loud clamors against the plan of the convention, on this score, are well founded, no epithets of reprobation will be too strong for the constitution of this State. But the truth is, that both of them contain all which, in relation to their objects, is reasonably to be desired.

I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and, on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do? Why, for instance, should it be said that the liberty of the press shall not be restrained, when no power is given by which restrictions may be imposed? I will not contend that such a provision would confer a regulating power; but it is evident that it would furnish, to men disposed to usurp, a plausible pretense for claiming that power. They might urge with a semblance of reason, that the Constitution ought not to be charged with the absurdity of providing against the abuse of an authority which was not given, and that the provision against restraining the liberty of the press afforded a clear implication, that a power to prescribe proper regulations concerning it was intended to be vested in the national government. This may serve as a specimen of the numerous handles which would be given to the doctrine of constructive powers, by the indulgence of an injudicious zeal for bills of rights. . . .

Inasmuch as it was impossible to enumerate all rights that were retained by the people with respect to every species of personal and private concern, the Ninth Amendment was proposed and passed to ensure that the specification of some of the rights retained by the people would not be construed to deny or disparage other rights retained by the people.

Accordingly, reference to "constitutional rights" is a legal fiction. We don't have constitutional rights. We have inalienable rights that are secured by the Constitution. We don't have a First Amendment right to freedom of speech; we have freedom of speech that is secured from governmental abridgment by the First Amendment. The First Amendment nor any other enumeration of rights secured against governmental infringement may be construed to deny or disparage all other rights RETAINED by the people.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:19 am
So what Thomas Jefferson heard as "a fire bell in the night" was the chance that some future Congress might take it upon themselves to further refine the inalienable rights already secured by the Constitution. There are a lot of very helpful people out there like that, people who like to help others decide what is decent and proper and patriotic.

Thus read the first ten amendments to say "Not so fast, buddy."

Therein we find restrictions on the government and admonitions to the judiciary to provide warrants, a speedy trial, an inexcessive bail, etc and, as Debra has so aptly pointed out, in the Ninth said "Before you get any big ideas, just because we have listed some rights of the people here doesn't mean that's all of them."

And then they penned my favorite:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The powers of government are granted, not from above as from a king or a deity, but from the People of the United States.

Joe(The Articles of Confederation were written by politicians.)Nation
0 Replies