Lets discuss phone scams and how they evolve

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 02:37 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
What's irritating is listening to the phone ring 4 times before the call goes to voice mail.
same here, so we got something called NoMoRobo.

it doesn't completely block unwanted calls, but it recognizes and cuts them off after only one ring... better than nothing...
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 11:01 pm
@Region Philbis,
Lately I've been getting the "this is an apology call" hahahahhahahahahahaha, I usually hang up about there.....but I'm thinking..maaybeee it would be fun to punch #1 or #2 and then play a recording of Connie Francis singing 'who's sorry now'.......I hope Ragman sees this....I doff my chapeau
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2019 11:41 pm
I've had more such calls than normal today. I rarely answer my phone. Yesterday I was unable to see who was calling, so I answered. When she said my full name instead of the one I go by I just told her, He's not here. She said a couple of things but I just kept repeating, He's not here. Then we hung up. Next time one asks for me that way I will ask, Are coming to his funeral this afternoon?
roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:07 am
@glitterbag,
Used to be, some of those buttons dialed a 9xx number. Don't ever call any number with an area code that starts with a 9. I don't know if that practice has been limited, or not.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 12:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I've had more such calls than normal today. I rarely answer my phone. Yesterday I was unable to see who was calling, so I answered. When she said my full name instead of the one I go by I just told her, He's not here. She said a couple of things but I just kept repeating, He's not here. Then we hung up. Next time one asks for me that way I will ask, Are coming to his funeral this afternoon?

I'm loving it.....ask them if they received their summons to appear as a material witness.....then tell them they could be detained until the trial is concluded.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 04:07 am
@glitterbag,

next time i'm really bored and get one of these, i'm going to answer with

"this call is being recorded..."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 03:29 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Don't ever call any number with an area code that starts with a 9.

Not entirely true. Westchester County, just above NYC has had 914 as an area code for decades. Alaska is 907. There are many more that start with the 9... Including my cellphone.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2019 03:57 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Used to be, some of those buttons dialed a 9xx number. Don't ever call any number with an area code that starts with a 9. I don't know if that practice has been limited, or not.

My area code starts with a 9. But yeah, you don't ever want to call me.
0 Replies