Do the Schiavo (Pics of people doing her)

au1929

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
It was in extremely bad taste and offensive. I noted it had been posted in the humor category. It ain't funny McGee. IMO this thread should be locked.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:53 pm
Well if its only gonna be people bitching about it they might as well ...

Ah ... but it must be good to be able to all be righteous together, left and right united for the cause of virtue ... good for the healing process, and all that.

Sozobe - Shocked - hot damn, I wouldnt even have come up with that! Sick imagination ey Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:17 pm
Righteousness has various forms.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:54 pm
Righteousness used to be so good, back in the day. Not anymore, though; there are much better cards.

And where exactly is the wit, intelligence, or originality in making fun of someone in a coma? Oh, I'm not moving and I'm sticking out my tongue! HOW FUNNY.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:25 pm
<shrugs>

I was totally expecting something sick and unfunny - then caught myself laughing anyway. (Mostly cause of the sheer, 'good lord - lol - thats just wrong, how'd they even come up with that' value of it.)

Should I feel ashamed now? (I mean, seriously. Cm'on.)

If I hadnt laughed (like I'd expected), I woulda just shrugged and clicked on to the next thread. To each his own I suppose. I've never been much good at demonstrative expressions of indignation ... not unless its some big political cause or something.

Well, like I said, to each his own. Some get really irked at sick humour; others at collective expressions of outrage, these community expressions of virtuosity. Dont know exactly why I do - perhaps the punk in me. Makes me want to open a window or something. Not that I'm denying anyone's right to engage in them - I mean, whatever. Or even saying one should expect anything else than that if one posts something so blatantly twisted - you're gonna get people's gander up, its just a fact. Just, that, well, yawn.

Moving on ...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
Against my better judgement, I did look at the sight. After all, how could I be objective about this without seeing it. I am now extremely sorry that I let myself hit the enter button on that link. I would now like to hit the delete button.

This is insensitive at best and totally lacking any human empathy or moral fibre at worst.

I don't want to change channels, I want to cancel my cable subscription. Shame for even posting this and shame on me for even looking at it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:57 pm
Ah, yes, righteousness does have many forms, nimh.
Oh, yawn.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Ah, yes, righteousness does have many forms, nimh.
Oh, yawn.

<shrugs>
nimh wrote:
Well, like I said, to each his own. Some get really irked at sick humour; others at collective expressions of outrage, these community expressions of virtuosity.

I dont think theres been any thread around here that was in bad taste, or you in particular will eventually turn up to express your indignation about it. I just dont get it, I guess. I definitely find it as irksome as you seem to find the bad taste - and so, lo and behold, I end up commenting on it like you come to comment on the bad taste. <shrugs again>

ok now i'm off ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:29 pm
<shrugs, opens window>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:33 pm
I guess I should be clear. I think the link is tacky, and making a thread on it is tacky. I am not at all for censoring it.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:50 pm
And I just don't think that that site uses a very interesting type of humor.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:49 pm
I think this thread goes against the TOS because it is extremely tasteless, offensive, insulting to the handicap, not to mention Terrie's family and I think the thread should be removed!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:07 pm
I don't, even though nimh and I are being snotty to each other. I am sort of famous here for mounting defenses for fat unsexy unpopular dead dwarves, in something like five situations over seventeen thousand posts. On none of those occasions when I expressed consternation did I want censorship.

The only time I did have a censorship instinct was recently, when a religion thread was titled able2know and I could picture a zillion google hits for it. I got over it, a momentary censorship spasm.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:18 pm
I think this is the only time I've ever thought a thread should be pulled. I don't like censorship either, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel, in my opinion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:30 pm
Just me thinkin' on the keyboard here, but I gotta say I figure anybody offended by the link clicked the link knowin' they'd find somethin' they'd find offensive - so where's the beef? I doubt sad, sorry, and sick, trite, tasteless and tacky, inane, idiotic, and insensitive disqualifies a subject from discussion eligibility here. If such were the case, I imagine the server load would be a whole bunch lighter and nowhere near the bandwidth would be required.

For those interested, I haven't clicked the link. Not that I think it'd upset my delicate sensibilities and put me off my feed or nothin'; I just personally don't care to add to the hit count of that sorta crap, no matter where it comes from or what it pokes at. And gettin' all up in a wad over crap just adds notoriety to the crap. Its my fond hope this thread and that websight fade away out of lack of interest.

Don't worry none about me, though; I deal well with disappointment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:32 pm
Personally I don't think the thread goes over the tos edge at all. Tacky is one thing, and I insist on my room to express that, but I don't see where the content even of the described link violates the tos precisely. (At first I thought, eek, necrophilia, and am relieved not.)

I admit thinking the link might have a leavening content, in the way that black humor explodes tensions.
I can't tell, since I won't go there.

edit to say I am not sure a joke about necrophilia and the situation re Terri is something to censure either, though that would be tacky four plus.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:39 pm
timberlandko wrote:

For those interested, I haven't clicked the link...; I just personally don't care to add to the hit count of that sorta crap, no matter where it comes from ...

I agree with you Timber and I have not looked at it either. Besides which I think the controversy (not this thread) was tasteless from the beginning and I'm tired of it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:40 pm
I think it goes against the TOS simply because it is insulting the handicap and I've seen a hell of a lot of things pulled for much lesser reason.

I guess I have some things to think about!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
Montana, maybe my agitation when I got all excited about a midget/dwarf freewheeling thread will help. I didn't mind all the comments except en masse. There seemed to be no underlying empathy, not one squeak as if any one had any friend or acquaintance who is height challenged. I do, though the word friend is a real stretch, and acquaintance is a slight stretch.

I didn't want to censor all those comments, I just wanted some glimmer of understanding within the pages.

I think we all, and all subjects, can take great barrels of laughing at and about, if there is a window of
- a glimmer of - respect somewhere. I was wrong in the way I challenged the midget thumpers - I have since cottoned on to their sense of personae. Not that I shouldn't have challenged.... I should have done it with wit.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:16 pm
I just can't hold my tongue when I see people being made fun of. There's nothing good that comes from a thread such as this. All it does is hurt people!
0 Replies