Vigilante violence: Death by gossip

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:47 am
We all life in an open minded, well informed society, don't we? Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Vigilante violence: Death by gossip

His assailants believed Paul Cooper was a paedophile, so they beat him to death. But he was innocent, a victim of vigilante violence

By Ian Herbert, North of England Correspondent
23 March 2005

Paul Cooper never found himself short of friends in the area of north Manchester where he grew up. He was known for his devotion to his dog, Blue, an interest in cookery and an optimistic outlook, despite a motorcycle crash that meant he needed a walking stick to get about.

But a positive contribution to community life counts for little when a neighbourhood starts feeding on fears of crime and takes the law into its own hands.

A murder investigation was under way yesterday after a gang of men near Mr Cooper's home at Heywood wrongly convinced themselves he was a paedophile and beat him to death at his flat.

Detectives were forced to stress Mr Cooper's innocence after being hampered in their investigation by locals who are unwilling to give evidence because they believe he was a sex offender.

Mr Cooper's disability hampered his attempts to defend himself against the attack, by several young men, which took place at about 11.45pm on Friday, at his flat in Walton Close, a concrete-clad block of flats near Heywood town centre.

He was subjected to a "brutal and prolonged" attack, detectives say, and was found with serious head injuries in his bathroom. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Fairfield General Hospital.

Despite the police's insistence that Mr Cooper, 40, was an entirely innocent victim of "mistaken identity", the climate of bigotry and vitriol that contributed to his death was still palpable in Heywood yesterday. "Some people deserve to be killed," said a drinker at the Starkey Arms pub before issuing an obscenity about Mr Cooper and his dog.

Greater Manchester Police have come across the same sentiment as they have set about solving the crime. "We are trying to dispel the myth that has developed in the area that Paul was involved in paedophile activities," said Detective Chief Inspector Jeff Mahon of Greater Manchester Police. "We have checked our records and there is no trace of anything of that nature. However, the myth appears to have led to tragic consequences. Paul was a nice lad who did not deserve to die."

Mr Cooper's death appears to reflect the nationwide climate of suspicion and fear being fuelled by growing public concern over crime and punishment.

Rising hostility toward minority groups, clamour for tough sentences against offenders and a sinister desire for retribution are being driven by an increasingly prevalent right-wing agenda.

When the murder of Sarah Payne led the News of the World, four years ago, to publish the names and photographs of 50 people it claimed had committed child sex offences - tapping into anxiety about paedophiles in our midst - protesters circulated a list of 20 alleged sex offenders on the Paulsgrove estate in Portsmouth and proceeded to target them.

In that climate of suspicion, a female registrar was hounded from her home in south Wales because neighbours confused "paediatrician" with "paedophile". A former sea captain from Grimsby, Humberside, who had been cleared of paedophile offences, was murdered after his details were published in the local newspaper.

Mr Cooper's life appears to have been carefree before the vigilantes began targeting him.

Old schoolfriends from St Joseph's secondary, around the corner from his flat, attest to the fact that he was popular. Some say he drank too much in adulthood but he spent most mornings doing chores for his mother and had many friends at the Starkey Arms and Navigation pubs in Heywood, where he drank and was known by many.

His problems started when his brother was convicted of sexual offences. It is unclear whether the brother is still serving a sentence but local people suggest that Paul Cooper became the target of vigilantes some time ago and was on the receiving end of at least one serious attack.

A police spokeswoman confirmed last night that Mr Cooper's brother has been convicted of sexual offences in the past.

As community rumour and counter-rumour became detached from reality, many became convinced that Mr Cooper - not his brother - was the offender. "I used to live in the flat above him and I knew about his brother," said Paul, an associate. "But others didn't. There might have been confusion about them.

"Paul was a good lad. He was liked and didn't deserve this."

"It wasn't the only attack of its kind," said a man who would only be known as Stephen, 42, a former schoolfriend of Mr Cooper's. "There's a halfway house for prisoners at the top of this road and, when word got out that a paedophile was there, a mob hit that place too."

Mr Cooper's mother, Patricia, who suffers from a heart condition, said she could see "no reason" for the attack. "He was an easygoing, friendly man whose disability would have made it virtually impossible for him to defend himself," Mrs Cooper said.

Police said two men in their twenties from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, had been arrested on suspicion of murder. One of the suspects, aged 24, was later released, but the other man, aged 22, was still being questioned last night.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,588 • Replies: 28
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 05:50 am
So the option for him to be armed wasnt even on the table?
Say what you will, Im always gonna elect the other guy to be the statistic
0 Replies

tip

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
Vigilante violence: police know two years before murder
Read it for yourself:

http://www.rbhousing.info/cooper/ha030206.htm
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
Wow, I think few people realize how harmful gossip can be.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
And, as though it would have been ok to beat him to death if he WERE a paedophile....goddammit.

This crap has kind of begun here, too.....vigilantes mobbing homes of paedophiles. Even had politicians involved in it.

No beatings, as far as I know, but still...
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
I thought death by gossip was just a rumor !
0 Replies

tip

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
Quote:
as though it would have been ok to beat him to death if he WERE a paedophile

Not that Detective Chief Inspector Jeff Mahon was that keen on protecting non child sex abusers, having been the officer responsible when the rumours began, http://www.rbhousing.info/cooper/ha030206.htm

Quote:
This crap has kind of begun here, too.....vigilantes mobbing homes of paedophiles. Even had politicians involved in it.

It's called scapegoatism. When they want to distract attention from their own record, the standard is to take the Press Corps on holiday, like Aussie PM John Howard is in Iraq, as we speak (21 Nov 05).

Alternatively, bury bad news by drawing the public's attention to some dreadful problem, like kids not cleaning their teeth properly, child sex abuse, or how Christians are being insulted by the teaching of evolution as if it were fact (works well in the US).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:53 pm
I thought, immediately, of the witch trials when I read this title. Sad sad news......
0 Replies

tip

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:18 pm
So true. You should see England's Sexual Offences Act 2004. We're not allowed to do it in a public place, as if that were a problem, and those under age 16, are not allowed to kiss in public, as if they paid any attention to laws.

I've known a few child sex abusers, one was my friend. They seem to be very self seeking people, who do not recognise they are, or that they have, a problem.

The public hysteria is a distraction. Most child sex abuse is by other children, and when it's by adults, they are usually well known to their victims, an uncle, friend of the family or the like.

A teacher about 30 was sent to prison for assaulting a 15 year old pupil, by taking him on holiday (to Mexico I think). Makes you wonder what the judge was thinking about when he was age 15: His Honour spent all his teenage years reading books on law and jurisprudence, of course he did.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:11 pm
Which is worse, pedophilia or murder?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
Pedophilia is always wrong, murder can be justified (self-defense)......... ?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:26 pm
True, if I accept your definition. "Homicide" is sometimes justified, but murder is, by definition, always unjustified.
Just semantics, I know.
But pedophilia (as pederasty, not a non-sexual love of children) is ALWAYS wrong!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:37 pm
It's a frightening story. Shows it could happen to most anybody.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:31 pm
or anywhere. it reminded me of a story long forgotten by everyone except Asian-Americans, probably, but here's a recap:

June 19, 1982 - Vincent Chin attends his bachelor party at Fancy Pants, a strip club in suburban Detroit. Autoworkers Ronald Ebens and his stepson, Michael Nitz, enter the bar. Ebens taunts Chin, who he mistakenly thinks is Japanese and blames for the ailing U.S. auto industry. A fight ensues. After the fight is broken up, Chin leaves the club. Twenty minutes later, Ebens and Nitz find Chin in front of a McDonald's. Ebens knocks Chin down and beats him with a baseball bat.

June 23, 1982 - Vincent Chin dies as a result of his injuries.

March 16, 1983 - Wayne County Judge Charles Kaufman finds Ebens and Nitz guilty of manslaughter after a plea bargain and sentences each of them to three years probation, a $3,000 fine, and $780 in court fees. The prosecuting attorney is not present and neither Chin's mother nor any witnesses is called to testify.

http://www.asianweek.com/061397/feature.html

after that, they were tried on federal civil rights & conspiracy charges, but in the end, neither served any jail time. let's hope they throw the book at the culprits in this UK case.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 02:05 am
Pedophilia is worse, because your damaging the life of a child or maybe even killing him/her.
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:55 am
Murder, which is wrongful[/i][/b] killing, is worse. There is minimal evidence that experiences after our third birthdays, and no evidence that experiences after our seventh birthdays, make any difference to the personality of the adult.

AngeliqueEast says child sex abuse is worse. I apologise for pulling rank: as a victim of sex child abuse, I know murder is worse than child sex abuse.

If the sex abuse kills, that is murder. You don't call shooting someone in the head at point blank range a "fire arms violation," do you?

Child sex abuse is horrible: it leaves you feeling powerless and guilty. You just "know" if you report it you will be blamed.
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:21 am
yitwail wrote:
after a plea bargain and sentences each of them to three years probation, a $3,000 fine, and $780 in court fees [ . . . ] but in the end, neither served any jail time. let's hope they throw the book at the culprits in this UK case.

Officially we don't have plea bargaining in England and Wales, except that a guilty plea gets you one third off your penalty.

Not sure about Scotland. Plea bargaining is going on all the time in Northern Ireland, owing to politics (Irish unity, IRA, etc).

The culprit, if found guilty, will get Life Imprisonment, the mandatory penalty for murder in the UK. Unless it's serious, like multiple murder, Life Imprisonment means 9 years in prison, the remainder at liberty on licence. You can be recalled to prison if you do something moderately wrong.

Civil liberties organisations in the UK oppose plea bargaining. I can see why.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:33 am
prosecutors in the UK, unlike District Attorneys in the US, aren't elected, are they? over here, they tout their conviction rate when running for reelection, and plea bargains raise the conviction rate.
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
JLNobody wrote:
. . . murder is, by definition, always unjustified. But pedophilia (as pederasty, . . .).

Faced with someone who knows the English language as well as you, I may as well come out as homophobic!

[ For the benefit of those who do not eat dictionaries, it's true, but I mean it as a phobia - something I know is irrational - if I see men kissing, I look the other way, and I don't give monkey's what you do in your private life. ]
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:13 am
yitwail wrote:
prosecutors in the UK, unlike District Attorneys in the US, aren't elected, are they?

No, prosecutors in the UK are not elected, as you say. Like the Director General of the BBC, they are appointed by the UK central government, which usually waits until retirement to replace office holders with someone more to their liking.

The current UK DPP - Director of Public Prosecutions - pops up in the media every-so-often, to remind us that a high acquittal rate, is not a bad thing, if those defendants are innocent. Sound like he could not say that in most parts of the US, and remain in post?

yitwail wrote:
over here, they tout their conviction rate when running for reelection, and plea bargains raise the conviction rate.

Democracy has its limits, as you say. Can't help thinking that limit is stupidity (of voters).

These statistics are far too easy to fiddle, and too many people are taken in by (for example) a government that has cut the cost of its own workers, by redefining post office clerks as no longer government employees. Looks to me like government in the US and UK are up to this sort of thing all the time.

The 20th Century had only one war between democracies (UK & US v Finland, 1944). Democracy has a good record, but it is by no means perfect.
0 Replies