Do the Schiavo (Pics of people doing her)

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:34 am
I am neither a journalist, activist or politician, but I was outraged (still am) and it seems that not many have any regard for the feelings of those who don't happen to agree with you.
The only use this thread has is to cause more outrage and pain.
Why can't people just let the poor woman rest in peace and let her family mourn?
This is not just a slap in the face to Terri and her family, but to all those people out there who are handicap along with all the people who care about them.
My cousins 19 year old was born a normal child and was normal until he was 8 years old when he got the disease that is slowly killing him. The boy that use to run around outside with the rest of the kids has this killing disease that is slowly eating away at his nervous system. The boy that is bound to a wheelchair, can't eat on his own, bath himself, or even go to the bathroom himself. The very young 19 year old boy that will die shortly and people make fun of him!
If my cousin (his father and mother) came here and saw this, they would be in tears. Like they don't cry enough tears for their dying son every single day!
I don't know how anyone can make light of something so very tragic!

My new word of the day is "insensative"!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:44 am
Montana- With what is going in in your family, I can cartainly understand your distress about the site. But I absolutely agree with nimh. I don't believe that people were making fun of the shell that once was Terri.

IMO, the people who contributed to the site were using humor to let off steam. This case touched EVERYONE in some way. It made people realize that the government has gone much too far in its invasion of the privacy rights of people. That picture should have been seen by no one but the family and friends of Terri, but it was made the centerpiece of a disgusting media circus.

How many of us now believe, in our heart of hearts, that someday, the way things are going, that the same kind of atrocity, complete with media coverage, could happen to someone that WE love? Or even us?

Is the site a reaction to Terri, or the deep fear that is within all of us? Is the gross humor meant to allay those anxieties?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:56 am
Well, I think it's a very cruel way for people to express themselves. There's nothing funny about this and it crosses a line in a horrible way. That site has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with people who are very thoughtless and cruel.
To say that these people are acting out of anxieties doesn't make any sense to me.
People who make fun of people who are in these tragic situations are nothing more than heartless bullies.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:01 am
Montana- Terri is dead. Whom are these people hurting?

I wrote a new thread that came out of this one.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49782
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:09 am
They are hurting everyone who cared about her and everyone who has loved ones in similar situations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
Montana wrote:
They are hurting everyone who cared about her and everyone who has loved ones in similar situations.

The people who "cared about her", the Schindlers, were the ones who released the picture!!!!!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:20 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana wrote:

The people who "cared about her", the Schindlers, were the ones who released the picture!!!!!

Did they do so with the intention of starting a joke about a dance named after her?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:27 am
Brandon- Maybe the Schindlers did not understand the ramifications of what they were doing by releasing the picture. Once the media got a hold of it, it was way out of their control. They probably thought that they could use the picture to gain sympathy for their cause, but it flew right back in their faces.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:11 am
squinney wrote:
Not deeply offended, but I do find it in poor taste. She was a person, and at the point in her life being made fun of, was not in control of how her image was used. That was equally unsettling.

I am now changing channels.

Poor taste yes...but like you I am just going to move on down the road....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:34 am
This thing (Schiavo case) is a damned tarbaby!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:39 am
dlowan- It would be interesting to attempt to understand why it is so difficult for people (incuding me) to extricate themselves from this entire situation. People are living in PVS, and others have had their tubes pulled, all the time. People are dying daily. (Remember the tsunami, that killed so many?)

What IS it about this case that has caught the imagination of many people, almost to the point of obsession?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:57 am
It's amazing, to be sure.

Maybe something about the primal fear we all have about ending up like that?

I've worked with a lot of disabled people -- at one job, about 75% of the staff was disabled. Quadraplegics, cerebral palsy, etc. Those people had BLACK humor. They would regularly make jokes that had me gasping and/ or blushing -- when they saw they could get a rise out of me, they made a point of going after the green TAB (temporarily-able-bodied.)

If I was still there, I can so imagine them sending me this site and then chuckling at my discomfiture.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:01 am
Quote:
Maybe something about the primal fear we all have about ending up like that?

soz- You may have something there. The thought of being alive, but totally unresponsive, is probably one of the most harrowing concepts that people face.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
Yep.

I just saw your other thread, lots of the same points there. I think it's very true though. Another (perhaps more pertinent) place that was steeped in black humor was the hospice where my mom worked for many years.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:09 am
This is what I think....

I posted the link cause after so many people posted their pics trying to "Do the Schiavo Shocked ," I figure their would be others that might have done the Schiavo themselves Shocked in their thoughts atleast. Cool

I think people "Did the Schiavo Shocked " for the purpose of "parodizing" it. If it didn't receive so much tv coverage, people wouldn't have did the Schiavo Shocked.

For instance, molesting a young kid is sick and disgusting, something that could leave a person with mental scars the rest of their lives, but Jay Leno and Letterman cracked jokes about Michael and little boys, even the net has tons of jokes about it.

We don't want to see people end up like Schiavo or kids being molestated, but pump it into our heads news day after news day, and a lot of people will transform it into something we can easier deal with, thus changing it into something humorous, like a parody. That's what I think anyways.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:47 pm
You think eloquently.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies

Justaguy

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:59 pm
Another...