This is your brain on stress:

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
"When a baby receives proper care, the limbic system causes satisfaction and pleasure to be associated with the parents. When the child is threatened or uncomfortable (for example, wet or hungry), the limbic system is flooded with cortisol and adrenaline. This flooding is part of the fight or flight response, which is an innate survival mechanism in the brain. The parents' efforts to soothe and meet the baby's needs help to override this and calm the limbic system. The association of pleasure and safety/relief in the brain comprises trust.

As the child's brain grows and matures (full maturation takes place at about age 20), another part of the brain, the pre-frontal cortex develops. This part of the brain is responsible for judgment, reason, focus, and cause-and-effect thinking. Parents' ability to help calm the limbic system in the lower brain enables the higher brain to kick in. Dr. Daniel Goleman, author of "Emotional Intelligence" says that something has to override the lower brain's natural response to stress/perceived threats in order for the flood of stress chemicals to not overwhelm the brain.

Children who have had major breaks in bonding or who have been abused or neglected have brains that are chronically on overload. They have habituated to the threat mode, and this can be triggered by something as simple as being told to sit down or stop throwing rocks. They cannot, on their own, override their natural stress response. In fact, they are easily over stimulated because the brain has not learned to let the frontal cortex kick in to self-regulate. This is why kids in survival mode don't feel gratified and simply satisfied with receiving love and gifts."

I came across this article (and others like it) while researching some information for my "Separation Anxiety" thread.

A lot of what I'm reading falls heavily into a lot of the strange, hair-trigger behavior I see with Mo and I'm thinking some good stress busting strategies for all occasions might help get us out of survival mode.

How do/did you calm down your pre-schooler when they went on a big irrational thinking binge?

All advice appreciated!

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,656 • Replies: 65
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:45 am
Mo might be a bit young for this - then again, maybe not,
but when little Jane was on overdrive, I colored with her.
There are colorbooks available with different pattern, similar to a kaleidoscope, that are soothing for children. An actual
kaleidoscope can do the same...

Quote:
The Kaleidoscope can be a tool or resource for relaxation and meditation. One's mind can be put into an imaginary world while looking through the scope. Some doctors and psychiatrists have been known to let their patients use a scope to calm and relax themselves. The kaleidoscope can relieve tension or stress. It can give the imagination a great and wonderful work-out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
Hey boomer, I don't actually have any suggestions but, for the second time this week, I want to recommend a book. It's called The General Theory of Love. I'm off to find the authors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
Hmmm. (Interesting stuff!!)

Sozlet definitely does the irrational thinking binges.

I think some of the core issues might be different, but I'll go ahead and give my thoughts in case it's useful.

I guess it depends on context. Like I mentioned the thing where she wanted to have red hair like the little mermaid -- she was seriously upset! I was kind of offhandedly saying "no", and she was just heartbroken. Full-throttle tears/ wailing. In that kind of a situation, just to get her through it, I'll usually say something like, "OK, we can talk about it more later." Like, even if the answer is absolutely NO, recognize that her brain is not at a place where we can have a rational discussion, and just table it.

Often it never comes up again, anyway.

Trying to think of other situations where she's done that -- because I don't think my response is always the same. For example, (as I said in some other context recently), I don't want to give the message that if she has a fit, she'll get what she wants. So sometimes I just decide it's not worth iy. But I try not to make a practice of it.

If I'm saying no, I try to get the reasoning in before the no, to get the reasoning there before her brain goes kerplooey. Like, say she wants to bring a large stuffed animal with her to the playground. I say, well, we're going to be playing in the playground and I don't think he'll be able to keep up with us. And I don't want to forget and leave him there. And he would be sad if we just leave him in the car. How about if we bring pink rabbit, who will fit in her pocket?

Distraction/ alternatives is a big one to -- if you can avoid saying no altogether, all the better. This won't work for this reason, but hey, how 'bout this?

I mean there usually IS a good reason why we say no, and that's part of the big picture, I think, not to be arbitrary about it. To be able to use the good reasons as part of the process.

Also natural consequences -- if sozlet's adamant that she doesn't want to wear a coat, I'll say fine, go outside for a minute. Let her out, she gets cold, she says oh, OK.

Sometimes none of this works, and then I think I just let her cry, hug her, tell her I'm sorry she's so sad, and wait for it to subside.

I'll keep thinking because I think there are still more extreme cases I haven't covered yet.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:32 pm
A kalidescope is a fun idea - and one I'd have never thought of. Thanks CJane.

Along the same lines I was reading about kid yoga. I think I'll give them both a try.

Thanks for the recommend Free Duck. I'm working up a reading list so I'll add this one to it.

Yeah, soz, it really is interesting stuff. Evidentely these elevated levels of cortisol remain with a child throughout their life.

When Mo first moved in a friend gave me a copy of "Parenting With Love and Logic". That book talks about a lot of the same things you mention.

Distractions/alternatives and natural consequences all figure heavily in their approach. What I've found is that a lot of times, for us, this approach leads to more stress as Mo tries to "pick" or refuses to change his mind about.... whatever.

Kind of like the wheelbarrow thing I was talking about the other day.

I know that with this approach the "it will get worse before it gets better" rule applies but I'm not sure how far to push it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:23 am
In my experience the melt downs come when the world is too large and overwhelming to deal with. Mind, the world doesn't have to be hostile, just large and complicated while the child is weak and helpless.

Slightly off topic: Does anyone else remember the earthquake in Mexico City a number of years ago. Several hospitals collapsed completely, but five (?) days after the quake a number of newborns were found alive in the debris.

I've wondered what happened to those babies--to be born, swaddled, and then left to cry and cry and cry with no one coming.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:49 am
Oh, how sad about the babies. It almost seems like permanent emotional damage would be unavoidable in that situation, but maybe not. Kids are resilient creatures.

Along the same lines as what soz and Noddy said, meltdowns in my house happen almost exclusively under three circumstances. 1) They are over-tired. 2) They are hungry. 3) They are over-stimulated. I try hard to make sure they don't get there but sometimes it's unavoidable. I use all of the techniques sozobe mentions when it does happen. For my older child (closer to Mo's age) I have started explaining to him why he is melting. "You're tired, honey, that's why this is making you so sad. If you take a nap (or go to sleep for the night) you'll wake up happy." Sometimes, when he's beyond control I just send him to his room. He cries himself to sleep and it doesn't usually take more than a minute. And he really does wake up happy.

I might have more ideas later. There are times when I've been pretty creative with humor to change the dynamic, but I'll have to remember an example.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:25 am
Seen this site, Boomer?

http://www.childtrauma.org/

Perry's article - something with states become traits in it - is a classic.

Edit: here 'tis:

http://www.childtrauma.org/ctamaterials/states_traits.asp

More:

http://www.childtrauma.org/CTAMATERIALS/neuros~1.asp
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:30 am
It was your comment about a blanket or handy object to shut out the world that led me to this question, Noddy!

A lot of the things I've been reading suggest even small breaks like a parent being hospitalized, and even things like overstimulating babies, can have a big effect on the levels of stress hormones and cause the brain to wire itself up differently.

For obvious reasons they don't want to traumatize babies for research so most of this work has been done on children who were in orphanages, babies who were separated from parents for a variety of reasons, so maybe the "earthquake babies" or say, "Baby 81" - the tsunami baby are being studied.

The researchers check the kid's hormone levels over a period of time. They've found that kids who have experienced these types of trauma have raised levels of cortisol and that they are (as adults) more likely to die from stress related illnesses.

Hi Free Duck. You know, I'm thinking maybe I ought to go back and reread that book as these techniques seem to work so well for others in calming their child down.

Bath tub swims sometimes work to calm things down at our house. Maybe I need to get back into the swim habit -- I fell out of the habit after the nasty lifeguard incident -- it took Mo forever to calm down after that thing and I haven't been willing to risk it again.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:57 am
CJ – that is great with coloring and explains something to me. Recently I brought my children to a Kid’s Fest. There was so much stimulation, noise, fun, etc. We went by one booth that had some coloring pages and kids’ table and chairs set up. They really wanted to stop and sit and color. With all the noise and activity going on, I thought it was peculiar that they wanted to do something that they do so often at home. But I figured what the heck, if it was they want to do. They sat quietly for about 15 or 20 minutes and just colored. So they must have known better than mom what they really needed. My youngest is two so I guess at least the coloring aspect can work with even pretty young children.

My two year old had this sort of melt down recently. I was shocked and wondering how to handle this as this is not typical of her at all. We had just entered a restaurant for lunch and she started screaming. She kept calling for daddy so I telephoned him and it seemed to some what calm her. We then sat her down with some crayons and coloring pages and that also seemed to calm her. It seems distracting her with something else helps.

The coat thing, sozobe, I have done similar with my daughter. She will insist on not wearing her hood or zip up her jacket – so I say fine. Two minutes after getting outside she realizes that she wants to be zipped up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:04 am
Thanks, dlowan - I'll head over to read those right away.

We color a lot but I have never used coloring books or pages. Maybe a more structured coloring page would be good.... requires a bit more concentration perhaps....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
Music also works. There are some cds that come with the Baby Mozart series that are particularly soothing. When we are in need of some calming therapy I often play these cds and wrap whichever one is melting in a blanket.

Also, sometimes just being calm and taking control yourself can help. I've noticed that if I adopt a super-calm in control voice and begin to command the situation, they almost seem relieved. Kind of like "ok, I see the problem, this is what we will do, let's get a drink of water and sit down with a blanket, etc..." Just one of many things that works for me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
Wow dlowan, that Perry article was fascinating. A bit over my head in many parts but so much of it reminded me of things I've thought and things I've posted since all of this really started up with Mo -- back when I started the "Separation Anxiety" thread.

When a traumatized child is in a state of alarm (because they are thinking about the trauma, for example) they will be less capable of concentrating, they will be more anxious and they will pay more attention to 'non-verbal' cues such as tone of voice, body posture and facial expressions

I'm wondering if this "thinking about the trauma" is what has been going on and Mo has just figured out how to clue me into his thoughts. This whole thing really started after that crazy visit from his mom -- that's when I started really questioning "typical" and made the decision to talk to his doctor about his behavior....

In a very real sense, traumatized children exhibit profound sensitization of the neural response patterns associated with their traumatic experiences. The result is that full-blown response patterns (e.g., hyperarousal or dissociation) can be elicited by apparently minor stressors.

Like going to the carwash with his mom?
Maybe like wanting to be helped out of the wheelbarrow?

despite being distanced from threat and the original trauma, the stress-response apparatus of the child's brain is activated again and again

This is due to the fact that, simply stated, the child is in a persisting fear state (which is now a 'trait'). Furthermore, this means that the child will very easily be moved from being mildly anxious to feeling threatened to being terrorized.

.... and how things escalate?

Children who have been traumatized and have developed a 'sensitized' hyperarousal or 'sensitized' dissociative pattern will often use this freezing mechanism when they feel anxious. This is often labeled oppositional-defiant behavior. The child will feel anxious due to an evocative stimulus to which their sensitized neural systems are reacting (e.g., a family visit). They are often not aware of the evocative nature of a given event, but what they do experience -- deeply -- is anxiety. At this point, they tend to feel somewhat out of control and will cognitively (and often, physically) freeze. When adults around them ask them to comply with some directive, they may act as if they haven't heard or they "refuse". This forces the adult -- a teacher, a parent, a counselor -- to give the child another set of directives. Typically, these directives involve more threat. The adult will say, "If you don't do this, I will...". The nonverbal and verbal character of this 'threat' make the child feel more anxious, threatened and out of control. The more anxious the child feels, the quicker the child will move from anxious to threatened, and from threatented to terrorized

... and maybe explain some of the new reacations to his family?
.... and to why time out and cause/effect things don't work so well for us?

There are a number of clear implications of a neurodevelopmental approach to the maltreated child (Appendix I: Key Points: Clinical Work with Maltreated Infants). The first relates to the misunderstanding of resilience. We often hear "Children are resilient," or "They'll get over it, they didn't even know what was happening." It is not uncommon for adults to relate the traumatic events to clinicians in the presence of the child as if they were invisible. Often, recounting the event, the adults will describe how the traumatic event was terrifying for them, but as they describe the child's reactions they frequently misunderstand the child's unattached, non-reactive behaviors as 'not being effected' rather than the 'surrender' response. This pervasive, destructive view of caretaking adults in a young child's life exacerbates the potential negative impact of trauma. Of course, children 'get over it' -- they have no choice. Children are not resilient, children are malleable. In the process of getting over it, elements of their true emotional, behavioral, cognitive and social potential are diminished -- some percentage of capacity is lost, a piece of the child is lost forever.

Persistence of the destructive myth that 'children are resilient' will prevent millions of children, and our society, from meeting their true potential

I imagine that this is what the counselor meant by "you can only go forward".
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:22 pm
Boomer--

You are definitely teachable.

I'm a big fan of water therapy. Does Mo want to go back?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
boomerang wrote:
Maybe a more structured coloring page would be good.... requires a bit more concentration perhaps....

Sometimes the fact that are borders/limits can be helpful. Not always, but there are moments where freeform colouring/drawing can just be too stressful for some little people. I've had little verbal people tell me that they JUST CAN'T draw something, and burst into tears - a colouring book has pulled them back out of that (or prevented it when I've been paying attention to the direction things are going). Colouring inside borders seems to be comforting sometimes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:14 pm
Boomer--

How do your dogs feel about being brushed? Brushing dogs calms adults and dogs have a vested interest in serene packmates.

I'm starting to visualize a Rube Goldberg sort of lair for Mo--which is damn intrusive of me because he should plan and build his sanctuary himself--with the help of loving, local adults.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:12 pm
Hurrah for teachablitlty!

Mo has suggested swimming a time or two. We probably do need to go back. It is something we both enjoyed and it is very relaxing when crackpot lifeguard isn't around.

My dog Bakker loves to be brushed. She's old and sickish and the meds she takes make all of her hair fall out and she can't scratch. She'd be brushed all day. She has a tendency to be wary of Mo but maybe they could connect through brushing. Good idea.

That's so funny that you mention Rube Goldberg - Mo's latest obsession in "contraptions". He has been devising all kinds of interesting things. We have always joked that he would grow up to be a prop-comic and his contraptions are really just another extension of that "nothing is what it is" ability he has.

eBeth, that is a great point about coloring books. There are a million coloring pages available on the net - I'll print some off and see how it goes.

Or... in photoshop I can make my own coloring pages! It might be fun for him to color things he knows.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
boomerang wrote:
Wow dlowan, that Perry article was fascinating. A bit over my head in many parts but so much of it reminded me of things I've thought and things I've posted since all of this really started up with Mo -- back when I started the "Separation Anxiety" thread.

When a traumatized child is in a state of alarm (because they are thinking about the trauma, for example) they will be less capable of concentrating, they will be more anxious and they will pay more attention to 'non-verbal' cues such as tone of voice, body posture and facial expressions

I'm wondering if this "thinking about the trauma" is what has been going on and Mo has just figured out how to clue me into his thoughts. This whole thing really started after that crazy visit from his mom -- that's when I started really questioning "typical" and made the decision to talk to his doctor about his behavior....

In a very real sense, traumatized children exhibit profound sensitization of the neural response patterns associated with their traumatic experiences. The result is that full-blown response patterns (e.g., hyperarousal or dissociation) can be elicited by apparently minor stressors.

Like going to the carwash with his mom?
Maybe like wanting to be helped out of the wheelbarrow?

despite being distanced from threat and the original trauma, the stress-response apparatus of the child's brain is activated again and again

This is due to the fact that, simply stated, the child is in a persisting fear state (which is now a 'trait'). Furthermore, this means that the child will very easily be moved from being mildly anxious to feeling threatened to being terrorized.

.... and how things escalate?

Children who have been traumatized and have developed a 'sensitized' hyperarousal or 'sensitized' dissociative pattern will often use this freezing mechanism when they feel anxious. This is often labeled oppositional-defiant behavior. The child will feel anxious due to an evocative stimulus to which their sensitized neural systems are reacting (e.g., a family visit). They are often not aware of the evocative nature of a given event, but what they do experience -- deeply -- is anxiety. At this point, they tend to feel somewhat out of control and will cognitively (and often, physically) freeze. When adults around them ask them to comply with some directive, they may act as if they haven't heard or they "refuse". This forces the adult -- a teacher, a parent, a counselor -- to give the child another set of directives. Typically, these directives involve more threat. The adult will say, "If you don't do this, I will...". The nonverbal and verbal character of this 'threat' make the child feel more anxious, threatened and out of control. The more anxious the child feels, the quicker the child will move from anxious to threatened, and from threatented to terrorized

... and maybe explain some of the new reacations to his family?
.... and to why time out and cause/effect things don't work so well for us?

There are a number of clear implications of a neurodevelopmental approach to the maltreated child (Appendix I: Key Points: Clinical Work with Maltreated Infants). The first relates to the misunderstanding of resilience. We often hear "Children are resilient," or "They'll get over it, they didn't even know what was happening." It is not uncommon for adults to relate the traumatic events to clinicians in the presence of the child as if they were invisible. Often, recounting the event, the adults will describe how the traumatic event was terrifying for them, but as they describe the child's reactions they frequently misunderstand the child's unattached, non-reactive behaviors as 'not being effected' rather than the 'surrender' response. This pervasive, destructive view of caretaking adults in a young child's life exacerbates the potential negative impact of trauma. Of course, children 'get over it' -- they have no choice. Children are not resilient, children are malleable. In the process of getting over it, elements of their true emotional, behavioral, cognitive and social potential are diminished -- some percentage of capacity is lost, a piece of the child is lost forever.

Persistence of the destructive myth that 'children are resilient' will prevent millions of children, and our society, from meeting their true potential

I imagine that this is what the counselor meant by "you can only go forward".

Boomer - when we read that article some years ago, everyone I work with, and the group I was doing my infant mental health degree with, went "AHAAAAAAAA"!

It was epiphanous - it made such absolute sense of all that we had seen in the kids (and adults) we work with - most of whom are very traumatised.

Louise Newman, a very prominent NSW psychiatrist and researcher and infant mental health specialist proudly refers to herself as "the baby snatcher" because she advocates so strongly for babies to be removed from abusive or extremely neglectful homes NOW - not years later, after god knows how many futile efforts to assist the family, when the kids are are almost irrevocably damaged, and will very likely go on to repeat the abuse with THEIR kids - or to REALLY invest in intensive and long-term assistance to these families - not the piecemeal crap that currently exists in this country, at least.

I would say "yes" to all your wonderings above. Remember, Mo is in an optimal situation.

Also remember that he has unconscious memories of his experiences - (along with conscious ones that he may also have) - they are embedded, as it were, in his mind and body - this means he may well become traumatised by triggers that neither he, nor you, can make sense of.

This is why I advised you to back up in the wheelbarrow incident - not that anyone but you and he knew whether he was in a truly overwhelmed state then, so only your "gut" (or attuned) feelings would know and be your guide. The only thing with gut feelings is to be sure we are not reacting to some of our own projections.

Think of this - some babes had their wee heart rates monitored when they had their first baths - in loving, competent hands. Their wee heart rates went up to unbelievable heights - this experience was enormously stressful to them.

Imagine an early life of such stresses in incompetent, unattuned, or outright abusive hands. Then add in abuse, neglect, or a violent situation, or maternal depression.....

Makes Abu Ghraib seem a pretty accurate comparison, no?

This is why this field is my passion - though I work with toddlers up, mostly, rather than babies - attempting to repair relationships and what we can of trauma.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:34 pm
It is a very eye opening article. I'm hoping to get to the second one this afternoon.

After reading pages upon pages of very "touchy/feely" articles it is really so much better to see something that approachs this from a scientific standpoint. I doubt that it changes one single thing about how to best treat the problem but, for me, it raises the awareness of where we are starting from - and why things matter.

It is very interesting that you mention baths. Mo loves baths and swimming until someone touches his head. He does not like to have his head touched. Haircuts have always been a big problem.

Since his self inflicted Christmas haircut and my chop job on it trying to even it up, a haircut has been a big item on our to do list. We went to several shops that cater to kids but the minute someone touched his head he would freak. We'd leave. A few weeks later we would try again with similar results.

This week I hit on the idea of taking him to F, the guy who does my hair; someone I've been friends with for a long time. I think Mo sensed that this is someone I knew and trusted and after a bit of resistence he let F cut his hair.

I had forgotten Mo has a little heart shaped birthmark on the back of his head where the hair grows in much lighter. (It was like being in a time machine to see that heart again.) It has led to a lot of conversations about "when you were a baby" and he really seems to be delighting in these talks about our shared history.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:50 pm
Coloring makes sense--you c-o-n-c-e-n-t-r-a-t-e to stay within the lines and the rest of the world goes away.
0 Replies