Rumsfeld: 'Iraq - we have no EXIT policy'

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:07 am
Setanta wrote:
Another of your shopworn excuses.

As i said, folks, why bother?

Everytime I read a post like this, I wonder "why do they bother?"

It adds nothing to the conversation and is nothing more than a baiting tactic.

Perhaps the other members of A2K are interested in what is posted. If you do not wish to read it, you are free not to.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:16 am
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Perhaps the other members of A2K are interested in what is posted. If you do not wish to read it, you are free not to.

< pursed lips >
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:01 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:

In general, in a debate, to say, "I could beat your argument, but it is so stupid that I won't lower myself," while being presented as a claim of intelligence, actually merely means that you lose by forfeit.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:09 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Call me a pollyanna. I have this wacky idea that all those decent people the Bushii sucked in are pretty soon going to work out that they were deceived, that it was just Big Corporate Money putting their puppet into the White House. And they thought they could fool all of the people all of the time? Watch out puppet and Big Corporate Money, the people might just be more than a little ticked off.

I and many other people wanted to invade Iraq based on our own analysis, before Bush came along. In fact, it was the correct decision completely apart from anything his administration said. The probabilities ragarding Hussein and WMD that one could infer simply from the basic history of the situation were more than sufficient to justify invasion. Bush acted correctly to protect the world from a Saddam Hussein with doomsday weapons. We shall certainly be in the same situation many times in the future unless something very basic changes. Indeed, as WMD become simultaneously more powerful, and accessible to less sophisticated entities merely based on the advance of world technology, the frequency of such situations will increase. Iraq was just the leading edge of the phenomenon.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:13 pm
in general i agree with you on that, brandon (dtom reaches down, feels the floor to see if it is very cold to the touch.. :wink: ).

but, as i'm sure you'll agree, sometimes you wind up having to state the same argument over and over again. that gets a little tedious. eventually you can wind up in a place where it's like, "why do this again??".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:25 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
in general i agree with you on that, brandon (dtom reaches down, feels the floor to see if it is very cold to the touch.. :wink: ).

but, as i'm sure you'll agree, sometimes you wind up having to state the same argument over and over again. that gets a little tedious. eventually you can wind up in a place where it's like, "why do this again??".

Yes, I don't like participating in this argument, and it wastes a lot of my time, but my motive is almost always, "I can't let him get away with that." On the other hand, I believe it's a very important argument, because there will be other Iraqs down the road. I sincerely hope that no one figures out how to make a macroscopic amount of antimatter within my lifetime. A single atomic bomb can take out a city. A couple of ounces of antimatter will make today's nuclear weapons look like toys.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:05 pm
Brandon wrote Again

Quote:
In general, in a debate, to say, "I could beat your argument, but it is so stupid that I won't lower myself," while being presented as a claim of intelligence, actually merely means that you lose by forfeit.

Ha Ha I must comment. That statement or one similar seems to be your trademark. You are always ending when all else fails with that piece of childishness. "See I win or you lose.". I can't count the number of different people you have said that to. I am therefore recomending you for the "I win award". The golden dunce cap.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:10 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon wrote Again

Quote:

Ha Ha I must comment. That statement or one similar seems to be your trademark. You are always ending when all else fails with that piece of childishness. "See I win or you lose.". I can't count the number of different people you have said that to. I am therefore recomending you for the "I win award". The golden dunce cap.

Mere name calling, and of no significance to the point under discussion.

It is undeniable that in a debate of any sort, a statement of the form, "I could beat your argument, but I won't lower myself to address it," is ultimately equivalent to saying "I cannot defend my viewpoint." It is simply one of several techniques to pretend to prevail, while not having to go through the troublesome exercise of actually showing the other person's logic to be wrong.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:15 pm
brandon

I knew you would not get the message. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:18 pm
au1929 wrote:
brandon

I knew you would get the message. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I presume you are unable to argue the logic of what is being discussed, since you inevitably choose an easier path such as name calling or an irrelevant jibe.

When arguing two opposing viewpoints, if party A presents his argument, and party B makes irrelevant jibes, party A is the winner regardles of the cleverness Rolling Eyes of the jibes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:26 pm
Brandon
Unless you hadn't noticed your statement was not directed at me. In fact there was no ongoing discussion between us. I was after seeing your oft repeated statement commenting on it's constant use.It ias almost boiler plate. I guess you need make it to pump up your ego.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:31 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon
Unless you hadn't noticed your statement was not directed at me. In fact there was no ongoing discussion between us. I was after seeing your oft repeated statement commenting on it's constant use.It ias almost boiler plate. I guess you need make it to pump up your ego.

Even were your speculations about my ego correct, they would be irrelevant to a discussion of the invasion of Iraq. My personal strengths and weaknesses have no bearing. The analysis of the decision to invade Iraq is pretty cut and dried, and doesn't change for your amusement. It is more a characteristic of people who have no idea what they're talking about to give 10 different answers when asked the same question 10 times. In its own way, your side is just as repetitive. Half of the anti-invasion arguments here amount to the chant, "Bush lied and thousands died."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:43 pm
Brandon
I can see you do not understand. I will say it plainly and perhaps you will. This is a discussion not a contest where one constantly crows "I Win you lose". However, if you need it to feed your ego well so be it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:11 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon
I can see you do not understand. I will say it plainly and perhaps you will. This is a discussion not a contest where one constantly crows "I Win you lose". However, if you need it to feed your ego well so be it.

This is a discussion, usually a debate, and most of the time the participants seem perfectly aware that it is a competition between viewpoints. You are being disingenuous when you act as though the idea that viewpoints are often competing here is only in my mind.

My point is that if one party lays his argument out clearly, and someone trying to argue an opposing view responds only with irrelevant jibes or insults, it would be the universal verdict that, at least formally, the former party's views have prevailed.

Since ignoring the argument logic in favor of that easier course of impugning the source or making wisecracks seems to be the universal fallback position of the liberals here when they cannot defend their ideas, it is deserving of mention that it doesn't make you right.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:03 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Half of the anti-invasion arguments here amount to the chant, "Bush lied and thousands died."

It made me shiver and I grow afraid that you can say this in such a cavalier fashion, Brandon.

Lies matter and when people die because of lies, whether it's your side or not, it also matters; it matters greatly.

I would like to think that you've just kinda lashed out in anger and this is not the real you. In fact, that is what I'm going to believe. The alternative is simply too depressing. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:01 am
Whether or not that statement is characteristic of the real Brandon, you can be assured that Brandon has raged at us all here for years now because his ox has been repeatedly gored on the subject of this invasion. I think anger would very likely be responsible for many of Brandon's posts. He has repeatedly adduced what he contends are good reasons for the invaions, and at a rate of about ten to one or better, people have ridiculed his contentions. I would say he very likely is angry all the tim on this topic. We refuse to buy his bullshit justifications, and his attempt to provide factual bases for his contentions get shot down all the time.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:07 am
Setanta - on the money.

A lot of people who trusted the Bushii are going to very angry when they find out the truth. The Brandonii are going to be quite ticked off when they find out they have been lied to, deceived, tricked, manipulated and traduced.

I think I'll buy shares in a hemp company (rope not dope).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:14 am
There is also a species of human hardheadedness, which i surmise has possession of Brandon, which would never accept evidence of such chicanery, even if beaten repeatedly over the head with it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:21 am
Osmosis Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:43 am
One can only hope . . .
0 Replies