Gore's Old Running Mate more Conservative

SCoates

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:18 pm
au1929 wrote:
SCoates
Do you believe that the founding fathers or anyone else needs the ten commandments to tell them that stealing, killing and, etc., are wrong. Aside from these self evident commandments there are also several that deal with religion only. There is no doubt that the ten commandments is a religious tract

No. Apparently those commandments were for a time when such truths were not so evident. The things we easily accept today, our ancestors faught wars over.

I was just trying to look at the issue, which I believe Panzade and baldimo were discussing, from a birds eye view: chances are the founding fathers tried to incorporate some of their religious beliefs into the government, whether or not they should have.

Personally, I don't believe for my political beliefs to be unaffected by my religious beliefs, otherwise one or the other would not actually be a belief that I hold.

I don't think laws make sense unless they make society better, make people happier in general, or protect that capactity, and it doesn't make sense for me to support that which I do not believe would lead to that end. ...or "those ends."

For example, if a christian wishes for there to be a law against homosexuality, it would only make sense if that law protected the happiness and well-being of homosexuals. Right now that is not what the loudest "christians" actually want. They often simply want control over what they perceive as a threat

I hae to go, so I don't have time to look over that and see if it's jarbled.
0 Replies