Rumsfeld: 'Iraq - we have no EXIT policy'

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
on the other hand, we could just order wal-mart to cease purchasing from the chinese and ruin their economy...

Very funny, DTOM, very funny!

Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:57 am
Quote:
I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.

Four dead in Ohio.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:16 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.

Four dead in Ohio.

but that was different, jtt. those were dirty anti-war hippes, probably so amped from shooting up some marijuana for the big free love festival that they never felt anything any way.

guess it's a good thing we have free speech zones now, huh ?

oh brother...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:46 am
Quote:
Brandon
It was foolish to have given Hussein bioweapons, although not relevant to the analysis of whether to invade now. As for supporting one bad country against another, this is not a philosophy classroom, and in the high stakes game of geopolitics, sometimes it is necessary to use what you've got. I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.

You keep going around in circles, Brandon and ignoring the facts. The USA has been one of the "bad" countries. Sad as 9-11 was, it was inevitable. The CIA said so. Numerous academics around the USA say so. Numerous sensible people know so.

As Noam Chomsky says; if you don't want to be affected by terrorism, don't engage in terrorism.

You, and many others, try to make out that the USA is one great gift to the world when in actual fact the USA has been and still is, responsible for a great deal of the suffering that goes on on this planet.

There are also many great things the USA has done. But to ignore the bad is just plain stupid [present company not included in this comment].

Truth be told, Brandon, I'm appalled at the astounding hypocrisy of a country that warmly engages "fascist dictators" [kinda got your political spectum a wee bit out of whack there] when it's convenient or there's potential wealth to be had, but then sanctimoniously, finds it "principled" [quotes canNOT illustrate how lightly I'm using that term] to bully a country that has a leader who truly cares for his people and doesn't pillage and loot the treasury.

Note how the USA has supported a lot of butchers in Latin America, leaders who stole huge sums from their treasuries but it terrorizes the ones who really want to help their own people, simply because of their political beliefs. Take this hypocrisy to its logical end and jail all the communist party members that live in the USA.

This is not the mark of someone being true to their espoused principles; it's nothing more than the sign of a big bully.

Need I point out that this is precisely the same situation with respect to Iraq. Do you think for a moment that the USA didn't know of all those years of Saddam butchery and yet they supported him, befriended him, embraced him. Confused Confused Confused

As DTonM said, "oh brother".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:24 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I believe that the intention is pretty much the same as this in Iraq, and what is being criticized is the fact that the intention is not more specific about exactly how to get out. However, just as in WW2, when one believes the stakes are high, thinking foremost of exiting is counterproductive.

What you believe is irrelevant to what the Neo Cons intend. I'm sick of promoting that bunch of right wing sickos, so i'm not going to post the link again. Anyone who wants can go read all about it at the Project for a New American Century's web site. There is no exit stategy because they do not intend for Americans to come home. They want a base in southwest Asia, and this has been planned since at least 1997. There is no sucker so big as the true believer cozened by the cynical.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:42 am
Ka-ching! Unspecified coin denomination dropping.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:48 am
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

... and I thought they were communists...

Perhaps. So what?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:55 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:

Four dead in Ohio.

If you're referring to Kent State, then it's a foolish comparison. While deplorable, it did not represent a fundamental, carefully premeditated attempt by the government, at the highest levels, to deny people first amendment rights. China is a dictatorship. We, on the other hand, elect our government.

The comparison is irrelevant anyway, since my point was that sometimes you have to hold your nose and maintain ties with dictatorhips.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
[/quote]We, on the other hand, elect our government.[/quote]

Or so we're led to believe.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:59 am
JTT wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
We, on the other hand, elect our government.

So, then, to be clear, your point is that our government is fundamentally no better than China's?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:08 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
Brandon
It was foolish to have given Hussein bioweapons, although not relevant to the analysis of whether to invade now. As for supporting one bad country against another, this is not a philosophy classroom, and in the high stakes game of geopolitics, sometimes it is necessary to use what you've got. I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.

You keep going around in circles, Brandon and ignoring the facts. The USA has been one of the "bad" countries. Sad as 9-11 was, it was inevitable. The CIA said so. Numerous academics around the USA say so. Numerous sensible people know so.

As Noam Chomsky says; if you don't want to be affected by terrorism, don't engage in terrorism.

You, and many others, try to make out that the USA is one great gift to the world when in actual fact the USA has been and still is, responsible for a great deal of the suffering that goes on on this planet.

There are also many great things the USA has done. But to ignore the bad is just plain stupid [present company not included in this comment].

Truth be told, Brandon, I'm appalled at the astounding hypocrisy of a country that warmly engages "fascist dictators" [kinda got your political spectum a wee bit out of whack there] when it's convenient or there's potential wealth to be had, but then sanctimoniously, finds it "principled" [quotes canNOT illustrate how lightly I'm using that term] to bully a country that has a leader who truly cares for his people and doesn't pillage and loot the treasury.

Note how the USA has supported a lot of butchers in Latin America, leaders who stole huge sums from their treasuries but it terrorizes the ones who really want to help their own people, simply because of their political beliefs. Take this hypocrisy to its logical end and jail all the communist party members that live in the USA.

This is not the mark of someone being true to their espoused principles; it's nothing more than the sign of a big bully.

Need I point out that this is precisely the same situation with respect to Iraq. Do you think for a moment that the USA didn't know of all those years of Saddam butchery and yet they supported him, befriended him, embraced him. Confused Confused Confused

As DTonM said, "oh brother".

Not sure quite what this rambling peroration means, but the invasion of Iraq was necessary for the simple reason that someone like Hussein could not be allowed to perfect nukes and bioweapons, not to mention the fact that he had agreed in writing to disarm providing proof that he had done so. Should Hussein have acquired thse weapons, he could easily have ordered one smuggled into an American city and used (then denied involvement), or re-invaded Kuwait and perhaps also Saudi Arabia, and dared the world to intervene again.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:08 am
Pa-lung! Unspecified coin denomination un-dropping Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:10 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
JTT wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
We, on the other hand, elect our government.

So, then, to be clear, your point is that our government is fundamentally no better than China's?

:wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:18 am
I don't know why we continue here. In thread after thread it has been pointed out to Brandon that the possession of weapons of mass destruction by Hussein was a contention of the administration, based on faulty information, which has not been borne out. We have pointed out that the administration bullied its intelligence sources for evidence. We have pointed out that Hussein was very unlikely to provide such weapons to anyone else even if he possessed them, a dubious proposition, because of the sword of Damocles hanging above his head, the reminder of which was English and American warplanes over his nation every day. We have pointed out to him time and again that the PNAC had this planned long before September 11, and that there has never been any evidence of the involvement of Hussein in that attack.

It makes no difference to Brandon. In thread after thread after thread, he trots out the same sad, shopworn excuses for the idiot Shrub and his idiot war.

Why bother?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:24 am
Practice?/practise? - I am so glad I'm bilingual at times like this.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:36 am
Setanta wrote:
I don't know why we continue here. In thread after thread it has been pointed out to Brandon that the possession of weapons of mass destruction by Hussein was a contention of the administration, based on faulty information, which has not been borne out. We have pointed out that the administration bullied its intelligence sources for evidence. We have pointed out that Hussein was very unlikely to provide such weapons to anyone else even if he possessed them, a dubious proposition, because of the sword of Damocles hanging above his head, the reminder of which was English and American warplanes over his nation every day. We have pointed out to him time and again that the PNAC had this planned long before September 11, and that there has never been any evidence of the involvement of Hussein in that attack.

It makes no difference to Brandon. In thread after thread after thread, he trots out the same sad, shopworn excuses for the idiot Shrub and his idiot war.

Why bother?

It would be my contention that the combination of just what was known history from newspapers, and the known lethality of the weapons was in itself sufficient to warrant invasion, regardless of anything the Bush administration did or didn't do. Certainly, this has nothing watever to do with 9/11. Had he been allowed to retain the weapons, Hussein might well have felt it worth it to use one in an American city or give one to terrorists, since their use would almost certainly be anonymous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
Another of your shopworn excuses.

As i said, folks, why bother?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:45 am
I could also point out that the situation will almost certainly continue to arise in the world. Many different entities will seek WMD as time passes, and there will certainly continue to be cases of more than usually dangerous dictators who posess or possesed WMD programs, the exact state of which is not well known. Should the US adopt a policy of allowing such proliferation to continue, at some point the weapons will almost certainly be used.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling ! ! !"

-- C. Little
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Call me a pollyanna. I have this wacky idea that all those decent people the Bushii sucked in are pretty soon going to work out that they were deceived, that it was just Big Corporate Money putting their puppet into the White House. And they thought they could fool all of the people all of the time? Watch out puppet and Big Corporate Money, the people might just be more than a little ticked off.
0 Replies