Seperaration Anxiety

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:04 am
Any one know about adult Seperation Anxiety? There is a lot of information out there for children but not adults. I think a friend of mine has seperation anxiety (from her husband) and I wanted to approach her with some information, hopefully to help her realize what might be wrong and get her some help.

Just so you know what we are dealing with......This isn't just your "I get sad when I am not with my husband." This is freak out, crying uncontrollably, getting paranoid any time even the subject of him going anywhere for longer than a day comes up. Currently the drama is she doesn't want him to schedule a Men's Weekend with his friends in October because...well, I am not sure....but oh my goodness is she against it. I asked her if there was a reason (he cheated before or did something bad) and she said no, not a specific one and that she didn't understand why she felt so sad about him going away for the weekend.

I googled seperation anxiety but didn't come up with much for adults. I was hoping maybe someone out there could perhaps recommend a book or website. I would be willing to buy a book for her as this is driving ME crazy since I am the one she calls... Sad

Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,847 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:36 am
Bump.

No one, huh?

Hm...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
Hi Bella,

http://www.panic-anxiety.com/what-is-separation-anxiety-disorder.htm

Excerpt:

Quote:
Separation anxiety disorder can affect people of any age. As the name suggests, separation anxiety is characterized by an increased level of anxiety due to being removed from a person or place of safety or comfort. Separation anxiety disorder in children is more common than in adults. Toddler separation anxiety and infant separation anxiety account for the vast number of cases of child separation anxiety.

Quote:
Adults too can experience separation anxiety disorder, this happens through divorce, bereavement or through the development of an anxiety disorder which can include agoraphobic symptoms where a person experiences anxiety due to separation from a person or place of safety.

It is important to understand that although separation can cause anxiety, this is inappropriate when it is clear that the separation is not permanent; of course, young children do not understand that they will be collected again but older children and adults who should understand this and still feel detached and anxious, are experiencing true separation anxiety disorderÂ…this falls into the realms of general anxiety disorder.

The article goes on to describe a treatment method, but I'm not sure how widely accepted that method is. It sounded like a form of GAD to me, this article says the same thing. Does she have other anxieties?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
Does she have the same sort of reaction if he travels for work, or visits family for an afternoon or day? Does she cry when he goes to work each day?

If not, I'd suspect something else is going on.

<grammar edit>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:21 pm
Sometimes she gets weepy and weird when he wants to go out with friends at night without her. He doesn't have the same problem with her going out because her and I do it sometimes without him.
He doesn't normally travel for work but once a while back he had to be gone for about 3 weeks and that was not good. I did notice, however, that about 1 1/2 into it she started to seem better or more ok with it. I don't know if it was the anticipation that half of his trip was over and he was coming home of what.
She works as well so no, I don't think she cries every morning or not that I know of. Of course, I am not there every morning and I only know what she tells me so there very well might be something else going on.

He is a great guy and she really doesn't have any reason to be so weird about this. I've known her since high school and she never used to be this way. It's been in the last 3 year or so. (they've been married for 5) I just don't know what to do. I really want to help her because I know this is straining their marriage.

He doesn't go out often. Maybe 2 times a month without her. He doesn't spend tons of time away from home or her. He pretty much spends all his free time with her. She doesn't act at all weird when my hubby and I go out with them. She is like the old friend I used to know. My hubby and hers can take off to go play pool or video games or whatever and let the wimmins talk and she is fine. I just don't get it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:26 pm
She and I have been friends for a long time and it kills me to have to go over the same thing with her time and time and time again. (not to mention, I am sad to say, it's annoying)
I've gotten the routine down to a sceince. Phone call....The "it's ok, you'll be all right" phase, the "you need to stop crying" phase., the "do you need me to come over?" phase and finally the "ok, go to sleep/work/wherever and call me if you need me".

<<sigh>> it is very tiring. I just want to help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
Re: Seperaration Anxiety
Bella Dea wrote:
Currently the drama is she doesn't want him to schedule a Men's Weekend with his friends in October because...well, I am not sure....but oh my goodness is she against it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:31 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Sometimes she gets weepy and weird when he wants to go out with friends at night without her.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:35 pm
It does look like there's a bit of a pattern to it.
He's not to go out/away with his friends.

That's something she needs to talk to a counsellor about. Your best suggestion as a friend is probably to let her know that you can't talk to her about this - that she needs to speak to someone who's not involved as a friend. When she calls 'freaking out', ask her if she's made arrangements to see a counsellor to talk about it.

Counselling friends is really tricky in this kind of area, and really best avoided - you'd likely have to tell her something that she doesn't want to hear from you - because she wants you to agree with her/support her view/just listen to her. Listen, but let someone else deal with the issues.

Safer for the friendship - assuming you want to maintain it.

<when I turned 40, I dumped someone who used to run a routine very much like this with me, getting older can be very nice>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:40 pm
I can't stand having to console her when I want to way WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU! Is that bad?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:41 pm
Maybe his friends are rats...hm. I dunno. It could be just them... I don't know a lot of them very well. They seem like normal, decent people to me. Oh wait....not all of them are married...maybe it's the single thing?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:53 pm
Nope. Not wanting to console her doesn't make you bad at all.
What can you do about it? Not much probably. Either she's not being totally honest with you about what's happened in the last 3 years or she's developing a paranoia of some kind. I have a friend of over 20 years and I've watched this person grow from a calm and self-confident professional to paranoid and uncertain of her abilities. She was used to being the golden girl and then she took a few hits and was forced into a position where she really had to prove herself to a resentful group of people and that really screwed her head up. She's still the smart and savvy professional she always was but the confidence is gone and she's paranoid that everyone is out to sabotage her. And you can't tell her different. I have tried and tried but she has convinced herself that she's right, everyone else is wrong and no one else understands what she's going through.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:55 pm
<<sigh>> I think that you are right....that this is better left to someone other than me. I just know she won't go see someone and I don't want to terminate the friendship but I don't think I can take it when he finally decides he's had enough and leaves.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:56 pm
Not bad at all, Bella.

And you may have to say that to her someday - to get her to go talk to someone about what's wrong with her.

Hubby's friends being single may well be a factor, and that's something she'll need to look at for herself.

When she's not having one of her fits, does she recognize that she has been unreasonable?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
I once told a friend that I was going to give her a piece of advice about her relationship (that she was always squawking about), and that she could really listen to me and take the advice, or stop talking to me about it.

She realized she wasn't going to like what I was going to say (it was pretty obvious what anyone would say in that case), and I never heard that particular type of squawking again.

Sometimes you have to consider whether you're doing all the giving in a relationship, or if there is give and take. Is everybody getting some benefit/having some fun - or is it just getting too annoying?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:

When she's not having one of her fits, does she recognize that she has been unreasonable?

Yes, she knows it. In fact, she even says "I know I'm being silly but I can't help it!". I do tell her that she can help it but of course, this leads to another round of "How????I CAN'T...." wwwaaahhhh....

Mad

Ok, now I am just getting into the annoyance of this all rather than the helping...this is how frustrating it is for me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:03 pm
I've had to do that too, ehBeth. I had a friend who whined about her boyfriend constantly and I got so tired of hearing it, I gave her an ultimatum. Either do something about it or stop whining. At least, to me. And just like your friend, she stopped whining about him.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:05 pm
Oh how I hate that "I can't help it" crap.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

My best friend is a therapist...maybe I should hook them up. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

My best friend and my crazy friend, that is.
0 Replies