What to do if a company is scamming me out of money? How do I deal with this?

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 02:54 pm
(TLDR on bottom)
I've been trying to get money owed to me from a company for close to a year now, and I still haven't seen a cent. At this point I really don't know what to do, and I'm fully convinced the entire company is just a scam with no intent to pay me.

I started working with this company about 9-10 months ago. It claimed to pay you for essientailly designing and selling T-shirts and stickers. It said that you would just have to handle the disgn and marketing, and they would do the production and shipping, which sounded good to me. I made around 10 designs over the course of 5-6 months, even paid for a few ads, and sold enough to make about $100. Not a ton, but enough to make me really want that money and not just let it go.(Also, I'm a teen, so it's kind of a lot to me.)

My Mom bought one of the designs from me, so I know the shirts and stickers actually shipped to costumers, I just never made any money.

After the 5-6 months or so, I tried to transfer the money to my bank account, but this is where I had problems. When I put in my banking information and pressed submit, nothing would happen. I'd wait "5-7 buisness days" like they said, and nothing at all would go into my account. I tried 3 or 4 times, then eventually went to my bank to make sure I was doing everything right. I was.

I emailed the company, and got a response saying to use a specific link they sent me to input my bank information. I tried that link but nothing changed, and a week later I still got no money.

I've emailed them again 3 times sense then, and still have no response at all. It's been over 2 months of hearing absolutely nothing on their end.

Obviously, I'm extremely frustrated and want the money they owe me. What should I do? Is there a way you think I can get the $100 or at least report the comapny? I'm young so I honestly have no idea where to start.

Thanks

(TLDR: I should have made $100 selling t-shirts with an online company. They haven't payed me after months of trying to contact them. I think they're scamming me and don't know what to do.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,224 • Replies: 15
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 03:25 pm
@Kayster ,
If they're local (or at least American), you may want to try the local news. Seriously! They virtually always have a consumer affairs reporter.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:21 pm
@Kayster ,
Have you tried to contact them by phone?

Also look them up with the better business bureau and file a complaint. Detail what happened including the times you tried to reach them with their responses and for nonresponses.
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:57 pm
@Kayster ,
What do your parents have to say about this?
Kayster

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 07:52 pm
@Mame,
My Mom also emailed the company when I told her about it,and got no response.
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 07:53 pm
@jespah,
How do I go about contacting a news company? Just go on their website?
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 07:56 pm
@Linkat,
I don't see a phone number for them anywhere on the webiste, I'm not sure that's an option.

Not sure how to go about a BBB report, how do I start?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 08:49 pm
@Kayster ,
The BBB has a website, and you can log in there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 09:56 pm
@Kayster ,
Kayster wrote:

I don't see a phone number for them anywhere on the webiste, I'm not sure that's an option.

Not sure how to go about a BBB report, how do I start?

Like glitter says pull up the BBB website and search for the company name..do you have a physical address ? I don't think you necessarily need it to find them on BBB but if there are similar company names it might help.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 06:20 am
@Kayster ,
Kayster wrote:
I emailed the company, and got a response saying to use a specific link they sent me to input my bank information. I tried that link but nothing changed, and a week later I still got no money.

Close your bank account immediately. This is a phishing scam. Not only are you out of your designs and the money you think you made by "selling" them as an NFT, you could also have your bank account wiped out.

Report it to your bank to see if they're trying to withdraw any amount you didn't authorize.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 10:31 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Kayster wrote:

Close your bank account immediately. This is a phishing scam. Not only are you out of your designs and the money you think you made by "selling" them as an NFT, you could also have your bank account wiped out.

Report it to your bank to see if they're trying to withdraw any amount you didn't authorize.

True the bank may be able to dispute this for you. I know we were having an issue with a company that kept dragging its legs to give my daughter a credit on something that was ordered that they ran out of - they said they would give her a credit to her account, but it was taking many phone calls and months - we finally reached out to the bank - their fraud department and they handled - funny we quickly got the credit after that. And in this case it was not really fraud just incompetency on the company's side.
Kayster

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 12:15 pm
@neptuneblue,
I did tell my bank about what happened, and they're aware of the website name to watch out for it. I have my account set up with an ID needed to withdraw from it (I think that's just the automatic standard at my bank), so I don't think they should be able to get in without my ID or one of my parent's. I've shut down all sales obviously so they can't make any more moeny from my designs .
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 12:17 pm
@Linkat,
Okay, maybe I can do that. I'm not really sure how to try to open a dispute with my bank, but I'm sure my parents could help.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 02:50 pm
@Kayster ,
If your you call them someone should direct you to the right department.. it may or may not work but at least you should give it a try
0 Replies

edbdg

Reply Tue 30 May, 2023 05:59 am
oh this is so terrible
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2023 12:15 pm
@Kayster ,
Kayster wrote:

Okay, maybe I can do that. I'm not really sure how to try to open a dispute with my bank, but I'm sure my parents could help.

Call or go to a local bank branch.

If a credit card was involved, call the respective toll free number.

BBB is Googleable.
File a BBB Complaint
0 Replies