Pressure building for national language

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:57 pm
au1929 wrote:

Maybe that would give people the desire to learn the language of the land. Which I believe is English not Spanish.

The incentive is already there. Isn't it?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 08:13 pm
SCoates wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Maybe that would give people the desire to learn the language of the land. Which I believe is English not Spanish.

The incentive is already there. Isn't it?

It is? Care to explain what that incentive is?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 08:19 pm
Quite a lot of Spanish speaking people have a strong desire to learn english. The fact that almost everything is written in english and english is by far the most common language are incentives. Without knowing the language there are far less people you can communitcate with.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:29 pm
I wish it were so , but here in Florida there's not much incentive for those that move into the Latin community.
However, it's always been that way for first generation immigrants. Why, I met an Italian woman that came here in 1938 and she didn't speak much English. The good news is that second generation immigrants are almost all fluent in English, as our school systems do a good job in assimilating various cultures.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
Also, keep in mind this tid bit:

"Several surveys show that there is a definite indication that literacy is a problem all over Florida. For instance the State Adult Literacy Survey, conducted in 1992 in Florida, showed that 21-23 percent of the state's adults demonstrated skills in the lowest level (Level 1). Residents with Level 1 literacy skills can't read a bus schedule, fill out job and Social Security card applications or figure out the total cost of items on an order form."

Seems Americans aren't real keen on learning English either.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:47 pm
panzade wrote:
Also, keep in mind this tid bit:

"Several surveys show that there is a definite indication that literacy is a problem all over Florida. For instance the State Adult Literacy Survey, conducted in 1992 in Florida, showed that 21-23 percent of the state's adults demonstrated skills in the lowest level (Level 1). Residents with Level 1 literacy skills can't read a bus schedule, fill out job and Social Security card applications or figure out the total cost of items on an order form."

Seems Americans aren't real keen on learning English either.

Do you have any newer studies or do you only have access to ones that are 12 years old? Just asking to see if there has been any improvement.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:50 pm
Chances are good there's been no improvement but I'll check
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:16 am
panzade wrote:

Happy now Walter?

Totally, fully satisfied; I couldn't be any happier at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 01:55 am
Giggling.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 06:00 am
Re: Pressure building for national language
au1929 wrote:
What are your thoughts regarding the making of English the official language of the US.

Judging by the historical record, it's superfluous. America has assimilated many waves of immigrants speaking foreign languages. I see no reason to expect that this wave should be different.

Judging by the US constitution, the United States has a limited government of enumerated powers -- and those enumerated powers don't include the establishment of a national language. (The Supreme Court may still uphold it, true to its tradition of grabbing power through abusing the Commerce Clause.)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 07:13 pm
Thomas wrote:
au1929 wrote:
What are your thoughts regarding the making of English the official language of the US.

Judging by the historical record, it's superfluous. America has assimilated many waves of immigrants speaking foreign languages. I see no reason to expect that this wave should be different.

Judging by the US constitution, the United States has a limited government of enumerated powers -- and those enumerated powers don't include the establishment of a national language. (The Supreme Court may still uphold it, true to its tradition of grabbing power through abusing the Commerce Clause.)

That doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
Baldimo wrote:

Of course not. It only means that you need to persuade roughly 75% of Americans of your opinion so you get the majorities necessary to amend the constitution. You then get a constitutional amendment that, judging by the historical record, probably won't do any good. But sure, it's possible.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
Gracias a Dios
... that aint gonna happen.

Next topic.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Of course not. It only means that you need to persuade roughly 75% of Americans of your opinion so you get the majorities necessary to amend the constitution. You then get a constitutional amendment that, judging by the historical record, probably won't do any good. But sure, it's possible.

Why does it seem so unlikely that a majority of people would vote for this.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:25 am
People would vote for it if:

A) They were convinced that the lack of a constitutional definition of
English as the official language is causing grave and immediate problems.

B) They were clearly shown how such a definition would eradicate those
problems.

C) They were convinced that such a definition would not spawn as many,
if not more, problems than it would solve.

So far, I have seen nothing that satisfies these conditions.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:30 am
I agree with George's questions.

But I still think that a national language even would be more difficult to obtain than an official language.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
Walter
National language, official language is just a matter of Semantics. Call it what you will, the quest is for English to be recognized as the language of the US.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:36 am
I think there is a distinct difference.

I am all in favor of an official language, not so keen on a national language.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:37 am
au1929 wrote:

National language, official language is just a matter of Semantics.

As far as 'national' language is used until now: definately NOT.

(All, really all countries with a National Language have at least one [mostly more] official languages as well.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:45 am
McG/ Walter

Somehow the distinction escapes me.
0 Replies