real life

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:21 pm
Re: Is faith healing real?
puglia wrote:
I have been doing much research on healing, Edgar Cayce could diagnose and then name the person who could heal you. what I'm looking for is one single documented case of deliverance from terminal illness. (besides the Bible) through touching praying or any other means.
What a question.

Why don't you try it yourself instead of asking someone else to prove or disprove?

Find out: Under what circumstances or in response to who or what does God say He will answer prayer?

Then: Meet those qualifications and begin praying.

Pray: For all kinds of sick folk, terminal and not. Pray also for God to meet all kinds of needs, not just sickness. Be specific and be sure you continue to meet the qualifications throughout the test.

Discover: Well, do any of your prayers get answered, yes or no?

You consider yourself scientifically enlightened , but you won't test the theorem you are questioning. Go figure.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:22 pm
MrIVI perhaps you DO know how astrology works and CAN prove it?

Until you can, I'm happy to call it shite.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:56 pm
One case among many
A lady who was dying of terminal stomach cancer came to a healing meeting at a church I used to attend. During the meeting she was healed of her disease and lived another 10 years before she died of another completely unrelated disease. There was medical documentation and verification of this.
I suggest you contact Billy Burke Ministries out of Florida for his own story. He was days or at best months from death when he was healed through the ministry of Kathryn Kulman. That was many years ago.
Personally I have prayed for people to be healed of various ailments and seen both instantaneous healings and healings that came to pass soon after.
In the last chapter of John you can read that one of the signs of a Christian believer is that they will lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. I fully believe this and have seen case after case of people healed through my own prayer and the prayer of others. It wasn't me but God healing through me.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:59 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Don't let 'em fool ya none.

Ok Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:07 am
Well, this study shows that praying gave no additional benefits to children with psychiatric disorders:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15715813

Then there's the case of retroactive prayer:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15604179

In the case of HIV, one study proved that faith healing was a risk to diagnosis of cancer:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15765309

Here's another report looking at how many child deaths could have been prevented if their parents did not completely substitute traditional medicine for faith healing:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/101/4/625.pdf

Here's another concerning cancer patients' use of faith healing and other non-proven treatments, the conclusion of the study showing that NPTs do not have any effect on the patients:
http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/abstract/16/1/6

I suspect that the woman with terminal stomach cancer one of you mentioned is the exception to the rule.

I think, however, this following article is very itneresting and very relevant to this topic: http://www.sram.org/0801/v8n1_columbia_prayer.pdf

Real scientific studies do not show favourable results for faith healing.

I remember, though, one person replying to one of my articles (which was paraphrased from an article in Focus Magazine, which was in itself reporting on the report on retroactive prayer, to which I have posted a link) that "prayer can't be proven by science, only through faith and personal relationship to God".

If that is true, then we may never know if prayer is truth or a lie unless we have faith, which is subjective and questionable at best in finding out the truth.

P.S. Not even I have access to all the articles I posted links to. However, the abstracts themselves will tell you the general jist of what is going on in each study and maybe what they found.

P.P.S. I have juts reailsed that one of my sentences needs clarifying. In no way did I actually write the article on retroactive prayer. I wrote an article on an article which appeared on a scientific magazine, which detailed the results of a retroactive prayer study.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:39 pm
Re: The small mind mocking what he does not understand.
MrIVI wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Don't let 'em fool ya none - faith healin' is every bit as real as astrology. Both are based ob the same principle - the one P. T. Barnum summed up so well, as c. i. mentioned. All ya gotta do is Believe. Oh, and while you're busy believin', don't forget to send money.
My feelings about the paranormal are expressed HERE
But don't listen to me. Listen to this bastard*: "This is the excellent foppery of the world, that when we are sick in fortune - often the surfeit of our own behavior - we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars, as if we were villains by necessity..."
Shakespeare, King Lear
*Edmund
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:54 pm
Re: The small mind mocking what he does not understand.
MrIVI wrote:
Don't knock astrology so quickly. I bet you have no idea how it works and thus no basis to prove or disprove it.

That would be a bet you'd lose. My familiarity with astrology extends from its origins in the development of the calendar central to Summerian worship of the sun, moon and stars through its development by the Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks, and Arabs, with side trips into less-well documented Nordic, Druidic and Meso-American cultures and mythologies, and some study of Oriental pre-history, history and mythology, as are relevant to the subject.

The precursors of birth-horoscopes date to around the 14th Century BC, in Babylon, though such were little more than charts of the position of the heavenly bodies at the time of birth (or sometimes conception), and had little or no predictive aspect. The primary point was to "Prove" the worthiness of of a royal personage for special consideration by and protection of the gods.

It took a few hundred years, and the development of the astrolabe, for the Assyrians to calculate and establish a reasonably accurate map of celestial bodies, which they used to formulate the first fairly consistent, acceptably accurate calendar. The 18 constellations and 5 planets plus the Sun and the Moon originally catalogued by the Assyrians, in concert with the Assyrian calendar, form the basis of Western Astrology. The contemporary "Signs of The Zodiac" did not come into being for several centuries beyond the Assyrian catalogue of cellestial bodies.

The next phase in the development of Western Astrology occurs during the "New Babylonian Period", roughly 600 - 300 BC. During this time, the Signs of the Zodiac came about, and "predictive" birth astrology began to develop. The foundations were pretty well laid for the succeeding development, which consisted primarilly of Greek expansion upon the Assyrian/Baylonian system. This lasted from around the 4th Century BC through the period of Roman expansion, which began circa the middle-2cnd-Century BC.

By and large, Roman culture initially gave little credence to astrology, though the growing fascination of Romans with all things Greek and Egyptian eventually enshrined Claudius Ptolemy's (actually, C.P. was neither Roman nor Greek, nor even really a Ptolemy - of the Hellenic-based Royal Egyptian Ptolemaic line - but an Alexandrian astronomer/mathemetician/geographer/scholar/teacher) Ptolemaic System, and its astronomy/astrology, in the Roman consciousness. The earliest extant version of Ptolemy's astrologic writings (the Tetrabiblos of Ptolemy the Alexandrian, also known as Mathematical Treatise in Four Books, and also referred to as The Prognostics Addressed to Syrus) are to be found as a 10th Century Arabic translation, the 4 books of which were re-translated back into Latin, and thusly were disseminated among the intelligentsia of Medieval Europe. In this work, Ptolemy describes 48 constellations and essentially compiles all preceeding astrological works - many of which are known only through their mention or reference within Ptolemy's books. The Tetrabiblos draws heavilly on Ptolemy's own 13-Volume Almagest, in which the entire Ptolemaic System is described, and of which contemporary original or near-original editions have survived to this day.

No "Scholarly" addition to astrology has occurred since, though there have been developments and expansions based on Ptolemy's works. Interestingly, though the phenomenon was well known at the time of Ptolemy's writings, he takes no notice of nor does he make allowance for the precession of the equinoxes. It also was Ptolemy's contention that conception, not birth, was the point from which to calculate an individual's astrologic chart. Apart from that, Ptolemy's work incorporated numerous astronomic and calendrical errors. It appears from the evidence he may not even have been an astrologer in the contemporarily accepted sense; no astrologic chart attributable to him is known to exist. It well may be he was not a practitioner, nor even a believer, but merely a chronicler of the art. To be noted as well is the fact Ptolemy's numbers were doctored, skewed, altered, even fabricated, to fit his various hypotheses. See The Crime of Claudius Ptolemy: Newton, R., PhD (Johns-Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1977).

Following Ptolemy The Alexandrian, influential writings on astrology were produced ny such luminaries of the times as Paul of Alexandria, Hephaestion of Thebes, and Palchus, all Egyptians, the Alexandrian mathemetician/astronomers Pappus and Theon, and the Greek mathemetician Proclus. With the fall of The Roman Empire, interest in astrology entered a decline of several centuries, recovering somewhat in the 8th Century, when the Islamic scholar/theologian/astronomer Albumasar popularized the study of Graeco-Roman astrology among his contemporary coreligionists. The Crusades brought Ptolemy The Alexandrian's work, Albumasar's work, and other Islamic/Arabic works influenced by their writings, to the attention of Europe.

It may interest you to know I can cast an astrologic chart by any of several methods peculiar to various disciplines, Western and Oriental. I'm also pretty good with the Tarot, and fairly adept at I Ching. I love parlor games.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:05 pm
A number of web sites discounting faith healing does not negate the truth of first hand documented
testimony. I know another woman who could barely walk due to a chronic neuro-muscular disease who was healed through prayer and it was medically verified that she no longer had the disease. It should be noted that there are no known cases of this happening in the medical community as this ailment never gets better and ends in
paralysis of the limbs and ultimately death.
I have seen crooked legs straighten out after years of being congenitally deformed. I have seen cancerous growths disappear in a second. One second there and the next second gone.
I have personally witnessed hundreds of these cases.
How can this be discounted? Maybe I am lying. I see no motive for me to do so. Maybe they were lying.
I have seen too many before and after cases for that to be the case.
I would challenge those out there with ailments to pray in the name of Jesus to be healed.
I do not expect that everyone out there will be healed
if they pray but I expect that someone will be.
If so I would hope that person would post here and tell of their experience.
As for the pronouncements of the scientific community I would submit that they are afraid of what they cannot measure and would discount it. After all, science is only measurement of the natural world and the using of that measurement to further knowledge of properties of the natural universe that already exists. This can and has brought great advances in the physical sphere but cannot be stacked up against spiritual matters.
Any lack of scientific measurement of faith healing is the problem of the scientists and not the problem of those who believe in healing. I stopped bowing to the great god of science when I realized that Shakespeare was correct in writing
" There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:39 pm
gospelmancan2 wrote:
... I know another woman who could barely walk due to a chronic neuro-muscular disease who was healed through prayer and it was medically verified that she no longer had the disease. It should be noted that there are no known cases of this happening in the medical community as this ailment never gets better and ends in
paralysis of the limbs and ultimately death.
I have seen crooked legs straighten out after years of being congenitally deformed. I have seen cancerous growths disappear in a second. One second there and the next second gone.
I have personally witnessed hundreds of these cases.
How can this be discounted? Maybe I am lying. I see no motive for me to do so. Maybe they were lying.
I have seen too many before and after cases for that to be the case."

And I submit that absent credible, verifiable, independendent corroborative documentation, you have presented nothing more than unsubstantiated, annecdotal hearsay with none but personal reference ... hardly "evidence" of any sort. I submit further the tone of your commentary quite strongly indicates deceptive motive on your part. You may have your belief, but you have presented no forensically valid argument in support thereof.

Quote:
There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

There are more things dreamt in your philosophy than are in heaven and earth.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:06 pm
If you are a 'healer' and claim to be a Christian, understand that the miraculous gifts given to the apostles were foretold to cease in 1 Corinthians 13: 8-11. So your power may come from the "ruler of this world". (John 12:31) Who might that be?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:13 pm
Bear in mind, neologist, that only such of The Bible as may be not inconvenient to a particular Christian's preference is accorded any weight by the Christian involved. That which supports a favored proposition is The Word of God, that which contradicts is mere allegory. To be fair, Christians are not alone among religionists in selective application of their sacred writings - the practice is and always has been depressingly common throughout the demographic of "Believers", no matter what flavor of belief might be professed.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:21 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Bear in mind, neologist, that only such of The Bible as may be not inconvenient to a particular Christian's preference is accorded any weight by the Christian involved. That which supports a favored proposition is The Word of God, that which contradicts is mere allegory. To be fair, Christians are not alone among religionists in selective application of their sacred swritings - the practice is and always has been depressingly common throughout the demographic of "Believers", no matter what flavor of belief might be favored.
I've been accused of that myself and it really hurts my feelings, 'cuz I'm always right!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/crybaby.gif
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:30 pm
Quote:
And I submit that absent credible, verifiable, independendent corroborative documentation, you have presented nothing more than unsubstantiated, annecdotal hearsay with none but personal reference ... hardly "evidence" of any sort. I submit further the tone of your commentary quite strongly indicates deceptive motive on your part. You may have your belief, but you have presented no forensically valid argument in support thereof.

I could say exactly the same thing about those who do not believe in faith healing and the arguments they present.
I did not claim to bring evidence I only spoke to my own observations. If it is evidence you seek I invite you to do your own investigation of the matter with an unbiased eye. There is evidence enough out there without me trying to prove to you what I believe on the basis of my own findings. I wonder if you would discount my experience if it coincided with your personal views?
As far as the tone of my commentary is concerned, the deceptiveness of what I said was in your perception and not in my writing. I stated what I have observed and why I believe faith healing is real. Pretty staightforward from what I see.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:55 pm
neologist wrote:
If you are a 'healer' and claim to be a Christian, understand that the miraculous gifts given to the apostles were foretold to cease in 1 Corinthians 13: 8-11. So your power may come from the "ruler of this world". (John 12:31) Who might that be?

If you take 1 Cor 13:8-11 in context, you will see that it is talking about prophecy, tongues and knowledge failing in light of the argument that love is greater than the gifts. Note the last part of the previous chapter which brings the context into view as love being a more excellent way than operating in the gifts. .
Mark 16:18 clearly states that a sign of a believer is healing through laying on of hands. Jesus said that "we would do greater works" than Him and much of His earthy ministry was in the area of healing.
My question is why would Satan heal when Jesus Himself says in John 10 that "the enemy comes to steal kill and destroy"?
We need to study the Bible for what it says clearly and not for what man thinks it implies.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:56 pm
gospelmancan2 wrote:
I did not claim to bring evidence I only spoke to my own observations. If it is evidence you seek I invite you to do your own investigation of the matter with an unbiased eye.
Here's the rub:
Either faith healing exists or it does not.
If it does not exist, the discussion is over.
If it exists, it is either in agreement with scripture or it is not.
If it is in agreement with scripture, you must prove both.
If it is not in agreement with scripture, it is no longer a subject for my investigation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:08 pm
gospelmancan2 wrote:
neologist wrote:

If you take 1 Cor 13:8-11 in context, you will see that it is talking about prophecy, tongues and knowledge failing in light of the argument that love is greater than the gifts. Note the last part of the previous chapter which brings the context into view as love being a more excellent way than operating in the gifts. .
Mark 16:18 clearly states that a sign of a believer is healing through laying on of hands. Jesus said that "we would do greater works" than Him and much of His earthy ministry was in the area of healing.
My question is why would Satan heal when Jesus Himself says in John 10 that "the enemy comes to steal kill and destroy"?
We need to study the Bible for what it says clearly and not for what man thinks it implies.
See, there you go again!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/crybaby.gif
Seriously, the reason for miraculous gifts was to give credence to the apostles, that they were in fact in a new covenant relationship with God. All of those who were healed eventually sickened and died, did they not? So the only hope we have for freedom from sickness and death is from the eventual outworking of God's purpose, right? Now that the bible has ben completed in its entirety, there is no need for miracles. The sad fact is even those who witnessed the miracles Jesus performed eventually accused him of blasphemy and sedition and had him executed.

Everybody wants a sign. I say the sign is already written and must be discerned.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:17 pm
I'll agree your presentation of your position is straightforward, gospelmancan2. Unarguably straightforward. That, however, in no way validates your argument. In debate, the burden of proof lies with the proponent, as in law the burden of proof lies with the accuser. It is up to those who claim the validity of faith healing to prove their case. This never has been done. I do not say categorically that faith healing is a fraud, I say only that there is no proof it is not and that likewise there is no proof it is real.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:25 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I'll agree your presentation of your position is straightforward, gospelmancan2. Unarguably straightforward. That, however, in no way validates your argument. In debate, the burden of proof lies with the proponent, as in law the burden of proof lies with the accuser. It is up to those who claim the validity of faith healing to prove their case. This never has been done. I do not say categorically that faith healing is a fraud, I say only that there is no proof it is not and that likewise there is no proof it is real.
Good point, Timber. BTW, I just looked at your website. I had to turn away; I couldn't bear to look. Sorry.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:14 pm
neologist wrote:

Neologist,

It also says in the same passage that knowledge will vanish away. Are you saying this has happened also?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:26 pm
neologist wrote:
... I just looked at your website. I had to turn away; I couldn't bear to look. Sorry.

No apology necessary - its strong stuff, and meant to be so. Lest we forget.
0 Replies