Rumsfeld: 'Iraq - we have no EXIT policy'

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:48 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
If the USA is still in Iraq two years after defeating a totally inferior force and capturing the head honcho and the Bush Administration STILL can't say with confidence that they have achieved their 'mission' it is because they never had one.

Our mission was blindingly simple - make sure that a homicidal madman wouldn't be in charge of doomsday weapons. Oh, my, that's so complex to hold in my little head.

Having read only this far, I'd have to say that your head is awfully little, Brandon. {This is only page 4; I can hardly wait to see what dillies you'll come up with next}

But you're hardly the only one. Timberlandko also seems to be quite capable of denying reality; ejecting past lies and injecting new ones with aplomb. And you guys come up smiling, prevaricating with the best, sorry, the worst of them.

I can understand the confusion for those with small minds. These polar shifts must be making you guys dizzy. There is a picture just a few postings back, which shows these same liars embracing Saddam.

It didn't matter what terror he wreaked upon his own people then, including the use of chemical weapons, with US supplied materiels. It didn't matter what terror he wreaked upon the Iranians, including the use of WMDs, with US supplied materiels and support.

What is wrong with your thinking!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:18 am
JTT wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
If the USA is still in Iraq two years after defeating a totally inferior force and capturing the head honcho and the Bush Administration STILL can't say with confidence that they have achieved their 'mission' it is because they never had one.

Our mission was blindingly simple - make sure that a homicidal madman wouldn't be in charge of doomsday weapons. Oh, my, that's so complex to hold in my little head.

Having read only this far, I'd have to say that your head is awfully little, Brandon. {This is only page 4; I can hardly wait to see what dillies you'll come up with next}

But you're hardly the only one. Timberlandko also seems to be quite capable of denying reality; ejecting past lies and injecting new ones with aplomb. And you guys come up smiling, prevaricating with the best, sorry, the worst of them.

I can understand the confusion for those with small minds. These polar shifts must be making you guys dizzy.

Mere name calling, not containing an actual argument and not worthy of response.

JTT wrote:
There is a picture just a few postings back, which shows these same liars embracing Saddam.

It didn't matter what terror he wreaked upon his own people then, including the use of chemical weapons, with US supplied materiels. It didn't matter what terror he wreaked upon the Iranians, including the use of WMDs, with US supplied materiels and support.

To have given him some bioweapons was a mistake and I would like to know more about the circumstances, but I cannot see how that will protect us now. The fact is that he was a person who could not be allowed to amass and develop a stockpile of bioweapons and nukes. As for supporting him many years ago, it only means that at that moment in history we hated the Iranians more. Not much of a mystery.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:27 am
Brandon wrote
Quote:
I think the planning ahead was not to have the West crippled by WMD use in its cities. That is kind of important.

Are you alluding to the WMD's the inspectors found not to exist. How can you against all evidence keep spouting off about those non existent WMD's There was absolutely no justification for your idol to have launched the war on Iraq?
Consider a war that was not needed to have been fought, cost the US 200 billion American taxpayer dollars, 1600 American lives thousands of debilitating casualties and untold Iraq dead and injured.
If your are so convinced that Bush did the right thing why not put on a uniform and help him out.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
JTT wrote:
There is a picture just a few postings back, which shows these same liars embracing Saddam.

Quote:
To have given him some bioweapons was a mistake and I would like to know more about the circumstances, but I cannot see how that will protect us now. The fact is that he was a person who could not be allowed to amass and develop a stockpile of bioweapons and nukes. As for supporting him many years ago, it only means that at that moment in history we hated the Iranians more. Not much of a mystery.

Oh, I see. You hated the Iranians because they were angry that the US, with the aid of the British, had imposed a ruthless dictator on Iran; a dictator that was responsible for the torture and murder of thousands of his own citizens.

Can you say "hypocrisy"? Are you capable of grasping just how bloody ironic this is? The very bastion of freedom and democracy installs murderers as leaders around the world, offers them its unqualified assistance, as long as that leader toes the US line, then gets angry when the citizens of those countries rightfully retaliate.

What is wrong with your thinking?

See new thread, Brandon, it seems people are coming to their senses.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
au1929 wrote:
Brandon wrote
Quote:
I think the planning ahead was not to have the West crippled by WMD use in its cities. That is kind of important.

Are you alluding to the WMD's the inspectors found not to exist. How can you against all evidence keep spouting off about those non existent WMD's There was absolutely no justification for your idol to have launched the war on Iraq?
Consider a war that was not needed to have been fought, cost the US 200 billion American taxpayer dollars, 1600 American lives thousands of debilitating casualties and untold Iraq dead and injured.
If your are so convinced that Bush did the right thing why not put on a uniform and help him out.

The absolutely incredible thing is that this is still news. It should instead be evidence in an impeachment trial in the Senate. But, you really have to give your head a shake, don't you, this is "news" to a large number of bushies.

+++++++++++++++

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12875384%5E1702,00.html

Reports undercut Iraq, al-Qaeda link

From correspondents in Washington
April 16, 2005

A TOP Democratic senator has released formerly classified documents that he says undercut top US officials' pre-Iraq war claims of a link between Saddam Hussein's regime and the al-Qaeda terrorist network.

"These documents are additional compelling evidence that the intelligence community did not believe there was a cooperative relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda, despite public comments by the highest ranking officials in our government to the contrary," Senator Carl Levin said today.

The declassified documents undermine the Bush administration's claims regarding Iraq's involvement in training al-Qaeda operatives and the likelihood of a meeting between September 11 hijacker Mohammed Atta and an Iraqi intelligence officer in Prague in April 2001, Senator Levin said in a statement.

In October 2002, Mr Bush said: "We've learned that Iraq has trained al-Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases."

But a June 2002 CIA report, titled Iraq and al-Qa'ida: Interpreting a Murky Relationship, said "the level and extent of this is assistance is not clear".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

{continued at the URL noted at the top}
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
I wonder if, when those decent people who voted for the Bushii wake up to the fact that they've been sorely deceived, there'll be outrage or will they shrug their shoulders and hope that the next administration can fix up the appalling mess.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:06 am
goodfielder wrote:
I wonder if, when those decent people who voted for the Bushii wake up to the fact that they've been sorely deceived, there'll be outrage or will they shrug their shoulders and hope that the next administration can fix up the appalling mess.

possibly, that is why he's spending so much time crowing about his religion?

his administration has been anything but conservative in spending, reducing government and constitutional mandates such as providing for the common defense vis a vis "the borders", where commerce and cheap labor trump national security. take away all of the real conservative values and all he has left is to pander to those of the religious extremities.

good! i hope he keeps it up. yesterday, in an interview with russert, chuck hagle was asked about a run for president in '08. if the dems don't field a real live candidate and a republican must be president, hagle i could live with based on what i know of, and have heard from him.

at this point, most of my conservative friends have been heard humming an old song by The Who called "won't get fooled again"...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
JTT wrote:
Timberlandko also seems to be quite capable of denying reality; ejecting past lies and injecting new ones with aplomb.

Evidence, please - documented, factual evidence, not mere opinionatin' supportive of your claim.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:20 pm
warning. taunt the eagle at your own peril...

Laughing
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:42 am
Sorry guys, four days and forty posts behind here. Need to do some 'Googling'.......
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:21 am
goodfielder wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
I doubt if an Exit Plan was seriously considered because there is (drum roll for the Sartre-like reference) No Exit. They never intended to leave, so no need for an Exit Plan.

What was the exit plan for WW2, and if we didn't have one, why not? Hmmmm.....hard one.....could it be because accomplishing the mission was considered the paramount concern?

There are so many differences as to render the comparison worthless Brandon.

Only if a blanket comparison had been made or intended. I can compare any two things if the point being compared is limited, and to mindlessly answer that the two things are different in other respects, not relevant to the comparison, is not very clever. The comparison is valid on the basis it was made, which was to illustrate that sometimes having an exit strategy is not very important at all compared to an intention to prevail.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:25 am
Setanta wrote:
Goodfielder's point is well taken, there are no meaningful corollaries . . . this after all is a case of aggression by the United States, and not a war of self-defense.

That being said, the exit strategy of Dubya-Dubya Two was to defeat the opponent, impose terms, and come home. This we accomplished in under five years, and on a global scale.

I believe that the intention is pretty much the same as this in Iraq, and what is being criticized is the fact that the intention is not more specific about exactly how to get out. However, just as in WW2, when one believes the stakes are high, thinking foremost of exiting is counterproductive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:33 am
au1929 wrote:
Brandon wrote
Quote:

Had we known for sure that the WMD would not be found, it would have been a mistake to invade, but that is only something we have because we invaded. At the time, we had only probabilities, and a long history of WMD production, WMD hiding, and lies by Hussein. What we did not have was proof furnished by him, that they had been destroyed, which was what he had been obligated to provide according to the terms of Gulf War 1. Furthermore, even now we don't know much about where the WMD went, or why a man who wanted sanctions lifted would have destroyed the weapons, yet had no proof he had done so, such as, for instance, video of them being destroyed, or a location where components had been buried. Having an American city annihilated by a WMD, and a million people killed in it, would be sort of expensive too, and kind of worth working to prevent.

au1929 wrote:

The pathetic old refrain that if I don't join the army personally, I can't support any war. It should be obvious that my personal merits or demerits have nothing to do with the validity of my argument.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
JTT wrote:
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Oh, I see. You hated the Iranians because they were angry that the US, with the aid of the British, had imposed a ruthless dictator on Iran; a dictator that was responsible for the torture and murder of thousands of his own citizens.

Can you say "hypocrisy"? Are you capable of grasping just how bloody ironic this is? The very bastion of freedom and democracy installs murderers as leaders around the world, offers them its unqualified assistance, as long as that leader toes the US line, then gets angry when the citizens of those countries rightfully retaliate.

What is wrong with your thinking?

See new thread, Brandon, it seems people are coming to their senses.

It was foolish to have given Hussein bioweapons, although not relevant to the analysis of whether to invade now. As for supporting one bad country against another, this is not a philosophy classroom, and in the high stakes game of geopolitics, sometimes it is necessary to use what you've got. I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:44 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I am doubtful that you would want us to break off all ties with China, just because their leaders are fascist dictators who gun down helpless citizens in public squares for requesting freedom.

... and I thought they were communists...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:59 am
Speaking personally, i have since 1989 opposed trade with China, and any but the most frigid diplomatic relations. But the Shrub Senior hadn't the balls for it, Clinton was too starry-eyed over big Chinese campaign contributions, and the Shrub Junior is as clueless about China as he is about everywhere else.

Some degree of diplomatic pressure would have greately ameliorated the lot of those detained as agitators in the democracy movement. We didn't do squat. China continues happlily along, taking over markets by a dumping policy made possible by what amounts to slave labor in prisons.

Strange though it may seem, i share Brandon's distaste for the Beijing regime. I could not be happier than to see us put our relations with them in the deep freeze, and the multi-nationalist capitalists can kiss my red Irish ass.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:41 am
I ain't real pleased with the state of Sino-US relations myself. The way history works, its just about inevitable The West and China are gonna go toe-to-toe. Scary thought, but inescapable. My feelin' is we should spend a lot less time and energy on dealin' with China in the market place and over the negotiation table and spend a helluva lot more time and energy gettin' ready to deal with China on the battlefield. When China figures she has the upper hand, she'll move on Taiwan - with Japan a major player in that game, and then, like it or not, it will be on.

What has become The West is never ready for the next major war. It manages to win, but in spite of itself. History may not repeat itself, but its sure good at rymin' with itself. The song remains the same.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:30 am
You're saying: prepare for WWIII against China?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:47 am
sadly, i just don't believe that we have the same caliber of diplomats that we once did. unlike the current arab states, china is a long standing nation of power and will not be easily cowed by the "bull in a china shop ( Laughing )" style of the bush 43 administration.

i find it difficult to envision bush, cheney or rice holding a dialog such as those maintained by nixon and kissinger with zhou enlai.

declassified in 1999, you guys might find the following transcripts from the 1972 talks when nixon was the first american president to call on china. i found it interesting to imagine the words of those men coming out of bush and rice.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/publications/DOC_readers/kissinger/nixzhou/nixchou.gif

only nixon could go to china
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:49 am
on the other hand, we could just order wal-mart to cease purchasing from the chinese and ruin their economy...
0 Replies