Do the Schiavo (Pics of people doing her)

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:23 pm
Don't gotta hold your tongue if ya don't like somethin', Montana. And folks who wanna say stuff other folks might not like don't gotta hold their tongues either. Mosta the time, somebody sayin' somethin' we don't like has every bit as much right to say it as we have to not like it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
Well, many people with disabilities have wit and humor too, and use it to wend through life. We are not all so different and humor is a palliative when it isn't a bludgeon.
Many disabled people are not charmed by what can be taken to be condescending and distancing behavior..

Regarding this thread, who is hurt? The lady herself is dead.
The link is someone's way of laughing at what any of us may face in some version. Laughing at horror. A very human thing.

It's tacky, as I mentioned, re sensibilities, but an act with a long human history, laughing at horror.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
I agree, but all this thread does is make poke fun at the handicap and there's gotta be a line drawn somewhere.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:33 pm
My last post was for Timber.

Osso
My cousin has a 19 year old son handicap, in a wheelchair and slowly dying, so I am hurt by it along with everyone else who may know someone who is handicap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:40 pm
Y'know, Montana, it's humans railing against the dying of the light. There are different versions of doing that.

It looks like I've changed sides, no, I don't really think there are sides, just lack of understanding along the pendulum.

Tacky, I'll still go with tacky. I hear that's a southern word.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:45 pm
and my word of the day will be "despicable"! It's a Canadian word, at least today, heehee!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:46 pm
Tacky's a good word. So are ignorant, insensitive, and boorish. There's no accountin' for taste - or lack thereof.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:48 pm
Ok, so I will make it a point to add new words to this thread each and every day ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:54 pm
G'night, Montana and Timber.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
Whatever entertains ya - within the TOS, of course Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
nighty night Osso.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:57 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Whatever entertains ya - within the TOS, of course Laughing

I'll do my best not to step out of bounds, but I'm sure you'll let me know if I do ;-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:59 pm
G'night, Osso. Hey, anybody remember THIS?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:02 pm
Yup, one of the few good night threads. You tryin to distract me, timber? Twisted Evil Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:03 pm
Yeah...such a great thread I had to bump it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:03 pm
Yup Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:04 pm
I don' remember if I was there.
Hi, Panz..

ok, I will be goodnghting some time soon.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:11 pm
Hey there, Panzade :-D

Nice try, timber ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
I'm off to bed myself. I have a meeting in the morning, but I'll be back tomorrow with some new words.

night all
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:43 am
ossobuco wrote:
The link is someone's way of laughing at what any of us may face in some version. Laughing at horror. A very human thing.

It's tacky, as I mentioned, re sensibilities, but an act with a long human history, laughing at horror.

Right, exactly. That and making light of the circus that was made of Terri by all those hungry journalists, activists and politicians; a way of demonstratively/emotionally distancing oneself from the hysterical (often faked) moral outrage these past few months. Like saying, "whatever", or "oh, fer f*cksake". In bad taste, sure. But bad taste has its uses.
0 Replies