Some Pharmacists Refuse to Sell Birth Control Products

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
I agree. I'm not a big fan of perpetuating the family rule, but Jeb looks like a much better choice than George. At least he's literate and somewhat curious.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:24 am
When tragedy struck last hurricane season, Jeb transcended party lines with a wonderful touch and a calming sense of control. I'll never forget the press conference he conducted entirely in Spanish. I think it was the best second language ever spoken by an American in that position.
His faux pas in the Schiavo case will trouble many as it should, but many candidates have come back from worse.
I posted this before...but once when Jeb was running(unsuccessfully) against Lawton Childs, his bus pulled up to a street fair where my band was entertaining. He politely approached me and asked if we would let him say a few words. I wasn't happy with giving a Republican free time on OUR stage but we said OK.
One thing I'll never forget. As I shook his hand I was enveloped in a charisma that I hadn't seen since the days of the Kennedys
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:24 am
Let us hope we soon again see a "Burning Bush"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
LOL

Post Script

Ever the politician he thanked us by hiring us for his victory party. Alas, he lost and the function was cancelled.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:27 am
Wink au

panzade, on a personal level, Jeb as well as George might
be charming and charismatic, but George's politics have
brought us nothing but hardship, and somehow I can't
believe Jeb would be more progressiv and advanced than
George.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:29 am
FreeDuck wrote
Quote:
I agree. I'm not a big fan of perpetuating the family rule, but Jeb looks like a much better choice than George. At least he's literate and somewhat curious.

So is my cat. But I wouldn't think that qualifies him to be president.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:37 am
CalamityJane wrote:
and somehow I can't
believe Jeb would be more progressiv and advanced than
George.

I think forum members know me well enough to know that I strive to think outside party lines. My posts on Jeb were just to point out that I consider each candidate seperately.Lord knows Jeb would make a better president in hindsight than Kerry ever could.
That said....it's imperative that the Democrats find a candidate with the conviction to take it all the way.

Sorry about the derail.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:38 am
At this point, I'm just glad Pat Buchanan is out of the picture Wink

Going back to the main topic: Do you think this issue that
pharmacists refuse to fill a prescription for contraceptives
is directly a result of the current government pushing its
christian beliefs?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
I certainly think that they (conservative christian right to lifers) feel that they have the momentum and that "God is in the whitehouse". So it could just be that they feel like now is their chance to go for it, you know.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
emboldened comes to mind

(edited for D'UH spelling)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:55 am
That's the word I was looking for.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:56 am
That seems plausible FreeDuck.

You think so panzade, they were encouraged by the
government?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:34 am
Now is as good a time as any to give it a shot. Makes you wonder what else these self-righteous hypocrites may have up their sleeves.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
My point CJ and Pan is that poor Jesus gets trotted out by every sumbitch to rubber stamp every busllshyt idea these days, so why not mine?

Go for it, BVT! Just hope you can rise from the dead after the IRS gets finished with you. We'd miss you around here!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm
Vein man-I forgot to tell you that i laughed at that post. it was appreciated.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:06 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Yeah, nice try. The IRS, in this case is ruthlessly agnostic.

panzade, I doubt that a female pharmacist would object
to a prescription for contraceptives.

Personal beliefs and
religion cannot interefere. What if the pharmacist of your
choice is a Jehovas Witness and won't fill your prescription
for blood cloagulants, as it is against his religion?

That will be the day, when a pharmacist can make up the
rules. He signed a code of ethics, let him stick to it.

From Prevention.com:
A Matter of Belief
The members of the antiabortion group Pharmacists for Life International say they have every right to make that kind of decision. "Our job is to enhance life," explains the organization's president, pharmacist Karen Brauer, RPh, who first refused to fill prescriptions for some types of birth control pills in 1989. "We shouldn't have to dispense a medication that we think takes lives."

The president of this organization is a woman. I don't agree with it, but it seems to cross gender lines.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
This is probably a group of trolls that no one wants to f*** anyway.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:17 pm
"Our job is to enhance lifes"

That's my favorite phrase out of this article J_B.
Pharmacists dispense pills prescribed by physicians who
determine what's good for their patients. This is a clear
case of overzealous professionals who think they're
more important than they actually are.

My grocer doesn't enhance my life just because he is selling
me produce amongst other things.

Pharmacist Karen Brauer is wrong in her assumption
that she's in charge of the enhancement of our lifes.

Gosh, these people #$#%**
0 Replies

suceress

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:55 pm
I know I'm late in replying to this, but I just found this forum while doing research on pharmacists refusing to give out prescribed medecines.
I thought it was bad enough when I saw a sign up in a doctor's office that the doctors would not prescribe, consult, nor refer on any form of birth control. To me it is just wrong for a pharmacist to refuse to fill a prescription for a customer based on his/her moral judgement of that person. The pharmacist is not a physician. They may not know the customer's situatio, and quite frankly it is none of their business. They are not there to judge people, they are there to perform the service of dispensing medications and maybe advice about substances that may cause bad reactions. It is never appropriate for a pharmacist to lecture the customer about what he/she perceives to be amoral behavior. Making sure the customer won't have a bad reaction from mixing medications is one thing because warning them of that actually is part of the job.
From what I have seen so far there have been female pharmacists who refused to dispense birth control because it is against their religion.
While I think that it's wrong to discriminate against someone based on their beliefs, it is equally wrong for the company to have to suffer monetarily or otherwise because the employee refuses to do their job. In a way dispensing the medicines is a public service. I know people who do not have the internet or computers or the money to order catalogs to get their medicines through mail order. If the employee cannot put aside their bias, they should at least have another employee in the same place who is willing to fill the prescriptions. I also think that if the employee's refusal to do their job starts losing the store money and generating complaints, that the store has the right to fire said employee (not based on their religion, but based on their inability/unwillingness to perform their job).
As for the Karen Brauer person, I'd like to point out that she is not a pharmacist, she is an ex-pharmacist. She got fired from K-Mart or something for refusing to fill a prescription. So now she heads up an organization to try to prevent people from getting fired for refusing to do their jobs.
At http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/14/prescription.bill/ She was quoted saying some really ignorant things.
Specifically:

Quote:
Brauer told Reuters she believes doctors will eventually begin ordering women to abort disabled children, or refuse to treat them after birth.

"They'll force women to kill their children ... It will be like China. It's the next logical step," she told Reuters.

I guess she has a fuzzy logic chip. She is the one wanting to refuse service and take away the women's choices by putting the employees beliefs above the needs of the customer.
Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 03:01 pm
She is as a good many of her kind are a religious Nazi.
0 Replies