How about some peanut brittle?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 02:29 pm
Yes! Where is it????
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
None for me, the dentist would have a fit. And my friends with school age kids would not thank me - no peanuts allowed.

If i'm going down the road of decadence, let it be chocolate made with fine cocoa. Though i could be tempted by baked cauliflower. Sad, isn't it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 03:31 pm
tragic.

heehee
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 03:34 pm
Baked cauliflower? What kind of an alternative is that???? I have to have some chocolate now!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 03:52 pm
but urs, i lovvvvvve cauliflower - roasted or raw or covered with cheese sauce or baked with a crunchy crust mmmmmmmm. chocolate is fine, but i can always eat more cauliflower than chocolate.

If you're a real chocolate hound, make sure you take some with you to Florida - the stuff they sell in the u.s. is called chocolatey candy bars - it is NOT chocolate.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:03 pm
hi urs: we miss all the good WIENER SPEZIALITEN ! only the empty tins are left...... will be going to germany in 10 days (?) and hope to make it to luebeck to stock up on MARZIPAN at cafe niederegger. hope we'll make it back to vienna before too long. hbg (before we left vienna we went to the music-store in the windmuehlengasse and stocked up on a lot of cd's with good UNTERHALTUNGS-MUSIK: so at least we have some lasting memories of our wonderful visit with you and your family in vienna)
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:21 am
Peanuts are supposed to be good for you. Leave off the salt and they're supposed to lower the risk for type II diabetes.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
Beth, I also love cauliflower. And then some nice chocolate for dessert...

Yes, chocolate in the US is not quite what we are used to. The very first time I visited the US was 1976 - chocolate was some candy bars and Hershey's. But at least the ice cream was good. I remember I could not believe that they didn't have any other chocolate. When my brother moved to the US he made it a point to always know where he could get Lindt chocolate.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:14 am
Loved Van Houton's (sp?) bittersweet. Can't find it anymore. Still remember The Automat's hot chocolate, straight from the lion's mouth. Hershey's with almonds always a mainstay.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 11:54 am
Our chocolate is getting better! I swear! At least we can find good chocolate these days, some of it is even made in the US.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:10 pm
van Houten is now part of 'Barry-Callebaut'.

This group produces some really good brands:

Barry Callebaut products/brands
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:11 pm
littlek, that's true. The situation has really improved since my first visit to the US. And there are wonderful deserts that I am very much looking forward to! BigDice decided he will have key lime pie every day when we are in Florida...

And I love Reese's peanut butter cups!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 02:52 pm
GODIVA chocalates are pretty good. are they not made in the united states? always bought a good supply at the DISCOUNT mall in myrtle beach, but haven't made it to m.b. in the last two years. my wife and i just said that we have to make sure we go again; we like to go in march when we get sick and tired of winter in ontario - november is pretty nice too, but getting back to canada isn't; likely to run into snow between syracuse and watertown. hbg
0 Replies