ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
Me too.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:54 am
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Giving the girl back the jelly beans might have defused the situation.

The school, parents, whoever else is involved, could have met later to discuss what is going on - determine if the school was the appropriate setting for the child. Perhaps the mother needs parenting training - perhaps they both need some sort of therapy - perhaps the teachers need better training - definitely the police need better training.

(and anyone who thinks I'd now consider an A2K get-together in Florida is inhaling)
No, but I assume Duke of Lancaster, and Goodfeilder would want to.

CG I've been a cop for 35 years and never had to deal with something like this - heck I think I would have gone out and got the kid a very big jar of jelly beans (I've conned a few crooks in my time but I think she would have been not to tough to deal with Very Happy )
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:21 am
IMO, that girl didn't need handcuffs but she did need a swift smack on the bottom and some discipline by her parents.

Handcuffs on a 5 year old is unacceptable because she is 5 and obviously doesn't know any better. The parents should be ashamed of the way their child behaves.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:27 am
She definitely needed/needs limits set. Unfortunately, now she is set up to fear and mistrust authority and it doesn't bode well from here. 5-year-olds are still supposed to believe that cops are your friends. This girl now believes that she is a criminal. Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:28 am
FreeDuck wrote:
She definitely needed/needs limits set. Unfortunately, now she is set up to fear and mistrust authority and it doesn't bode well from here. 5-year-olds are still supposed to believe that cops are your friends. This girl now believes that she is a criminal. Self-fulfilling prophecy, anyone?

<<nodding vigorously>>
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:29 am
Handcuffs are a restraining tool when you take away the criminal associations. So is a strait jacket, when you take away the mentally impaired associations. It seems to me there was an effort to protect the child from herself and the police used the only available tool they had.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
I may be in error here but I am pretty sure the first news story on saw on this event explained that the police had been pre-called and told to handcuff the girl when they arrived, this would indicated to me that the girl was setup and the entire issue of "needed restraint" is bogus.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:37 am
I see...i didn't know that
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:38 am
She clearly didn't need restraining at the time she was handcuffed. This was designed to teach her a lesson. Unfortunately, I think she learned something other than what was intended.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:40 am
Thanks Sozobe.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
You too, Ossobuco - (I didn't go to the next page). :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
FreeDuck wrote:

This kid has much worse problems than you imagine, Duck.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:47 am
I'm sure that's true, Frank. I just can't imagine that what just happened to her will do anything to help that.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:18 pm
I think we are biased when it comes to children. When they do something positive, it's because they "know more than we think," however when they do something negative, "they know no better." Make up your minds!

The child was acting like a spoiled, bratty little devil. The adult couldn't handle her. Now of course, I would have refused to react to the child until she sat down an spoke to me about what was bothering her, but in today's world, that doesn't happen.

I see nothing wrong, personally, with her being handcuffed considering that she was out of hand and obviously the woman was in too much of a panic to think of anything logical (like actual conversation, as I pointed out before). I think that if parents began being parents again, and actually disciplined their children without abusing them, then this would seldom happen. However, the parent-child relationship rarely exists in today's world and so children are left with no way to behave but extremely, in order to grab someone's attention. That's my take on it, though.

I think the child was old enough to control herself and I see no problem with the handcuffing because I do believe that children are intelligent and are not victims of their own behavior.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:19 pm
I say put her in a sack and throw her in the river.
0 Replies