The Disrespect For Life

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:08 am
Once the process of disrespect for life is allowed to start, it continues under its own momentum. I wonder what fraction of the people who wanted Terri Schiavo killed for her own good, secretly just didn't feel any empathy.
What is our society coming to, that we produce people who find other peoples' tragedy so funny?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49726&highlight=
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,369 • Replies: 112
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:20 am
Quote:
What is our society coming to, that we produce people who find other peoples' tragedy so funny?

Brandon- The tragedy was that the Schindlers did not have the emotional wherewithal to let go of a daughter, who had become nothing more than a shell, no longer a human being. Had the tube been removed when her next of kin, Michael, ordered it, all this could have been avoided.

It was the Schindlers who turned their daughter's plight into a circus.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Brandon- The tragedy was that the Schindlers did not have the emotional wherewithal to let go of a daughter, who had become nothing more than a shell, no longer a human being. Had the tube been removed when her next of kin, Michael, ordered it, all this could have been avoided.

It was the Schindlers who turned their daughter's plight into a circus.

I'm sure that if the Schindler's had been allowed to have their, way, she would just have been quietly allowed to live. And the devaluation of life in our society which has resulted in an individual who merely thinks it's funny, Phoenix?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Brandon- The entire situation was absurd. I have, on this forum, posited the question of what is a HUMAN life. To me, a shell of what once was a person, without a bit of cognition, even though it's heart is beating, and its lungs are working, is not a human being, and IMO should not have the rights of one.

Quote:
I'm sure that if the Schindlers had been allowed to have their, way, she would just have been quietly allowed to live.

Legally, the Schindlers were NOT Terri's next of kin. Michael Schiavo was. Period.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
The devaluation of life, I'm sure, did not start with Terri, the Schindlers or Michael.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Brandon- The entire situation was absurd. I have, on this forum, posited the question of what is a HUMAN life. To me, a shell of what once was a person, without a bit of cognition, even though it's heart is beating, and its lungs are working, is not a human being, and IMO should not have the rights of one.

Quote:
I'm sure that if the Schindlers had been allowed to have their, way, she would just have been quietly allowed to live.

Legally, the Schindlers were NOT Terri's next of kin. Michael Schiavo was. Period.

And Hitler was the legally elected Chancellor of Germany - period. Your blind respect for law is touching. You have consistently failed to address the actual point that I am making in this thread. This recent posting in the Humor area shows that disrespect for life breeds more of the same. What is society coming to that making fun of other peoples tragedy and pain is considered alright?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
Ah yes, and the "Right to Life" crowd devalue the lives of pregnant teenagers, who might have avoided pregnancy if the same crowd didn't also oppose sex education. The have no further interest in either the mother or child so long as their goal is acheived--after all life is cheap. Millions of the self-righteous in this country have devalued the lives of tens of thousands of Iraqis and thousands of Afghans--and pay no attention to the loss of life among Russians, Chechens, Ingush, Sumatrans, Thais . . . the list goes on an on.

O Tempore, o mores . . . the contention that society is degenerating due to a lack of moral purity is as old as the concept of society . . .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
In the referenced thread, Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that the site IS gross, but for many, may be a tensional outlet. For months now, everywhere you turned, you were faced with the picture of that empty, shell, looking at nothing.

After awhile, I found that after having that picture being foisted on me so many times on TV, and in the newspapers, I reacted to it with hostility, rather than compassion. It made me realize the disgusting political game that was being played out in the media, with Terri's unfeeling, unthinking body as its figurehead.

Says it all, really.

Nobody would have felt the urge or need to make light of someone's individual suffering - of Terri's, Michael's or Terri's parents' private suffering - if that had been all there was.

Instead, there was political hysteria and a veritable media frenzy, which clamored a soap series/reality-TV style sequence of he said-she said's, amplified through the propaganda channels of various political currents that wanted to make hay of the case.

As with any case where political racketeers foist the mediatized exploitation of an individual's case onto the general public relentlessly and hysterically, with ever wilder conspiracy theories peddled by groups pressing for ever more disproportional attacks on the rule of law, eventually people get desensitized to the suffering of the individual in question and start reacting, in anger and incredulity at this nonsense thats suddenly just everywhere on TV, in the papers and the net, to the hysteria surrounding it.

It's a paradoxical cycle we as audience keep ourselves in. The media creates hypes such as that about OJ, Michael Jackson or Terri Schiavo because they know we will tune in, which means they can make extra money. The politicians dive into said hypes because they know that such hyper-personalised narratives attract our attention and passion much better than abstract talk about the economy. But at the same time these hypes are so surreal that in the end, we need to find a way to distance ourselves from it in order to retain our sanity.

Cracking jokes, for one, is a logical way for people to deal with their exasperation and incredulity about it all. Not about Terri's fate itself, but about the crazied true believers praying (or preying?) outside Michael's home, about the President flying in especially to DC to enact legislation when for most foreign policy crises he cant be bothered to, about a myriad of websites peddling the most incredible theories about the evil of this one citizen - just another person like any of us - who had the misfortune of suddenly being elevated into poster child status, about a Congress full of opportunists whipping the subject up, about the whole sick, burlesque circus around it. Its just another version of muttering Oh for Chrissakes under one's breath.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:47 am
nimh- Exactly!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
Brandon buddy give it up. She's dead. In heaven probably. the autopsy reports no sign of foul play.
There's a bunch of other things to be concerned about.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:21 am
In the last few minutes I murdered several million forms of life as vicious killers acting on instinct swept through my bloodstream absorbing the fluu virus that is currently fighting a losing war with my body.

Unless you wish to mourn these viruses and condemn me for their murder I'm afraid you'll have to concede that there is a line drawn at which point we cease to value and appreciate life. When you draw such a line it becomes much harder to condemn others for drawing the line elsewhere.

I have zero respect for Shiavo's life, none whatsoever. So far as I'm concerned she's as valueless as the fluu cells that my body is currently eradicating. My sympathies are with the family and friends for the original occurance that put her in that situation.

Her body was simply a warm doll, I have no objections to it being cooled down.

(Yes, I appreciate that viruses do not necessarily count as life but I'm not going to contract a bacterial infection just for literary accuracy).
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:37 am
Relax Brandon,

I completely agree that the site you are complaining about is in very bad taste. I believe that most people who supported Michael Schiavo would agree with you.

But aren't you being a bit extreme?

This was a very contentious issue with strong emotions on both sides...

But the United States is nothing like Nazi Germany and society is not crumbling. We bumbled through this issue like so many others in the past... and life goes on.

When Nazi Germany is invoked in political debate, it is a sure sign that the rhetoric has lost all rationality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
I was going to put in my two cents, but plenty of sane voices have said all that need be said. Get over it, dude.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Brandon buddy give it up. She's dead. In heaven probably. the autopsy reports no sign of foul play.
There's a bunch of other things to be concerned about.

It should be apparent that this thread is not about Terri Schiavo specifically. It's about what happens when you plant the seeds of disrespect for life in a society.

Wasn't there a case in the news, almost instantly after the TS story, in which some next of kin and legal guardian took her grandmother off her feeding tube with court approval, despite the fact that she was conscious and not dying? Maybe I or someone else will find a link.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
ebrown_p wrote:
But the United States is nothing like Nazi Germany and society is not crumbling. We bumbled through this issue like so many others in the past... and life goes on.

When Nazi Germany is invoked in political debate, it is a sure sign that the rhetoric has lost all rationality.

If I had been making a blanket comparison, you would be right. However, the only parallel I was drawing was the single point that often things are legal that are not moral.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:03 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I was going to put in my two cents, but plenty of sane voices have said all that need be said. Get over it, dude.

It really should be very obvious that this thread was not intended to be simply about the TS case, although I can understand why some people want very much to restrict the discussion to that. It was intended to raise the general topic about whether our culture is promoting a respect for life, or moving towards the opposite. I think that the existence of the link I started the thread with on the Humor board is not an encouraging sign. At a minimum, it shows quite a lack of empathy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
Once the process of disrespect for life is allowed to start, it continues under its own momentum. I wonder what fraction of the people who wanted Terri Schiavo killed for her own good

I think this statement in and of itself shows how little you really know about life, in spite of all your claims to the contrary.

For thousands of years when an adult couldn't chew and swallow food they died. The recent disrespect seems to come from forcing them to stay alive in any way possible.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:14 am
parados wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Quote:
Once the process of disrespect for life is allowed to start, it continues under its own momentum. I wonder what fraction of the people who wanted Terri Schiavo killed for her own good

I think this statement in and of itself shows how little you really know about life, in spite of all your claims to the contrary.

For thousands of years when an adult couldn't chew and swallow food they died. The recent disrespect seems to come from forcing them to stay alive in any way possible.

Oh, yes, I'm sure that the person who posted the link to the mocking Terri Schiavo dance was one of those who campaigned tirelessly for her to be allowed to have food and water.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:20 am
OMG LIFE SUX
M I RITE?!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
I think squinney covered the question of the disrespect of human life thing quite deftly. Schiavo was merely a symptom, one of thousands. Just so happens this particular symptom was pushed forward to advance political power and sell newspapers.

The ironic thing of course is that the people responsible for pushing her case to the forefront and stirring so many feelings in people are the very ones to whom Terri Schiavo meant not one goddam thing except as a pr tool.
0 Replies