The Disrespect For Life

smog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
I'm just saying that while the original poster may not have earned much respect in your mind, hopefully the responses there should serve to make you a bit more optimistic about the current morals of Americans.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:33 am
smog wrote:
I'm just saying that while the original poster may not have earned much respect in your mind, hopefully the responses there should serve to make you a bit more optimistic about the current morals of Americans.

Well, thanks, but, unfortunately, much of what I saw there was simply an attempt to put a pretty face on what was contemptible.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:34 am
McGentrix wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many people here that sided with the death of Terri Shiavo also support the death penalty?

Put me in the, 'It was none of our business.' camp re: Terri and in the BVT camp re: the death penalty. I'm very much pro-choice and pro-gun-control, particularly when it comes to assault rifles in the hands of citizens.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
smog wrote:

Well, thanks, but, unfortunately, much of what I saw there was simply an attempt to put a pretty face on what was contemptible.

That makes me sad. Sad
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:38 am
Ok, I just can't resist...

Quote:
in the case of TS, the medical condition that produced death was "life" and the need for food and water

How can I argue with someone that thinks that "life" is a medical condition?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
parados wrote:
Ok, I just can't resist...

Quote:
in the case of TS, the medical condition that produced death was "life" and the need for food and water

How can I argue with someone that thinks that "life" is a medical condition?

You have a tendency to zero in on one rather irrelevant portion of a post that you think contains an exploitable flaw, when you find yourself unable to address the general meaning that the poster was conveying.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
I agree, smog.

Brandon, given that not one responder considered it funny and the discussion turned to one of concern for the feelings of others, I don't see how you draw your conclusion about the responses. How was it being made pretty?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:51 am
J_B wrote:
I agree, smog.

Brandon, given that not one responder considered it funny and the discussion turned to one of concern for the feelings of others, I don't see how you draw your conclusion about the responses. How was it being made pretty?

The people who created the Schiavo dance material and the people who posted amused reactions on that thread were doing something very contemptible. Others then attempted to beautify these actions in the garb of blowing off steam, coping with one's own fear of mortality, etc. I believe that the correct explanation is a lot simpler - a contemptible lack of empathy.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
There were, like, a billion "Oh my, that is horrible and disgusting!" posts...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:02 pm
Brandon, I don't find much of the stuff on the humor forum very funny. Do you expect people to jump in on every thread that they don't find funny on a humor forum and say, "That's not funny, it shows a lack of empathy." If you look through most of those threads you can find a lack of empathy if that's what you're looking for.

There was nothing funny about Terri's situation, but unfortunately it did become a farce and some people find humor in that. What's funny to you, isn't at all funny to me, but that's perfectly ok.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:03 pm
J_B wrote:
...What's funny to you, isn't at all funny to me, but that's perfectly ok.

Call me crazy, but I feel that making fun of a brain damaged girl who died shouldn't be funny to anyone,
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
I really have to wonder when you consider the medical condition to be irrelevent.

Brandon wrote:

Quote:

In one case you are stopping treament from a person so that his/her medical condition produces death, in the case of TS, the medical condition that produced death was "life" and the need for food and water. Since they both witheld food and prevented others from giving it to her, "killing" is a perfectly reasonable description.

What evidence do you have that Terri's condition allowed her to eat and swallow food? Or that she could drink water even through a straw? You ignore those facts because it is inconvenient to your argument. My point was and continues to be that you change meanings and ignore facts that don't fit into your world.

Terri was being treated because part of her medical ailment was she was UNABLE to eat. The medical treatment was stopped. You can ignore that all you want. I pointed out that you think "Life" was her medical condition since you ignore what she was really suffering from and fail to address it in your statement.

I can respond for weeks and you will keep spinning the same fantastical tales of her condition wasn't serious and the only thing she needed was food put in her mouth. (I was going to use an old saw in referring to what it was like to discuss anything with you but you would concentrate on that and ignore the rest of my statement.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:18 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
J_B wrote:
...What's funny to you, isn't at all funny to me, but that's perfectly ok.

Call me crazy, but I feel that making fun of a brain damaged girl who died shouldn't be funny to anyone,

I totally agree, but it's not up to you or me to be the humor police for humanity. I don't think it's funny, neither do you, and neither does anyone else at A2K, so far.

Just because there are some out there with a sick sense of humor (IMHO) doesn't mean that society is going to hell in a handbasket. There was always been a difference of opinion about what's funny. My husband loves to watch The Three Stooges, I think hurting some one for a laugh is sick. We differ. He watches, I don't. He doesn't hurt me or anyone else for humor, or for any other reason, so finding something funny doesn't define his character.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:22 pm
parados wrote:
I really have to wonder when you consider the medical condition to be irrelevent.

Brandon wrote:

Quote:

In one case you are stopping treament from a person so that his/her medical condition produces death, in the case of TS, the medical condition that produced death was "life" and the need for food and water. Since they both witheld food and prevented others from giving it to her, "killing" is a perfectly reasonable description.

What evidence do you have that Terri's condition allowed her to eat and swallow food? Or that she could drink water even through a straw? You ignore those facts because it is inconvenient to your argument. My point was and continues to be that you change meanings and ignore facts that don't fit into your world.

Terri was being treated because part of her medical ailment was she was UNABLE to eat. The medical treatment was stopped. You can ignore that all you want. I pointed out that you think "Life" was her medical condition since you ignore what she was really suffering from and fail to address it in your statement.

parados wrote:
I can respond for weeks and you will keep spinning the same fantastical tales of her condition wasn't serious and the only thing she needed was food put in her mouth.

I defy you to find any post of mine in which I said this.

parados wrote:
...(I was going to use an old saw in referring to what it was like to discuss anything with you but you would concentrate on that and ignore the rest of my statement.)

Let's not go off on a lot of other tangents, since that only serves to help you disguise that you cannot defend what you said. You responded to my post and said that my statements that she wasn't allowed food and that she was killed were false. You have not proven any such thing, and my usage is within the normal scope of those terms.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
J_B wrote:
...There was always been a difference of opinion about what's funny. My husband loves to watch The Three Stooges, I think hurting some one for a laugh is sick. We differ. He watches, I don't. He doesn't hurt me or anyone else for humor, or for any other reason, so finding something funny doesn't define his character.

It sounds like you're saying that there are no real standards of behavior that should be adhered to. I say that making fun of a brain damaged girl who died isn't on the level of "different strokes for different folks," but is simply contemptible and should be treated as such. I also think it's clear that the person who posted it did so, simply because he found it amusing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:37 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
J_B wrote:
...There was always been a difference of opinion about what's funny. My husband loves to watch The Three Stooges, I think hurting some one for a laugh is sick. We differ. He watches, I don't. He doesn't hurt me or anyone else for humor, or for any other reason, so finding something funny doesn't define his character.

It sounds like you're saying that there are no real standards of behavior that should be adhered to. I say that making fun of a brain damaged girl who died isn't on the level of "different strokes for different folks," but is simply contemptible and should be treated as such. I also think it's clear that the person who posted it did so, simply because he found it amusing.

No, I'm saying that the majority of the people will agree with you that there's nothing funny about it and won't even look at it (I didn't and have no intention of doing so). That's what most of the thread on 'HUMOR' is about. I am in complete agreement with you that it is tasteless, but that is our opinion and we're entitled to it. Each of us can determine that there's nothing funny about this, but just because it's out there doesn't mean that there is a general lack of empathy in society.

I'm not sure whether the original poster found the site humorous or not. If he did, that's his prerogative. He chose to share it and the consensus has been that it's not funny. So, from an A2K responders standpoint, it is being treated as contemptible or in poor taste at the least.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
Brandon,

What IS laughter? What IS humor?

Give a good definition of the two of those, and their causes, and you'll see why there really is NO inapporiate topic for jokes at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon,

What IS laughter? What IS humor?

Give a good definition of the two of those, and their causes, and you'll see why there really is NO inapporiate topic for jokes at all.

Cycloptichorn

I disagree. When I was very young, some people told me that making fun of other peoples' tragedy was contemptible behavior, and I believe that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
Why do I picture Brandon tied to a piano leg while a woman in a black dress screams"Don't make fun of other peoples tragedies or I'll get the buttonhook!!!! And hold your water!!!!" Laughing
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:25 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
J_B wrote:

I didn't find the website funny.
That being said, I can't find the humor in the relentless media prodding of Michael Jackson...or the brave soldiers humiliating Iraqis in Abu Ghraib.
Apparently, some people do find this funny. There were several people photographed on that site which leads me to believe they shared a common sentiment.
Different strokes for different folks....just like individual views on abortion, religion, euthanasia, politics etc. etc. etc.
So it's not your cup of tea. Move on.
That you suggest there either are or should be real standards of behavior one should adhere to, take a look at what's going on from the leader of your country down. Following standards is clearly passe.
0 Replies