5

Lets discuss phone scams and how they evolve

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:04 am
I receive a pot load of calls from 'my Microsoft Windows technicians' sometime 3 a day...I also get calls from 'government' folks offering free 'leg, knee, back braces' to alleviate pain.....Ive gotten a call from "grandson" in desperate situation in New York who desperately needs money (if mr G'bag answers the phone..he hears a pathetic 'Grandpah).....then there are the voice mail calls telling me to call the IRS or "U/I" computer server company who wants to send me a refund.....

It's all bullshit folks, these people are trying to steal money from us...you, me, your parents, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles.......they want to frighten people into dumping their savings into the pockets of thieves.

Maybe it's time to start sharing the stories....I've gotten as many as 6 calls in one day...not every single day....but usually at least 4 days out of a 7 day week.

The most recent call has been the voice notification telling me Medicare has sent me several letters and phone calls and if I don't click 1 and talk to a 'representative' I will become ineligible for future coverage.....Again, utter bullshit, but if you are elderly dealing with a serious condition it might scare the absolute bejesus out of you.

Let's frustrate these thieves until they find another way to make a living. And if it's another illegal scheme, let's deprive them of that as well.

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:20 am
@glitterbag,
You missed one, unless the systems have changed in the past few years. If you press one or two as instructed, you are actually dialing a phone number. If that number happens to have a 9xx area code, your next phone might include a surprising charge. Of course, never dial a 9xx area code.

I used to get calls from Rachael from card member services telling me there is no problem with my account at this time. I think they fired the poor girl. Now it's a male voice. Far as I'm concerned, it's Rachael or nobody.

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:36 am
@roger,
I am all in for Rachael.

3  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 05:32 am
3 in a row the other day, telling me my SSN is being used for crimes and I need to call so I can turn myself in, otherwise my SSN will be suspended.

It doesn't work that way, folks. Your SSN is your ID number. It can't be "suspended".

blatham

2  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:30 am
They never call me.

As if I didn't have self-esteem issues already.

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:26 am
@glitterbag,
When I moved house I got a new phone number, and so far, touch wood, I've not got any more of those calls.

I used to get a lot claiming to be from British Telecom who still provide the majority of land lines but not mine.

One thing that stood out was they all had very English names and very strong Indian accents. When I got one I used to use them therapeutically as a means to get rid of my frustration with the world by screaming all manner of abuse at them. It was amazing how long they'd stay on the phone to listen to all this ****.

2  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:35 am
@glitterbag,
One way they've evolved is by hacking into your computer while phoning you. There was someone who got a call claiming to be from a bank so they called the bank only to be told that he knew they were contacting his colleague and he was genuine.

He was being watched on the camera on his computer. He lost a lot of money.

If your computer has a camera, put something in front of it when you're not skyping.

Region Philbis

3  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:42 am

we only answer calls from phone numbers we recognize...

Sturgis

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 04:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Another scam arrived on the scene recently. In this one, scammers call from a number nearly identical to that of the Social Security Administration. Similar to the common money grabbing scams, they tell the person to buy phone cards or other cards and then .read off the numbers on the cards. That of course is so the scammer can then convert and cash in the cards. Many have fallen for it.

I figure if the SSA wants to contact me, they'll send a letter and darned sure they would not tell me to go and buy these cards.

Sturgis

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 04:30 pm
For a time I was getting several calls daily. Not recognizing the number, I didn't answer.

But these crooks are dedicated and leave a message with a call back number.

It turns out there is (according to them), "a warrant" out on me which will "lead to" my arrest!

On the average day there were warrants from 3 states.
Heavens to Betsy, what a predicament! What should I do? Erase the message, do not respond.

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:30 pm
Hey, I've got a question on something similar call. It shows it is coming from my phone number and my name. Never a message. It's been going on for awhile. Should I look for problems, and maybe change the number?

1  
Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:45 pm
@roger,
I've gotten a few of those calls, it showed up with mr. g'bags name and our landline number. I answered it the first time I saw it (out of curiosity) and it was one of the fake computer help people.

The thieves put a lot of effort in to these scams.

1  
Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 12:53 pm
@glitterbag,
You have to wonder what other calls they are making while using your name and number

jayden77

0  
Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:39 am
@glitterbag,
Well, I think I have already sick of receiving these calls. Few years ago, I got at least 3 daily calls from those scammers every single day. I prefer to ignore those calls now, though.

2  
Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 12:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

They never call me.

Would you like me to send you the phone number of the imaginary computer company that wishes to send me a refund because they are going out of business???