Gore's Old Running Mate more Conservative

Baldimo

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:51 am
SCoates wrote:
panzade wrote:
SCoates wrote:
it does seem to me that some non-religious folk want to attack and destroy something that is very American,

I haven't noticed any atheists on a rampage. I 've yet to see a statue to atheism being erected in front of a courthouse. And if christians were a minority in a God-less country I certainly would feel it abhorent to make them recite "One nation, under NO God, with liberty and justice for all..."

My freedom FROM religion is being eroded and that's what's got me worried.

No, atheists are not "on a rampage," but religion has been attacked verbally. I don't mean to make it sound violent, but its principles, or at least application have definitely been brought into question.

Also I presume that both you and au1929 would prefer that religion be removed entirely. Correct me if I misunderstood, but that is how I find my statement accurate.

Are you personally offended by the ten commandments in public? I presume it is merely the principle which bothers you, but in what ways has the incorporation of christianity into America (from its very foundation) failed to accomodate your needs? (That question is not intended as a challenge, I presume you have good answers, and I just want to hear them.)

I would say that for me not being a Christian, it hasn't had any effect on my life at all. I don't want it to be forced in the schools, and I don't want prayer in the schools, but I also don't want it to be forced out of public view. I understand that out nation was founded on the Judua/Christian beleif system, and that is what has made our nation as good as it is. Our laws were written after the 10 commandments and a great majority of our moral code is also founded off of the Judua/Christian beleif system.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
SCoates wrote:
No, atheists are not "on a rampage," but religion has been attacked verbally.

I haven't seen religion per se attacked verbally, but I've seen the imposition of religion on science, teaching and pharmacy prescriptions etc.treated with dismay.
If you have any reputable sources for this verbal attack you speak of, I'd like to see them.

The "application" of religion though, that's a serious matter, for the Constitution clearly forbid all three branches(by inference) from "applying religion" to the citizenry of this nascent country. This after a majority of its citizens had escaped "applied religion" in their native lands.

Keep in mind that "applied religion" also led to genocide commited against the Native population. It wasn't all about land or squaws torturing white men as Hollywood has portrayed it.
By the way SC. I appreciate you giving me a chance to collect my views in such a friendly confine.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:02 am
Baldimo wrote:
I'm guessing that is your biggest gripe is with Christianity.

You've guessed wrong. I have no gripe against Christianity itself, although I pass a jaded eye over Christianity's history and I shudder. I resent the application of Christianity(thanks SC) into everyday life.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
SCoates wrote:

Quote:
Also I presume that both you and au1929 would prefer that religion be removed entirely. Correct me if I misunderstood, but that is how I find my statement accurate.

No not at all. I want religion to remain where it belongs in the houses of worship, in ones heart and in the home. I would like to see people practice what the preach. What I do not want to see is religion interfering with the mechanism of government. As has been said repeatedly what is needed is freedom to practice the religion of our choice and freedom from religion in government.

Note: the ten Commandments placed in the courthouse and I also believe in Texas was the Protestant version. Not the Catholic or Hebrew versions.
In addition the cross is a symbol of Christianity only.
Regarding tyranny of the minority the laws of this nation are and always should be to prevent tyranny by the majority. The majority can always protect itself.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:15 am
Baldimo wrote:
I see atheists on the rampage; they are called the ACLU,
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
au1929 wrote:
Regarding tyranny of the minority the laws of this nation are and always should be to prevent tyranny by the majority. The majority can always protect itself.

Thanks, that was next on the agenda.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:23 am
SCoates wrote:
Also I presume that both you and au1929 would prefer that religion be removed entirely.

No, not me. I'm in awe of the Judeo-Christian moral teachings.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:42 am
To say that the ACLU is 'atheist,' or anti-religious in some way, is laughable.

To say that Christianity hasn't had a bloody, violent history in which millions of people were murdered, is laughable.

To say that America was founded on the Judeo-Christian belief system is laughable. Our founding fathers were extremely careful to seperate their religious beliefs from their political ones; why can't people do the same today? (laziness)

Christianists in this country get attacked because they are always trying to legislate morality into people who don't want it.

We must tread very carefully in the next few years in order to maintain our seperation of Church and state, for there are many who would undo it at the first opportunity....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:47 am
SCoates wrote:
Are you personally offended by the ten commandments in public?

Yes I am, for a couple of reasons

Placing the Ten Commandments in front of a courthouse is meant to imply that the laws of our nation are derived from the Ten Commandments as Baldimo erroneously believes. Nothing could be further from the truth.
American law is based on England's Common law and neither is based on Christianity or the Ten Commandments.

"common law
n. the traditional unwritten law of England, based on custom and usage, which began to develop over a thousand years before the founding of the United States. The best of the pre-Saxon compendiums of the common law was reportedly written by a woman, Queen Martia, wife of a king of a small English kingdom. Together with a book on the "law of the monarchy" by a Duke of Cornwall, Queen Martia's work was translated into the emerging English language by King Alfred (849-899 A.D.). When William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066, he combined the best of this Anglo-Saxon law with Norman law, which resulted in the English common law, much of which was by custom and precedent rather than by written code. By the 14th century legal decisions and commentaries on the common law began providing precedents for the courts and lawyers to follow. It did not include the so-called law of equity (chancery), which came from the royal power to order or prohibit specific acts. The common law became the basic law of most states due to the Commentaries on the Laws of England, completed by Sir William Blackstone in 1769, which became every American lawyer's bible. Today almost all common law has been enacted into statutes with modern variations by all the states except Louisiana, which is still influenced by the Napoleonic Code. In some states the principles of Common Law are so basic they are applied without reference to statute."

The second reason is that I firmly believe there should be no religious icons(church) displayed on government property(state). Thus "public" is the opposite of "private". And private property is protected from the intent of separation of church and state.

The only news item recently that I have qualms about is the drive by the ACLU to remove a tiny cross on the LA county seal. Since California was founded by missions it follows that the cross should be displayed in a non religious, historical context. However, LA county folded. I don't think they had the stomach to fight the challenge.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Christianists in this country get attacked because they are always trying to legislate morality into people who don't want it.

Cycloptichorn

What are those people opposed to them doing? Are they not trying to impose their morality into people who don't want it?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:22 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

What are those people opposed to them doing? Are they not trying to impose their morality into people who don't want it?

That's a really good question and it's something I've been wrestling with.
I ask myself:"Does my non-belief create an imposition on believers...and how does it do that?"
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:55 am
The concept of "non Believers" and rational people is Live and let live." On the other hand the religious fundamental community follows the maxim of "live as I believe" and will do all in it's power to impose their beliefs upon all.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
You are wrong au.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:18 am
au1929 wrote:
The concept of "non Believers" and rational people

I don't like the term rational at all for it's antonym is irrational and I don't consider religious based groups irrational. I prefer reasoned people as in:

"There is a struggle between superstition and reason being fought in our society."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:39 am
Big-screen Imax theaters typically offer lavish visual spectacles with bland and uplifting scripts. Their films are seldom the stuff of controversy. So it was a bit of a shock to learn that a dozen or so Imax theaters in the United States, mostly in the South, have been shying away from science documentaries that might offend Christian fundamentalists. Worse yet, some of those theaters are located in science centers or museums, the supposed expositors of scientific truth for public education..
"Volcanoes of the Deep Sea," depicting the bizarre creatures that flourish near hot, sulfurous vents in the ocean floor, is the current focus of controversy. It was vetted for accuracy by a panel of scientists and was sponsored in part by the National Science Foundation, a government funding agency, and Rutgers University. It raised hackles by suggesting that life on Earth may have originated at these undersea vents..
No one can object if Imax theaters, whether commercial or located in museums, turned down the deep sea film in the belief that it was too boring, as some managers indicated. But it is surely unacceptable for science museums to reject the film in part because some people in test audiences complained that the material was blasphemous. The Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, which made that judgment initially, wisely reversed itself after its cowardice was widely criticized..
The danger in self-censorship by museums is that it will reduce the already tiny world of Imax theaters available for big-screen science documentaries. Producers have a hard time making money as it is. It would be unfortunate if censorship by science museums helped drive them away from topics that might offend
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
It sounds like, for the most part, we're just overlooking each other's views.

For example, the ten commandments are so well known, and were even more prevalent when the nation was founded, it would be improbable that the commandment wasn't at least in the back of the minds of those who made the law not to kill. Some of the commandments were looked to as a template, since many of them present concepts which transcend religion: don't kill, don't steal, don't lie. Though they all, especially the ones I haven't listed, have a certain ammount of subjective relavance (is that a little redundant?).

It sounds to me like both sides are describing an elephant, and just looking at different ends.

Of course, there is always the threat of the extremist minorities, which are also an extreme minority... they just talk louder than the majority.

Anyway, all I mean to say is that I think I understand both sides, and believe that most of the points listed would be more accepted if they were more diplomatic.

No one should be forced to practice religion, but there are certain principles which everyone should abide by, which happen to reflect religion.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
Panzade
OK from now on I will not call people religious fundamentalist. It will be superstitious people. :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
I've never lost a minute of sleep worrying about people like you Coates.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:58 am
SCoates
Do you believe that the founding fathers or anyone else needs the ten commandments to tell them that stealing, killing and, etc., are wrong. Aside from these self evident commandments there are also several that deal with religion only. There is no doubt that the ten commandments is a religious tract
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 11:17 am
Shunnamite just posted this wonderful credo

Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine. ~~Henry S. Haskins

Both sides should keep this in mind.
0 Replies