Pass the chocolate!

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:52 pm
Chocolate has been on and off the good-for-you and bad-for-you lists over the years. At the moment, it's good for you again!

Get a bit of Chocolatey Goodness for your heart's sake.

Some excerps:

stearic acid is an "unusual" saturated fat, as it "does not elevate blood cholesterol levels to the same extent as other saturated fatty acids."

plant-based sterols and stanols, known to inhibit the body's absorption of cholesterol (phytosterols inhibit cholesterol absorption).

magnesium, for bone absorption, muscle relaxation and energy production; copper, for nervous system function; potassium, for the vascular system; and calcium (good for heart and blood pressure).

Flavonoids contribute to platelet (clotting) function, immune system and favorable levels of "bad" low density lipoproteins.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,079 • Replies: 53
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:23 pm
What? No dancing in the streets? No woohooos of delight?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
WOO HOO!!!!!!!http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADgAhEWQjBl*8wwewiSJjwDkildbckV3MxTxLZLd7Hjq4w1wHSiWCnRbaqUnHngWYg9qZJEvF2
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:33 pm
Obviously I had had to much chocolate lately http://fool.exler.ru/sm/wc.gif - but now I'm on my way in the street http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ura.gif
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:34 pm
dancing delightfully while woo hooing

Laughing Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:35 pm
(That's supposed to be the little dancing banana but I can't seem to make it work...)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:39 pm
Well, I read many articles that claimed that health-related advantages of chocolate overweigh its disadvantages (example of the latter is a high caloric content). And I also read that moderate chocolate consumption helps to regulate serotonin level in brain , helping to cope with mild forms of depression. Unfortunately, I do not remember where did I read all this, so no links can be offered.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:41 pm
Ah, there you all are!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:46 pm
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/aaa.gif
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:50 pm
Which would survive under a critical condition; the one with a piece of chocolate, or the one with cookies of the same calories, other things being equal?

My intuition (not testable): The one with chocolate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
hmmm.... you mean like stranded on a snowy mountain top?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 04:06 pm
Or deserted on an island.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:11 pm
when we visited vienna in the fall of 2001 the university of vienna had just released a study that showed that drinking COFFEE is a health benefit! of course, if one visits vienna one realizes that drinking coffee MUST be good for you; the viennese seem to drink it from morning 'til night : black, brown, with lots of milk(melange), with rum, with marillen-liqueur .... how could anything the viennese consume in such quantities not be a health benefit. at home i usually drink no more than about 1 to 2 cups of coffee a day, but in vienna i had at least 4 - 5 cups and did i ever feel good(so that was enough scientific proof for me). i would think that the austrian beer - particularly the dark beer - has similar health benefits. we came back to canada healthier than we had left. that should be proof enough. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:14 pm
i forgot to mention that the viennese also serve it with shaved chocolate - delish... i thought i had forgotten that the subject was CHOCOLATE. hbg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:06 pm
Also, and not unimportantly, the consumption of chocolate adds grace and joy and luxury to life - like art and music and coffee and good conversation and books - and sex.

Let us celebrate the sensual and the delightful!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:37 pm
Hamburger - I read that article about coffee with much the same glee I feel for this cocoa news!

Dlowan - here here! Grace of life. Comfort and peace. Chocolate eating really is sort of an aesthetic experience.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 01:46 pm
Eating too much chocolate could make you depressed. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:03 pm
....speaking of chocolate...... <rummage rummage...>

Ya know, I went to CVS today for my cat's syringes (why do they always laugh at me) and there was a very full, very big easter aisle full of all sorts of chocolate. EXCEPT they didn't have an ounce of dark chocolate anywhere in the store. Very frustrating.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:18 pm
Go to Walgreens and buy Hershey's dark chocolate.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:19 pm
I can't go anywhere right now. Later I'll go to get some real chocolate with like 70% cocoa.... mmmmm. Hershey's doesn't come close.
0 Replies