How important is having a woman president?

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:02 am
This is a question aimed at people who always vote for Democrats.

Let's say by some good fortune in 2020 Trump is out of the picture and Mia Love wins the presidential nomination for the GOP. Mia Love is pretty solidly conservative; pro-life, pro-gun.... etc. etc. For the sake of the argument the Democratic nominee is Beto O'Rourke.

Do you vote gender, or do you vote political ideology?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,058 • Replies: 44

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:40 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is a question aimed at people who always vote for Democrats.

Let's say by some good fortune in 2020 Trump is out of the picture and Mia Love wins the presidential nomination for the GOP. Mia Love is pretty solidly conservative; pro-life, pro-gun.... etc. etc. For the sake of the argument the Democratic nominee is Beto O'Rourke.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Can you be anymore goofy? Can you load the question any bit more? Maybe say Eva Braun's zombie corpse as GOP presidential nomination along side Melania Trump as her running mate?

If you didn't load the question with an obvious socially conservative (and excruciatingly impossible) test case of Mia Love (whoever the heck that is)? Then you'd get some more earnest and thoughtful answers.

Seriously? What answer do you really think liberal or progressive Democrats and independents would answer? Of course, we're going to vote by ideology.
hightor

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:56 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

Neither.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I think the question is a fair one. Mia Love is a fairly mainstream conservative... she would be a perfectly respectable choice in our current political climate.

Are you suggesting that anyone who isn't a liberal is a Nazi? If you are singling out Mia Love as a Nazi (which I think is extremely unfair) maybe you could suggest a conservative woman that would be a better example.

The post was inspired by the Hillary Clinton thread... where the suggestion seemed to be that more women would lead to a change in policy. This, of course, implies that women equal political liberal.

I guess you did answer the question. I just wish you didn't go full Godwin in your first post.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:59 am
@hightor,
What does "neither" mean? If the choice were Love (a conservative woman) vs. O'Rourke (a liberal White man)... you wouldn't vote? A third party?
maporsche

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd vote ideology first because that is more important to me than anything else.

If I were blessed with two equally qualified, popular, etc democratic candidates, one male and one female, I'd probably vote for the female, hoping that she'd be the first female president.

If Mia Love or another qualified woman Republican won, I'd be very happy that the gender barrier was finally broken, shocked that it was a republican who broke it, and otherwise unhappy because a republican won the white house.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:46 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Are you suggesting that anyone who isn't a liberal is a Nazi? If you are singling out Mia Love as a Nazi (which I think is extremely unfair) maybe you could suggest a conservative woman that would be a better example.

Don't be an idiot by reading into my hyperbolic example (and I pretty damn sure you know that I'm not). Not saying Mia Love (someone I never heard of and really doubt)... is mainstream or Nazi (given your list of prolife, progun, etc... descriptors).

How in the frack is she mainstream?
Quote:
Summary of voting record: Representative Love opposes taxing businesses, consumer protection, funding education, environmental protection, financial sector regulation, gun control, public health, humane immigration policy, labor rights and wages, lgbt rights, avoiding default, poverty amelioration, racial equality, increasing revenues, taxing the wealthy, countering russian interference, a robust safety net, higher spending, women's rights and supports big business, hawkish foreign policy, taxing the middle class, military spending

This whole thread is exists to be a (rather lame) troll. You picked her because she's black and Republican.

This ain't my question to add nominations to this obvious troll thread.
So... without much research...
Lisa Murkowski
Susan Collins
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:51 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'd vote ideology first because that is more important to me than anything else.

If I were blessed with two equally qualified, popular, etc democratic candidates, one male and one female, I'd probably vote for the female, hoping that she'd be the first female president.

If Mia Love or another qualified woman Republican won, I'd be very happy that the gender barrier was finally broken, shocked that it was a republican who broke it, and otherwise unhappy because a republican won the white house.

Seconding this against the trolling idiocy of this entire thread's purpose for catching progressives out on ... whatever. No gotcha here.

To quote a great(ly terrible) American philosopher?
Quote:
So sad. So sad! So sad indeed. No collusion. What was the question again?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 12:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I vote according to a candidate's record.

Over the years, my ballot has been checked for: Democrat, Conservative, Republican, Independent, Liberal, Communist...
Male, female, transgender...
Gay, straight, bisexual and quite possibly asexual...

What are you so concerned on the person's gender? What are you going to do, if, you vote for a woman and she undergoes a sex change? What if she had pushed for all the legislation you'd been praying and wanting for your entire life? Would you suddenly refuse to endorse her because she was now he?

Yeah, I was fortunate enough to view my mother when it came time to vote. She would only vote Democrat and first for the female candidate of the Dems. If there was no female, she would try going for whoever candidate was a minority. Only after women and minorities were out of the way would she vote for a man. She thought this made her liberal minded. I learned from that, that it is wisest to select the candidate most closely associated with my own beliefs, values and interests.

Oh, I also do not place a vote according to the person's ethnic group or religion/non-religion.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
This wouldn't be a troll thread without you, Tsar. And, for the record you are the only one making personal attacks. You obviously want to be here or you would have ignored this thread.

I am glad you are enjoying it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:23 pm
@Sturgis,
I have never voted for anything other than the Democratic candidate in any national election. Often I hold my nose, but in our system party control is too important.

There have been times I have regretted my vote.

My point in this thread is that "woman" is becoming synonymous with "progressive" in much of our national discussion. This is ridiculous given the fact that women are capable of independent thought.

On a side note, our Representative was Michael Capuano. He did a damn good job and promoted values that most people would consider progressive. He was unseated for having the wrong genitalia.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The post was inspired by the Hillary Clinton thread... where the suggestion seemed to be that more women would lead to a change in policy. This, of course, implies that women equal political liberal.

So you posted this because I was poking the bear? Lol! That's funny!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...unseated for having the wrong genitalia.

So if he underwent a sex reassignment surgery he would win again? Wow! Who knew?

Yeah, he may have lost for other reasons max. It does happen. He served in the 8th for 14 years and has racked up 6 more in the 7th (lines redrawn). Maybe the voters just wanted new blood. You know, someone who could infuse new ideas into the party.

Are you sure that it was genitalia which knocked him down? It seems Ayanna Pressley is a person of color. Don't you wonder if that lead to Capuano only getting 41% of the vote against the 58% Pressley received?

Or is it because she's an Aquarius and he's a Capricorn?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 01:55 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My point in this thread is that "woman" is becoming synonymous with "progressive" in much of our national discussion.

Please cite your sources. I (and very likely most everyone in the world) have literally never heard anyone or anything* make this claim. Republicans have their own personal pandemic of socially, fiscally, racially conservative persons of vagina holding persuasion (AKA self-hating/misogynistic female politicians).

Progressives are progressive because of their political, moral, and ideological beliefs and practices. If you don't hold, preach, follow through on liberal political, moral, and ideological beliefs and practices? You're not progressive.

*I don't believe even Russian propaganda bots have made this assertion either.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Geez Tsar, you seem particularly irritable today, are you getting enough fiber?

I am not here for a fight...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 02:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I will answer your question, but I am here for a conversation that amuses me, or challenges me to think in a new way. I am not here for nastiness. But women equals progressive is pretty easy to defend.

- the assertion that men making laws about abortion is different than women making laws about abortion (in spite of the fact there are many pro-life women).

- the discomfort with men cross examining Ford (in spite of the fact that many women supported Kavenaughs nomination).

- the Woman's March opposes Trump (in spite of the fact many women support Trump).

- the assertion that more female legislators will lead to significantly more progressive legislation

When people talk about "the year of the woman" they are clearly talking about Nancy Pelosi rather than Joni Ernst.
BillRM

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 09:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
LOL who would care about a president possible plumbing and what reason for caring could they have?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2018 11:57 pm
We have a republican party waging a war against women and women's healthcare. It is a crazy situation when in 2012 there is House hearing to talk about contraception. And for some reason the republican chair brought before that committee an entire panel of men to talk about contraception. You're having a panel on women's health. Where are the women? Why would we not have an equal number of women and men? Maybe we should have an entire panel of women.

Published on Jul 30, 2012
Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 01:26 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
- the assertion that men making laws about abortion is different than women making laws about abortion (in spite of the fact there are many pro-life women).

You might think there is a difference, but there is DEFINITELY a difference.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2018 01:37 am
@maxdancona,
I am not certain if my following assertion is correct or not.
I believe there were a great many more women running on the democratic side than there were on the republican side.
If my assertion is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.

1. If my assertion is correct, do you have an explanation to why the democrats had so many more women running for elected office than the republicans?

2. Why are the democrats nominating so many more women than republicans?

3. Why are the republicans nominating so many more men than the democrats?

4. Is it purely coincidental? Or are there specific reasons?
0 Replies