Woman Loses $400,000 To Nigerian Email Scam

Zippo

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:55 am
Why did this woman, a reverend and a nurse, give over $400,000 to Nigerian email scammers? It started with just $100. The emails told her a long-lost relative with the same last name had $20.5 million caught up in the banks of Nigeria. Janella Spears just had to help with a few processing fees...

As she sent the money, more and more obstacles would arise, each needing more money to solve. Driven by blind greed, she sent over $400,000 to the scammers, draining her and her husband's savings, retirement fund, mortgaged the house and put a lien on the car.

http://consumerist.com/5087211/woman-loses-400000-to-nigerian-email-scam
================

Exactly how many retarded people are living in the States?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,496 • Replies: 10
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:01 pm
I bet she voted for the winning candidate in the last election.
parados

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Maybe she finally did come to her senses by election time.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,453125,00.html
Quote:
The scammers sent Spears official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and the United Nations. President Bush and FBI Director Robert Mueller were also involved, the e-mails said, and needed her help.
Zippo

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 12:30 pm
@parados,
ha ha! so she was a Bush supporter ? Smile

Now its understandable!

Have any ak2'ers ever been scammed? Aside from the millions who previously voted for Bush TWICE!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 01:51 pm
@Zippo,
A couple that moved into the apartments got scammed that way just before coming here. Not for that amount, but it was substantial enough to cripple their ability to pay for things.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:46 pm
@Zippo,
Sadly, a fool and his money are soon parted.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 02:49 pm
@rosborne979,
On the back of a local Yellow cab (they paint stupid messages on their cabs):
A Fool and His Money Are Soon Partying
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:38 pm
There was a feature on these scams on NPR tonight. It seems there's an effort being made to crack down on these scammers, most of whom are actually located in Nigeria. But most of the Africans interviewed laughed. They seem to believe that anyone stupid enough to fall for this deserve what they get. Much as I feel sympathy for anyone who loses substantial sums, I tend to agree -- how dumb does a person have to be to take this stuff seriously? I've gotten my share of e-mail come-ons claiming I could be a millionaire in short order. I usually just ****-can them without reading all the way through, or, if I'm feeling very virtuous, report them as spam to my ISP. Does anyone with an IQ above the double digits take this crap seriously? Apparently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:44 pm
I just remembered this. A guy I used to work with bought himself a new computer - his family's first. After a few weeks of using it, his wife excitedly told me she had a rich relative and was coming into some big money. I told her husband to not let her get scammed like that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 05:51 pm
@parados,
Quote:

Maybe she finally did come to her senses by election time.

Talk about psychotic detachment from reality:
if she thought that W was conspiring with the Bank of Niggeria,
the United Nations and the Director of the FBI;
(as if he needed that piddley little cash).
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2008 06:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
hmmm...

All I know is that if I'd seen anything on paper purpoting to be from George W., I'd have known immediately it was a scam. Especially if it was on undeniably genuine White House stationery.
0 Replies