Vigilante violence: Death by gossip

yitwail

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:34 am
tip wrote:

Democracy has its limits, as you say. Can't help thinking that limit is stupidity (of voters).

don't forget voter apathy. Confused
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
Tip, I know the feeling. I don't like to see men kissing in public, but I also look the other way when I see boys and girls (as happened in a public place recently) "making out." I do not like PUBLIC sexuality of any kind. To me sex is, at its heart, an extremely private (intimate) activitiy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:37 pm
It matters not to debate which is worse.

They are both wrong, and one crime does not justify another.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
Agreed!
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
Quote:
It matters not to debate which is worse.

Yes it does. You can't send people to prison for parking violations.

No one is saying child sex abuse is acceptable, but other crimes are worse. Most favour the death penalty for murder, and for killing a police officer, I believe most would say one killing is enough.

Does one incident of child sex abuse, unless it does kill, merit the death penalty?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:05 pm
How does that relate to this thread?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:51 pm
Tip, I agree that to murder someone is not as bad as the sexual misuse of a child. Children who are sexually abused suffer consequences (I won't describe an incident where an "abused" child says he enjoyed the event because that is not the rule), but they usually survive. Murder victims do not. Nevertheless, we should not make the comparison because it tends to minimize the horror of the child sexual abuse. And this applies to rape as well.
0 Replies

tip

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
Quote:
we should not make the comparison because it tends to minimize the horror of the child sexual abuse. And . . . rape . . ..

You think the average person cannot cope with more than 2 or 3 severities of crime?

I have the horrible feeling that you're right.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:34 pm
Tip, the first sentence of my last post should have indicated that murder (most often) is worse than most instances of child sexual abuse.
0 Replies