Lets discuss phone scams and how they evolve

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:04 am
I receive a pot load of calls from 'my Microsoft Windows technicians' sometime 3 a day...I also get calls from 'government' folks offering free 'leg, knee, back braces' to alleviate pain.....Ive gotten a call from "grandson" in desperate situation in New York who desperately needs money (if mr G'bag answers the phone..he hears a pathetic 'Grandpah).....then there are the voice mail calls telling me to call the IRS or "U/I" computer server company who wants to send me a refund.....

It's all bullshit folks, these people are trying to steal money from us...you, me, your parents, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles.......they want to frighten people into dumping their savings into the pockets of thieves.

Maybe it's time to start sharing the stories....I've gotten as many as 6 calls in one day...not every single day....but usually at least 4 days out of a 7 day week.

The most recent call has been the voice notification telling me Medicare has sent me several letters and phone calls and if I don't click 1 and talk to a 'representative' I will become ineligible for future coverage.....Again, utter bullshit, but if you are elderly dealing with a serious condition it might scare the absolute bejesus out of you.

Let's frustrate these thieves until they find another way to make a living. And if it's another illegal scheme, let's deprive them of that as well.

roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:20 am
@glitterbag,
You missed one, unless the systems have changed in the past few years. If you press one or two as instructed, you are actually dialing a phone number. If that number happens to have a 9xx area code, your next phone might include a surprising charge. Of course, never dial a 9xx area code.

I used to get calls from Rachael from card member services telling me there is no problem with my account at this time. I think they fired the poor girl. Now it's a male voice. Far as I'm concerned, it's Rachael or nobody.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 02:36 am
@roger,
I am all in for Rachael.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 05:32 am
3 in a row the other day, telling me my SSN is being used for crimes and I need to call so I can turn myself in, otherwise my SSN will be suspended.

It doesn't work that way, folks. Your SSN is your ID number. It can't be "suspended".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:30 am
They never call me.

As if I didn't have self-esteem issues already.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:26 am
@glitterbag,
When I moved house I got a new phone number, and so far, touch wood, I've not got any more of those calls.

I used to get a lot claiming to be from British Telecom who still provide the majority of land lines but not mine.

One thing that stood out was they all had very English names and very strong Indian accents. When I got one I used to use them therapeutically as a means to get rid of my frustration with the world by screaming all manner of abuse at them. It was amazing how long they'd stay on the phone to listen to all this ****.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:35 am
@glitterbag,
One way they've evolved is by hacking into your computer while phoning you. There was someone who got a call claiming to be from a bank so they called the bank only to be told that he knew they were contacting his colleague and he was genuine.

He was being watched on the camera on his computer. He lost a lot of money.

If your computer has a camera, put something in front of it when you're not skyping.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 09:42 am

we only answer calls from phone numbers we recognize...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 04:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Another scam arrived on the scene recently. In this one, scammers call from a number nearly identical to that of the Social Security Administration. Similar to the common money grabbing scams, they tell the person to buy phone cards or other cards and then .read off the numbers on the cards. That of course is so the scammer can then convert and cash in the cards. Many have fallen for it.

I figure if the SSA wants to contact me, they'll send a letter and darned sure they would not tell me to go and buy these cards.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 04:30 pm
For a time I was getting several calls daily. Not recognizing the number, I didn't answer.

But these crooks are dedicated and leave a message with a call back number.

It turns out there is (according to them), "a warrant" out on me which will "lead to" my arrest!

On the average day there were warrants from 3 states.
Heavens to Betsy, what a predicament! What should I do? Erase the message, do not respond.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:30 pm
Hey, I've got a question on something similar call. It shows it is coming from my phone number and my name. Never a message. It's been going on for awhile. Should I look for problems, and maybe change the number?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 06:45 pm
@roger,
I've gotten a few of those calls, it showed up with mr. g'bags name and our landline number. I answered it the first time I saw it (out of curiosity) and it was one of the fake computer help people.

The thieves put a lot of effort in to these scams.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 12:53 pm
@glitterbag,
You have to wonder what other calls they are making while using your name and number
0 Replies

jayden77

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:39 am
@glitterbag,
Well, I think I have already sick of receiving these calls. Few years ago, I got at least 3 daily calls from those scammers every single day. I prefer to ignore those calls now, though.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2019 12:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

They never call me.

As if I didn't have self-esteem issues already.

Would you like me to send you the phone number of the imaginary computer company that wishes to send me a refund because they are going out of business???
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:56 pm
@glitterbag,
Just an update: Today I received 13 (count em) 13 bogus phone calls. Most were recordings offering rewards for paying my bills on time, but at least 3 were notifications that I was due a refund for 'something', one caller said I was due $299, another said $399 and one more was willing to offer me $499.

One of the callers started his spiel and told me to right down an 'authorization' number and so I told him my computer was at my neighbor's house and it would take me at lest 30 minutes to get it. He gave me a call back number, (I assume he thought I would hustle out right away so I could help him fleece me.......I told him I needed some information from him first then asked him for his SSN, he gave me a number but it bogus, then I asked him fore his drivers license number but he said he didn't have one...we argued a little about how somebody could live in California and NOT drive.....but he was getting annoyed so I let him go thru another exhausting explanation of what he wanted to do for me.......then I started to make soft sleeping noises. He went nuts, he started screaming "What are you doing?" So I said 'Hello' 'hello', he said 'what are you doing???' So I told him "Oh sorry, I just got out of the hospital and I'm on heavy medication".

We danced a little more until he started to yell, and I told him I refuse to deal with rude clerks, I would report him to management then I hung up.

I'm retired, if they are going to intrude on my time AND use my phone to try and steal from me.....I'm going to amuse myself for awhile.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 10:23 pm
@glitterbag,
You know, back when I was working, I received several calls from possibly the richest man in the local oil business. He always and immediately identified himself by name and company and told me who he wanted to talk to. This is my standard for evaluating calls that I bother to answer.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 10:38 pm
@roger,
I'm under no illusions regarding these phone calls, I know they are scammers and most of the time I just hang up. What's irritating is listening to the phone ring 4 times before the call goes to voice mail. Every so often I indulge in a little acting with the scammers just to waste their time. Plus you never know when one of the calls might be a 'hello grandma or hello grandpa' call. I love the grandma calls, in fact I got another one just this past Friday. Young man trying to sound as pathetic as possible telling me about the trouble he's in, but he only trusts me and wants it to be just between the two of us. It's been the same scenario each time, fake grandson is in 'another State' attending a wedding, gets in car accident, gets arrested, and needs money. This time I asked him if I should call his brother the lawyer, he protests because he wants to do this hush hush. That particular day I didn't have a lot of time so I just said, 'Don't be silly, stay right where you are and I'll call your brother and then call you back at this number. Hung up the phone. I've had 3 grandma calls, and mr. g'bag has only had 2....he doesn't find them as entertaining as I do.
roger

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 11:14 pm
@glitterbag,
Funny, I've never had a grandson call. Maybe I'm on the 'tightwad' list of fake charities. Today, I got two final opportunities to verify my cancer screening eligibility. That seems to be the big one around here. They rounded up the day with a call from deputy sheriff's association. I was busy and didn't pick up.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 11:26 pm
@roger,
The charities are allowed to call for the FOP (fraternal Order of Police) Injured firefighters and the families .........I haven't contributed for several years since they joined up with a bunch of like groups....they didn't do anything wrong, I just wanted to support the closest group that supports my neighborhood.
0 Replies