I don't hate America,i need some help

stford

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:02 pm
I can't understand one thing why people so hate Ameica.I went into debate with europeans about America and they were talking all crap about it ,i just couldn't express how much i love this country with opportunities nd freedom.I need your help,please bring some good ideas about America,link some articles which supports American foreign policy and etc.thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,195 • Replies: 79
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:21 am
Re: I don't hate America,i need some help
stford wrote:
I can't understand one thing why people so hate Ameica.I went into debate with europeans about America and they were talking all crap about it ,i just couldn't express how much i love this country with opportunities nd freedom.I need your help,please bring some good ideas about America,link some articles which supports American foreign policy and etc.thanks

I think you might have come to the wrong place, this place is filled with American hating communist pinko freaks. Very Happy

Welcome to A2K
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:05 am
They hate us because we're arrogant, greedy, and in charge.

But unfortunately, that's how the 'game' of world-affairs is played.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:13 am
Wait around, stford - some sensible answers may yet emerge.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:37 am
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:46 am
You're falling into a trap. Clever people attack the government. We ourselves may love the forms of government and yet hate the people governing. The America you and I love is people and animals and ocean and quiet brooks ad infintum. We can make choices many are not allowed.
The love comes from parents and friends and religion and neighbors. Who has not seen a child, not even your own, that just lit up your life with a laugh? Who has not wondered at the heroism shown by firemen policemen and regular folks on the terrible day when the twin towers went down. Who has not stopped to help an unknown person or been an unknown person to someone who reached out to help.
This is what we love. This is our America.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:46 am
I am an America loving pinko communist freak. Do I have a place in this discussion?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Oops! Forgot my manners stford. Welcome to a2k. I hope I helped.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:07 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I am an America loving pinko communist freak. Do I have a place in this discussion?
Laughing
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:18 am
I love Leon's Second Hand Book store in San Luis Obispo - it's fantastic wandering around the rooms he has (or had, haven't been there for a few years). I'm always reminded of Samuel Johnson "blessed are the booksellers for they are liberal men" and blessed are the second hand dealers because they let you have great books for just a few bucks.

I hope to one day pick up a bargain at Leon's that describes the downfall of Bush and the Republican lizard government and how America recovered its mojo. I want to read how Bush and his cronies were finally deposed by Americans who were sick of the lies, the hypocrisy, the corruption, the artificially created climate of fear and who forced the Democrats to find a spine (even if it had to be grown from stem cells and implanted in each and every Democrat member of Congress). And I want to find it in the section Leon has that is marked "American History" and not "Science Fiction".
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:27 am
What do they "hate" about America?

Freedom? Opportunity? Income? Millions in support to other nations? Our ability to defending other nations when they can't/won't?

Maybe they are just jealous.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:30 am
I can love America while hating the ones destroying it. I am a pinko liberal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:03 am
They think we are fat, arrogent, wasteful, loud, obnoxious, meddling, money grubbing, resource hording pigs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
Well I'm certainly not very enamoured of the US government, but what bewilders me most is the fundamentalist fervour of apparently ordinary people. Very hard to make sense of from the other side of the planet. Confused
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
I think the problem is in your understanding the distinction between loving ones country, freedom and ideals and loving ones government.

Would you prefer no dissent? Nothing negative ever being said about the US government? No information of wrong doing by the government in our name?

Cause THAT is what has earned the pinko commi tag and it is being placed on decent concerned citizens for nothing more than holding their government accountable.

Do you prefer we just all hold hands, close our eyes and sing "Let the Eagle Soar" for the next four years?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
This might help make things a little clearer for you, stford:

http://www.thoughtcrimes.org/mt/archives/002022.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:13 am
I like America
I hate our government.
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that was FUNNY

" The road to hell is paved with Republicans and landscaped with Bush"
:-)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
I suppose any 'anti-american' sentiment in Europe tends to be caused by one or more of the following:

A diametrically opposed possition on Israel/Palestine, the US is very one sided in this conflict, and on the wrong side according to many europeans.

A sense that the US is continually judging and condemning the rest of the world for not living up to standards that they themselves do not. When the US is accused of installing dictators and or propping them up, the charge is more ofthen than not hypocricy. An average person passing himself off as a saint and lecturing others with a holier than though attitude is ofthen more annoying than a complete asshole who claims to be nothing else.

An impression that the US holds the international comunity in contempt, and or considers itself the proper arbiter of international affairs. US opposition to international courts, and the insistance that US citizens not be subject to this courts rulings is one of many thing which reinforces this perception. More recently the Iraq war has also caused US standing in europe to slip. The charge here, wholly appart from the issue of the war itself, is that the US failed to abide by due process in rushing the war without allowing inspections to run their course.

That's pretty much it I think.

Oh, and disliking americans is also trendy in some parts of europe, kind of like american animosity for the french.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
There is a big difference between hating America and hating Americans.

Everyone hates Americans... even Americans hate Americans.

Look at the last election... If you were an American either hated the power hungry republican racist fundamentalists, or the liberal tree-hugging, anti-gun, anti-marriage "pinko commie" democrats.

The election and the follow-up showed that every American hates at least half of his countrymen. Throw in the overlap-- groups that everyone hates, and you probably hate a majority of Americans.

If you say you "love America" you are just saying that you love your little narrow point of view of America. If you are white middle class you like the white middle class view of America. If you are third generation latino American you love a very different America.

We all love ourselves. It's just the "others" we hate.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 01:25 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I like America
I hate our government.
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that was FUNNY

" The road to hell is paved with Republicans and landscaped with Bush"
:-)

Laughing I also like America, but hate its government.
0 Replies