real life

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:44 pm
neologist wrote:
Seriously, the reason for miraculous gifts was to give credence to the apostles...
Then what was the reason for healing in the ministry of Jesus? The Bible says that Christ "healed them that had need of healing".

Further, the Bible says Christ went about "healing all that were oppressed of the devil"

Also Jesus Himself stated that a woman whom He had healed ought to be healed because she was a daughter of Abraham.

Christ, on more than one occasion, commanded the one He healed to tell no one about it.

It seems that God heals because He loves people and wants them well, not because He needs the publicity.

Before He left earth, Jesus commanded those who believed Him to lay hands on the sick that they might recover. (Mark 16:18)

The apostle James reminds his readers of this command.

As mentioned earlier, if anyone doubts that this can work, all he need do to experimentally prove/disprove it is to:

--Find out under what conditions God says He will answer prayer;

--Be completely certain that you meet those conditions; and

--Pray for some sick folks.

(Admittedly, it is much easier to sit back and naysay.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:11 am
As mentioned earlier, real life, the burden of proof is the proponent's. And, as mentioned earlier, no proof that faith healing is not a fraud exists, and no proof that it is real exists. What faith healing has for validation is claim, and nothing more. One may believe whatever one chooses to believe. Believing in a thing or condition does not prove that thing or condition. Faith, no matter how intense, is not proof nor even evidence ... it is superstition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:44 am
timberlandko wrote:
As mentioned earlier, real life, the burden of proof is the proponent's. And, as mentioned earlier, no proof that faith healing is not a fraud exists, and no proof that it is real exists. What faith healing has for validation is claim, and nothing more. One may believe whatever one chooses to believe. Believing in a thing or condition does not prove that thing or condition. Faith, no matter how intense, is not proof nor even evidence ... it is superstition.
That is why I outlined how to prove or disprove by experimentation.

Are you a doer or a talker?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:50 am
I'm a questioner - answer my question; why should I believe your claim?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:00 am
timberlandko wrote:
I've made no claim. But if I had, you should still try it yourself.

It's a very simple experiment. You do believe in using the scientific method, don't you?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:06 am
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

It's a very simple experiment. You do believe in using the scientific method, don't you?

hmmm....to truly test it via scientific method--

Wouldn't you need to have a subject that was sick, very sick. Like sick with a fatal illness like terminal cancer or something. Then make sure not to give patient any western medicine or physical medicine of any kind.

Then apply faith healing. Then see if they live or die.

Is this what you are proposing?

Because if its just a light illness from which they would naturally recover, scientfifically it could be possible their body just recovered its own.

Is this what you are proposing? A life/death faith healing experiment?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:09 am
real life wrote:
It seems that God heals because He loves people and wants them well, not because He needs the publicity.

I always thought statements like this were kind of silly, because:

If God really wants people well, why would they be sick in the first place? I mean he's all powerful. He can get everything he wants with a snap of a finger so to speak.

If an all powerful God wants people well, they will be well. No need to heal--they'll already be well, all the time!!

If you are saying God wants people to be well, and he is all powerful, then to say they are sick and need healing would be admitting "well I guess he doesn't have that much power...his power is fallible...look he wants people well but someone got sick." Doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:17 am
gospelmancan2 wrote:
neologist wrote:
If you are a 'healer' and claim to be a Christian, understand that the miraculous gifts given to the apostles were foretold to cease in 1 Corinthians 13: 8-11. So your power may come from the "ruler of this world". (John 12:31) Who might that be?

If you take 1 Cor 13:8-11 in context, you will see that it is talking about prophecy, tongues and knowledge failing in light of the argument that love is greater than the gifts. Note the last part of the previous chapter which brings the context into view as love being a more excellent way than operating in the gifts. .
Mark 16:18 clearly states that a sign of a believer is healing through laying on of hands. Jesus said that "we would do greater works" than Him and much of His earthy ministry was in the area of healing.
My question is why would Satan heal when Jesus Himself says in John 10 that "the enemy comes to steal kill and destroy"?
We need to study the Bible for what it says clearly and not for what man thinks it implies.

My question is why would our physical body need to be healed in the first place?

Following the reasoning here, if we accept Jesus as our savior, etc, then when our body dies, no problem, we'll soon be in heaven with Jesus. Why does a true believer, a good Christian, even need his/her body healed? The sooner they lose the troublesome body, the sooner they can shuffle off this mortal coil and join Jesus in heaven. No need to heal the physical body and hang around sinful earth longer. ??

Doesn't make sense. Why fuss so much with faith healing? Why not let it go nicely and have faith and let Jesus take care of the soul from there?

Yeah, some relatives might be sad for a few years but thats nothing compared to eternity, just trust in Jesus, quit holding so hard onto the flawed sinful body and trying to heal it.

Why heal it to hang around here for a few more years when its just God trying to take you Home?

Why faith heal? Are you getting so attached to this earthly life? "He who loves his life shall lose it. He who hates his life shall have everlasting life."

"Look at the birds in the sky, the flowers in the ground. Do they worry about what will happen to them tomorrow?"

Why do you cling to the human body so much that you need faith healing?

Are you actually saying you have little faith your soul will be taken care of after you die of your sickness?

Is pursuing faith healing actually an admission to lack of faith that Jesus will be there for you in the afterlife?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:22 am
extra medium wrote:
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

hmmm....to truly test it via scientific method--

Wouldn't you need to have a subject that was sick, very sick. Like sick with a fatal illness like terminal cancer or something. Then make sure not to give patient any western medicine or physical medicine of any kind.

Then apply faith healing. Then see if they live or die.

Is this what you are proposing?

Because if its just a light illness from which they would naturally recover, scientfifically it could be possible their body just recovered its own.

Is this what you are proposing? A life/death faith healing experiment?
Not at all.

But leave it to you, Extra, to come up with that. Ha. (Have you ever applied as a jokewriter for Saturday Night Live?)

Why would it only be valid on a terminal case? There are many sicknesses that are not terminal that folks would be glad to be rid of as well.

In addition, I have never recommended that folks cannot or should not consult a physician. One of the New Testament writers was a physician. He carefully documented many healings that Jesus did. The Greek medical terms he used were unlike the other Gospel writers who were of other occupations.

Many practicing physicians today are Christians who encourage their patients to practice their faith , including prayer.

Just as praying for money to pay your bills doesn't mean that you don't go to work tomorrow; so prayer for healing doesn't mean that you can't see a doctor.

Many chronic conditions are not terminal but see little relief from even the most modern techniques. Why not pray for those also?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:32 am
real life wrote:
God heals because He loves people and wants them well, not because He needs the publicity.

Just does not make sense.

1. There is an all powerful God.
2. This all powerful God wants people well.
3. People get sick anyway. <--- See that right there does not fit with #1 #2 above--its Impossible!
4. All powerful God, who wants people well, must work on getting them well. Sometimes all powerful God succeeds at this, sometimes all powerful God doesn't succeed at it.

Does not make sense. Only with religion we are asked to believe in such insanity.

Even if I believe in God (and I may)--I cannot believe the above insane convoluted thought process.

Almost insanity.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 01:49 am
extra medium wrote:
real life wrote:
God heals because He loves people and wants them well, not because He needs the publicity.

3. People get sick anyway.
4. All powerful God, who wants people well, must work on getting them well. Sometimes all powerful God succeeds at this, sometimes all powerful God doesn't succeed at it.

Does not make sense. Only with religion we are asked to believe in such insanity.

Even if I believe in God (and I may)--I cannot believe the above insane convoluted thought process.

Almost insanity.
Hi Extra,

The Bible states that God CAN do anything. However, not everything is the product of God's action.

Jesus told His disciples to pray "Thy will be done." It is because God's will is not always done.

God didn't create robots. Man has a free will and chooses wrong much of the time. You don't have to teach a small child to lie. They figure it out on their own. This is obvious to anyone who has ever had children. Man is born into sin.

The Bible makes it very clear that the world as we know it today is not the same as God created it. This is due to the effects of man's sin.

I know you cannot see sin, and therefore you may not understand how it can effect the world so. Doctors are just now starting to explore how intangibles such as hatred, anger, depression (which we cannot see) affect the physical body which we can see.

Blaming God for sin and it's effects is as old as the world itself. However, God doesn't make your choices , you do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 02:06 am
real life wrote:
I've made no claim.

au contraire, mon frere.
you wrote:
...God heals because He loves people and wants them well, not because He needs the publicity.

Quite a few claims there - one, that there is a diety, two, that this diety takes interst in and action regarding mankind's affairs, three, that this diety heals, fourth that this diestic healing is motivated by this alledged diety'slove for humankind, and finally your impllied assertion all the foregoing be true.

still avoiding my question, you then wrote:
But if I had, you should still try it yourself.

I certainly do believe in the scientific method. I ask of you to fulfill your obligation thereunder and demonstrate your proof. Suggesting I prove it myself is mere sophistry and blatant evasion. You've made the claims, they're your claims; prove them. Thats all I ask. Thats all science asks.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 02:32 am
real life,

Why would the believer bother with faith healing when he's going to heaven anyway when his body dies?

Isn't that getting attached to this carnal sinful earthly life?

"He who loves his life on earth will lose it. He who hates his life shall be granted eternal life."

The believer who is into faith healing almost reminds me of a person doing parlor tricks:

"I know I'm going to be in heaven Eternally, Forever!!! But please oh please oh please God I beg of you: heal my body so I can live a few years (seconds) longer"

Again, does not make sense.

If I will live eternally in heaven after I die, why do I care so much about the life of this physical body?

It almost seems like the faith healer is an atheist! Like s/he's scared to die...! "Please heal me now so I don't die, I don't want to die!"

Scared to go to heaven? Want to hang aound on the sinful earth longer? Isn't that a sinful desire? Not to mention egotistical. "Please save ME and my PHYSICAL BODY lord. I'm scared I may not go to heaven after all?"

To the contrary:
If I have utter faith I am going to heaven after I die, I would welcome death.

The faith healer appears to display a lack of True Faith, being so hung up on curing the temporal inconsequential human body that was born of sin.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:15 am
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
If you are a 'healer' and claim to be a Christian, understand that the miraculous gifts given to the apostles were foretold to cease in 1 Corinthians 13: 8-11. So your power may come from the "ruler of this world". (John 12:31) Who might that be?

Neologist,

It also says in the same passage that knowledge will vanish away. Are you saying this has happened also?
If you say so.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:22 am
extra medium wrote:
real life,

Why would the believer bother with faith healing when he's going to heaven anyway when his body dies?

Isn't that getting attached to this carnal sinful earthly life?

"He who loves his life on earth will lose it. He who hates his life shall be granted eternal life."

The believer who is into faith healing almost reminds me of a person doing parlor tricks:

"I know I'm going to be in heaven Eternally, Forever!!! But please oh please oh please God I beg of you: heal my body so I can live a few years (seconds) longer"

Again, does not make sense.

If I will live eternally in heaven after I die, why do I care so much about the life of this physical body?

It almost seems like the faith healer is an atheist! Like s/he's scared to die...! "Please heal me now so I don't die, I don't want to die!"

Scared to go to heaven? Want to hang aound on the sinful earth longer? Isn't that a sinful desire? Not to mention egotistical. "Please save ME and my PHYSICAL BODY lord. I'm scared I may not go to heaven after all?"

To the contrary:
If I have utter faith I am going to heaven after I die, I would welcome death.

The faith healer appears to display a lack of True Faith, being so hung up on curing the temporal inconsequential human body that was born of sin.
Ha. Nice try, Extra. You are getting better.

However , Christians are following the example of Christ, who healed.

Mark 16:18 Jesus said those who believe in His name would lay hands on the sick.

Christians do not only care about life hereafter. It has been the Christian convictions of men and women throughout the history of the world that has built hospitals, orphanages, food pantries, established governments insuring freedom for all, abolished slavery in many countries, given rights to women and minorities.

The history of the Western world as it has risen to advance the world in the last 500 years is completely unintelligible if you remove the influence of the Reformation, and the actions of believers working from faith in what they believed Christ had commanded them to do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 08:34 am
timberlandko wrote:
.....Quite a few claims there ...

The claims you identify as mine are not mine. They are the Bible. I referenced them as such.

If you want to dispute the Bible, I suggest you read it first. Examine the evidence presented thoroughly before you try to reach your conclusion.

Don't just cruise a few passages. That is like watching the 2 minute trailer to a 12 hour miniseries.

Read it all. I suggest more than once, since it is long and multifaceted and you will not be able to fully grasp the content in one reading.

Then perhaps you can frame a more relevant challenge to the Bible.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:07 am
extra medium wrote:
real life wrote:

3. People get sick anyway. <--- See that right there does not fit with #1 #2 above--its Impossible!

Almost insanity.
This thread is moving so fast, I can hardly keep up. After all, I'm just an illiterignoramus, and from New Jersey!
So, it probably won't help much, EM, if I say I agree with you 99.9%. Real life just told me that the scriptural reference I provided said the 'knowledge will pass away". Then I made a sarcastic post; but that's just my illiterignoramustic nature and has no foundation in reality.

As I was saying: The passage real life and I were pontificating over goes on to say "For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; 10 but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with." Apparently Paul is speaking about the bible when complete: that it can be a tool for setting things straight.

I was telling you in another thread that I would explain to you how the bible has internal harmony and can be used to reach an understanding of the truth. Matthew 7:7 says, in part "; keep on seeking, and YOU will find". (bold emphasis mine) You will have to expend some effort. Would you care to set the standards for such a dissertation?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:31 am
real life wrote:
Christians do not only care about life hereafter. It has been the Christian convictions of men and women throughout the history of the world that has built hospitals, orphanages, food pantries, established governments insuring freedom for all, abolished slavery in many countries, given rights to women and minorities.

The history of the Western world as it has risen to advance the world in the last 500 years is completely unintelligible if you remove the influence of the Reformation, and the actions of believers working from faith in what they believed Christ had commanded them to do.

Christians have also brought us the Crusades and the Inquisition. If you think these atrocities were limited to Catholics, read Martin Luther:
Luther wrote:
The hand that wields the secular sword is not a human hand but the hand of God. It is God, not man, who hangs and breaks on the wheel, and decapitates, and flogs; it is God who wages war.

Or Calvin:
Calvin wrote:
When the papists are so harsh and violent in defense of their superstitions that they rage cruelly to shed innocent blood, are not Christian magistrates shamed to show themselves less ardent in defense of the sure truth?

or John Knox:
knox wrote:
To the carnal man this may appear a rigorous and severe judgment, yea, it may rather seem to be pronounced in rage than in wisdom....But in such cases God wills that all creatures stoop, cover their faces, and desist from reasoning...

The 20th century saw 'christian' preachers blessing the troops, the battleships and cannons of every side in the 'Wars to end all wars'

Go ahead, real life; claim credit for the orpahanages; but only if you claim responsibility for their necessity.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:20 am
real life wrote:
The claims you identify as mine are not mine. They are the Bible. I referenced them as such.

If you want to dispute the Bible, I suggest you read it first. Examine the evidence presented thoroughly before you try to reach your conclusion.

Don't just cruise a few passages. That is like watching the 2 minute trailer to a 12 hour miniseries.

Read it all. I suggest more than once, since it is long and multifaceted and you will not be able to fully grasp the content in one reading.

Then perhaps you can frame a more relevant challenge to the Bible.

Oh, I've read The Bible - studied it rather rigorously, in fact, hermaneutically, exegetically, academically, and objectively, numerous versions, in several translations. And its history, its theology (from several perspectives), its canonical and ex-canonical components (by several different canons), its antecedents, its contemporaries, its outgrowths, and much commentary thereof, from Abrabanel and Aquinas through Zacharias Chrysopolitanus and Zwingli. I've discussed and debated the matter with widely acreditted, world-reknowned experts, published scholars, people of note and regard among various Abrahamic faiths and people not. Its long, long been a concern of considerable personal interest.

The writings central to religion always have fascinated me, and I've explored them in depth, with particular emphasis on those associated with or related to the Abrahamic traditions. I've even delved into Middle Eastern archaeology at some depth, if you'll pardon the pun. I would say my familiarity with the Judaeo-Christian mythopaeia, its origins, permutations, and ramifications is both far broader and much more solidly founded than is typical of most.

Some years back, Daniel Lazare, whose politics and mine do not coincide - stand in opposition, in fact, but no matter - wrote a dispassionate, objective, well researched, lengthy, highly detailed, ARTICLE for Harpers Magazine, in which is examined what is known of The Bible as contrasted with what traditionally has been assumed or accepted. It is a fairly long read, but I recommend it highly. I doubt you will read it all, and I doubt you will accept any of it you read, however, it does sum up the current state of actual knowledge of The Bible and its origins.

To the interest of fairness and balance, I refer you to an Article of countering perspective, written a couple years earlier by Stephen Goode (with whom I have slightly - but only slightly - more political affinity than with the aforementioned Lazare) for Insight on the News. Of course, while in the end it comes to subjective evaluation, I find Lazare's piece - and its embodied thesis - by far the more persuasive of the two. Your mileage may differ.

While I don't know you, I would venture it a safe guess to postulate I've spent more time, all told, studying the subject than you have spent out of diapers. I've seen more than the trailer, I'm workingly familiar with the entire genre.

But thats neither here nor there. Lets get back to your claims - yes, your claims, since you are the one pressing them - even paraphrasing them, regardless from whence they originated. I submit that no circular, wholly internally referenced "Proof" is a proof at all, and I submit as well that such is the only forensic validation of The Bible. "The Bible is so because The Bible says so, and I believe that because I know God in my heart, as The Bible tells me is right" is a ridiculous defense. I submit yet further that most of what Bible proponents "Know" about The Bible simply isn't so.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 11:24 am
Timber--

Quote:
There are more things dreamt in your philosophy than are in heaven and earth.

You outroar Hamlet (but as sweetly as any suckling dove). You confound Horatio and out-Herod Herod.

Oh! Brave New World that has such people in it.
0 Replies