Impeach Kennedy for Being Supremacist Judge?Or Just Kill Him

Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:24 am
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
Goodfielder argues that the people's rights are not innate (or intrinsic, or inherent, or inalienable) and that rights recognized by our forefathers had a "social origin." In an earlier post, he stated that the only rights a person may have are those that society gives to him.

Goodfielder's argument simply ignores that our founders believed that our rights are inalienable -- and that we don't form governments to give us rights -- we form governments to secure the rights we already have. When our founders created our government, it was our founders' intent that government SECURE our inalienable rights, and among those rights are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

Accordingly, when we interpret our Constitution, we must interpret the words contained therein in accordance with the intent of our founders. Any interpretation that suggests that our rights are alienable and conferred by the constitution rather than inalienable and SECURED by the constitution is WRONG, plain and simple.

Debra_Law – repeating a point doesn’t make it any more persuasive. Yes, you already said all that. Let me summarise my position on this.

1. Humans don’t have innate rights. There is no concept of “rights” without a concept of society.
2. Therefore “rights” are socially determined. They are a creation of society.
3. No I don’t ignore the belief of the founders of the Constitution. I acknowledge it. I disagree with the statement that rights somehow exist pre-society. I would appreciate being contradicted on that point.
4. I haven’t argued that we form governments to give us rights. I suppose it’s possible to trace the origis of the existence of rights but I’m going to suggest, for the sake of argument, that they are socially determined from the first rudimentary human groupings. But I reiterate, they are socially determined.
5. It seems to me that the founders of the Constitution didn’t invent rights, they simply acknowledged those that were already known. Those rights were recognised because they had been identified in Europe. Read your history, Saxon common law recognised rights.
6. I don’t mind being wrong, I just want to be shown where I’m wrong.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if you are persuaded or not. You have decided what you want to believe while you ignore clearly established facts. I have provided irrefutable evidence of our founder's beliefs and intent when they established the United States of America. You might not agree with the founders, but your agreement is unnecessary to constitutional interpretation. The fact remains that the Constitution SECURES our inalienable rights, it does not confer rights.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:32 am
Debra_Law wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
Goodfielder argues that the people's rights are not innate (or intrinsic, or inherent, or inalienable) and that rights recognized by our forefathers had a "social origin." In an earlier post, he stated that the only rights a person may have are those that society gives to him.

Goodfielder's argument simply ignores that our founders believed that our rights are inalienable -- and that we don't form governments to give us rights -- we form governments to secure the rights we already have. When our founders created our government, it was our founders' intent that government SECURE our inalienable rights, and among those rights are life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

Accordingly, when we interpret our Constitution, we must interpret the words contained therein in accordance with the intent of our founders. Any interpretation that suggests that our rights are alienable and conferred by the constitution rather than inalienable and SECURED by the constitution is WRONG, plain and simple.

Debra_Law - repeating a point doesn't make it any more persuasive. Yes, you already said all that. Let me summarise my position on this.

1. Humans don't have innate rights. There is no concept of "rights" without a concept of society.
2. Therefore "rights" are socially determined. They are a creation of society.
3. No I don't ignore the belief of the founders of the Constitution. I acknowledge it. I disagree with the statement that rights somehow exist pre-society. I would appreciate being contradicted on that point.
4. I haven't argued that we form governments to give us rights. I suppose it's possible to trace the origis of the existence of rights but I'm going to suggest, for the sake of argument, that they are socially determined from the first rudimentary human groupings. But I reiterate, they are socially determined.
5. It seems to me that the founders of the Constitution didn't invent rights, they simply acknowledged those that were already known. Those rights were recognised because they had been identified in Europe. Read your history, Saxon common law recognised rights.
6. I don't mind being wrong, I just want to be shown where I'm wrong.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if you are persuaded or not. You have decided what you want to believe while you ignore clearly established facts. I have provided irrefutable evidence of our founder's beliefs and intent when they established the United States of America. You might not agree with the founders, but your agreement is unnecessary to constitutional interpretation. The fact remains that the Constitution SECURES our inalienable rights, it does not confer rights.

No all you've done is make a claim that the founders believed in natural law. I'm not disputing that they believed in natural law. I agree that they did.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:43 am
goodfielder wrote:
. . . Humans don’t have innate rights. There is no concept of “rights” without a concept of society. . . .

Debra_Law wrote:

goodfielder wrote:
No all you've done is make a claim that the founders believed in natural law. I'm not disputing that they believed in natural law. I agree that they did.

Then what is your beef? I really don't care if you believe in inherent, inalienable rights. Argue with Thomas Jefferson for awhile:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable rights; that among these, are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." --Declaration of Independence as originally written by Thomas Jefferson, 1776. ME 1:29, Papers 1:315

"The principles on which we engaged, of which the charter of our independence is the record, were sanctioned by the laws of our being, and we but obeyed them in pursuing undeviatingly the course they called for. It issued finally in that inestimable state of freedom which alone can ensure to man the enjoyment of his equal rights." --Thomas Jefferson to Georgetown Republicans, 1809. ME 16:349

"Man [is] a rational animal, endowed by nature with rights and with an innate sense of justice." --Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823. ME 15:441

"A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate." --Thomas Jefferson: Rights of British America, 1774. ME 1:209, Papers 1:134

"Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance." --Thomas Jefferson: Legal Argument, 1770. FE 1:376

"Nothing... is unchangeable but the inherent and unalienable rights of man." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:48

"The evidence of [the] natural right [of expatriation], like that of our right to life, liberty, the use of our faculties, the pursuit of happiness, is not left to the feeble and sophistical investigations of reason, but is impressed on the sense of every man. We do not claim these under the charters of kings or legislators, but under the King of Kings." --Thomas Jefferson to John Manners, 1817. ME 15:124

"Natural rights [are] the objects for the protection of which society is formed and municipal laws established." --Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe, 1797. ME 9:422

"The Declaration of Independence... [is the] declaratory charter of our rights, and of the rights of man." --Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Adams Wells, 1819. ME 15:200

"Some other natural rights... [have] not yet entered into any declaration of rights." --Thomas Jefferson to John W. Eppes, 1813. ME 13:272

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual." --Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819.

"Being myself a warm zealot for the attainment and enjoyment by all mankind of as much liberty as each may exercise without injury to the equal liberty of his fellow citizens, I have lamented that... the endeavors to obtain this should have been attended with the effusion of so much blood." --Thomas Jefferson to Jean Nicholas Demeunier, 1795. FE 7:13

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." --Thomas Jefferson to Francois D'Ivernois, 1795. FE 7:4

"The idea is quite unfounded that on entering into society we give up any natural right." --Thomas Jefferson to Francis Gilmer, 1816. ME 15:24
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:45 am
Don't worry about it. I don't want to get into a cut and paste war.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Debra: I have a question about your natural rights jurisprudence, under the assumption that your approach to natural rights and the constitution is correct. Say you're a judge deciding a case that involves constitutional law. One of the parties claims that one of its unenumerated rights has been violated by the state he is living in. As a principled Supreme Court judge, how would you decide a) whether the alleged right is in fact protected by the Ninth Amendment, and b) decide whether it binds the states via the 14th Amendment? Maybe it will help us to be specific, so here is a list of amendments Thomas Jefferson proposed to include in the Bill of Rights, and which ended up not being included.

In a 1789 letter to Madison, Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I like [the declaration of rights] as far as it goes, but I should have been for going further. For instance, the following alterations and additions would have pleased me:

Article 4. The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or otherwise to publish anything but false facts affecting injuriously the life, liberty, property or reputation of others, or affecting the peace of the confederacy with foreign nations.

Article 7. All facts put in issue before any judicature shall be tried by jury except, 1, in cases of admiralty jurisdiction, wherein a foreigner shall be interested; 2, in cases cognizable before a court martial concerning only the regular officers and soldiers of the United States, or members of the militia in actual service in time of war or insurrection; and 3, in impeachments allowed by the Constitution.

Article 8. No person shall be held in confinement more than -- days after he shall have demanded and been refused a writ of habeas corpus by the judge appointed by law, nor more than -- days after such a writ shall have been served on the person holding him in confinement, and no order given on due examination for his remandment or discharge, nor more than -- hours in any place at a greater distance than -- miles from the usual residence of some judge authorized to issue the writ of habeas corpus; nor shall that writ be suspended for any term exceeding one year, nor in any place more than -- miles distant from the State or encampment of enemies or of insurgents.

Article 9. Monopolies may be allowed to persons for their own productions in literature, and their own inventions in the arts, for a term not exceeding -- years, but for no longer term, and no other purpose.

Article 10. All troops of the United States shall stand ipso facto disbanded at the expiration of the term for which their pay and subsistence shall have been last voted by Congress, and all officers and soldiers not natives of the United States shall be incapable of serving in their armies by land, except during a foreign war.

These restrictions, I think, are so guarded as to hinder evil only. However, if we do not have them now, I have so much confidence in my countrymen as to be satisfied that we shall have them as soon as the degeneracy of our government shall render them necessary." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1789. ME 7:450, Papers 15:367

Source

For all we know, Congress could have thought they were not natural rights, or it could have thought they are covered by the Ninth Amendment. Looking at Jeffersons list, could you give me your opinion which amendment describes a Ninth Amendment right, which describes a Ninth Amendment right that is incorporated through the Fourteenth Amendment, and which describes no natural right at all. And on what basis do you decide?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:20 pm
Thomas:

The belief with respect to inalienable rights does not belong solely to me; it's the belief that the entire foundation of our country was built upon.

The inalienable rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness embrace the all-encompassing right to be free from unreasonable government interference or intrusion in our lives and our activities.

Inasmuch as all persons are created equal, every individual has an equal right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Accordingly, Jefferson stated the following:

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia, 1782. ME 2:221

The only time that it is reasonable for government to interfere or intrude in an individual's life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness is when an individual's conduct injures others.

The safeguards written into the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were intended to be LIMITATIONS upon Government -- limitations intended to SECURE the people's inalienable rights from unreasonable government interference or intrusion in our lives and our activities.

When discussing the provisions that he wanted included in the Bill of Rights, Jefferson said, "These are fetters against doing evil which no honest government should decline."

So, when you look at proposals that Jefferson wanted included in the Bill of Rights -- you are looking at the fetters (limitations, shackles, restraints) that Jefferson wanted placed on government to SECURE the people from unreasonable government interference or intrusions upon our inalienable rights.

Look at Jefferson's proposal:

"The people shall not be deprived or abridged of their right to speak, to write, or otherwise to publish anything but false facts affecting injuriously the life, liberty, property or reputation of others, or affecting the peace of the confederacy with foreign nations."

This proposal is similar to the First Amendment wherein Congress was fettered (prohibited) from making any law that abridges the freedom of speech or the freedom of the press.

The right to speak, write, or otherwise publish is embodied in our inalienable right to liberty. The government may not intrude or interfere in that inalienable right to liberty unless our conduct injures the life, liberty, property or reputation of others . . . .
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:54 pm
Justice Kennedy
Justice Kennedy Wades Into International Waters Again

Quote:
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy never mentioned the names of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay or other conservative leaders who are out for his head.

But the genial justice's speech Friday at the 11th Circuit Judicial Conference in Hollywood, Fla., could be interpreted as a low-key repudiation of their verbal attacks.

And in comments to a reporter afterward, Kennedy pointedly rejected Republican proposals to punish federal judges for their rulings and reduce the judges' discretion in criminal sentencing....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:09 pm
Thanks for the update, Debra.

Good for him, and good for the majority of Supremes that agree with him. From the article, it appears there are only 3 that don't want international law references in decisions, and the rest agree with Kennedy.

It just made sense to me in the juvenile death penalty opinion to reference world trends. In todays world, no country is an island.

(Or something like that.)
0 Replies