Pressure building for national language

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 01:29 pm
kickycan wrote:
That article says California has the most languages spoken with 207. Bullshit.

Quote:
March 8, 2005

Linguistic Diversity Underscores Importance of a Common Language

New report finds 322 languages spoken in the United States

The United States remains a nation of many languages united under one common tongue, according to a new national report by the U.S. English Foundation. The study also found that the number of languages spoken ranges from 207 in California to 59 in Wyoming, and that Los Angeles County leads the nation with 135 languages spoken at home.

Source

You can even look, how many are spoken in Queens ...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 01:56 pm
What's wrong with the status quo?

Street signs are in English (but everyone knows what "Stop" means anyway). Government documents are offered in any language that is significant in the community where they are relevant.

People recognize that English is important as the language spoken by most citizens in the U.S. , but that Spanish is also spoken by a significant number of people.

It seems like the English only folks are making a big deal to push their agenda when there is no real problem with.

Fortunately this national language thing will never get going. Did you notice the amount of Spanish in the last presidential election? Both candidates had Spanish websites and spoke Spanish during campaign speeches.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
Actually, there are only a few countries, which have a national language.

('Irish' is the national language in Ireland, 'English' the second official; 'Urdu' it is in Pakistan; 'Filipino' in the Philippines; 'Bahasa Indonesia' in Indonesia .... .)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
ebown-p wrote.
Quote:
Did you notice the amount of Spanish in the last presidential election? Both candidates had Spanish websites and spoke Spanish during campaign speeches.

Yes, and it's for the same reason that they are reluctant to police our southern border. They would sell their souls for a vote.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:54 pm
Au,

This is a Democracy damn it!

Do you really think that the votes of English speakers should count more than Spanish Speaking citizens?

Government by the people, of the people for the people means that the politicians should speak the language of their constituents. A heck of a lot of American citizens speak Spanish.

How is speaking to your constuents "selling your soul for a vote"? In a democracy, if you don't represent the interests of citizens, you won't be successful as a politician... and this is right.

What gives you, or the US government, the right to tell me what language to speak?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
Having a national language would not tell you what language to speak ebrown_p.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:02 pm
ebrown_p
That being the case why weren't they speaking, Russian or Chinese or any other language.
And why are they not policing the southern border to keep the illegals out. I again repeat for the vote.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:05 pm
I cannot see what specific problem this would solve.

And if it would lead to the kind of legislation that supports French in
Quebec, then I am completely opposed to it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
Au,

You are just upset that they are not selling their souls for your vote, but sorry, that's how Democracy works. If you don't like it, write your Congressman. But, be aware that fortunately there are too many American's who don't agree with your attitudes toward our Spanish speaking neighbors.

If American citizens are voting for elected representatives who are not keeping "illegals" out, then what's the problem? Isn't this why we vote? Are you saying you would ditch Democracy when it doesn't support your point of view?

McGentrix,

Then what would having a national language accomplish (other than purchasing a soul for Au)?

Would this mean that native Spanish speakers couldn't get legal documents in Spanish (or any other language)? This is important to many US citizens and other residents.

I think that having important documents in your native tongue is an important example of government serving its citizens.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
Brown wrote

Quote:
What gives you, or the US government, the right to tell me what language to speak?

No one is telling anyone what language to speak but by the same token why should anyone accommodate you in any language other than the one spoken in the US? Both of my parents spoke Russian. However, they also read, wrote and spoke English. They never expected any accommodation in their native language. They learned English upon their arrival in the USA. 100 years ago when they arrived things were quite different from today. In those days when they arrived people did their best to assimilate as soon as possible.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
As I tried to say above: there is a difference between 'national language' and 'official language' ...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:23 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brown wrote

Quote:

No one is telling anyone what language to speak but by the same token why should anyone accommodate you in any language other than the one spoken in the US? Both of my parents spoke Russian. However, they also read, wrote and spoke English. They never expected any accommodation in their native language. They learned English upon their arrival in the USA. 100 years ago when they arrived things were quite different from today. In those days when they arrived people did their best to assimilate as soon as possible.

On the other hand, why should anyone be forbidden from accomodating you in any language other than the one spoken in the US?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:24 pm
A proclamation of an "official language" would have as much importance as proclaiming a Henry Winkler Day
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:26 pm
Ayyyyyyyyyyy!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:27 pm
panzade wrote:
A proclamation of an "official language" would have as much importance as proclaiming a Henry Winkler Day

Not really, but a proclamation of a 'national language' would do so :wink:
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:39 pm
kickycan wrote:
That article says California has the most languages spoken with 207. Bullshit.

I lived in Queens, and I'd be willing to bet my left "juevo" that there are more than that many languages spoken there.

Then come on out here, kicky and let me introduce you around. Smile

I have the perfect jar for that left juevo! :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:43 pm
Brown wrote

Quote:
Would this mean that native Spanish speakers couldn't get legal documents in Spanish (or any other language)?

Maybe that would give people the desire to learn the language of the land. Which I believe is English not Spanish.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:46 pm
panzade wrote:
A proclamation of an "national language" would have as much importance as proclaiming a Henry Winkler Day

Happy now Walter?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:53 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brown wrote

Quote:

This is why the US was called the great melting pot. Now that isn't so any more, we are now a great multicultural pot and it isn't working. People are not blending into the US culture any more, but insist that languages other then English be taught in the schools, and I'm not talking about Spanish to learn Spanish, or German to learn German. I'm talking about ESL classes when they are not needed. I know several LEGAL immigrants who have moved here and their whole family picked up the English language in about a year. I know my grandfather learned English at a young age after moving here from Sicily and when he died didn't even have an accent because of his drive to fit in and become an American citizen. I don't know why this drive doesn't exist in more the immigrants today?

In a different thread there was a stat on the amount of money the state of Texas spends on printing govt information in different languages and it was quite a large sum. This is taxpayer money that should be spent in a country where over 85% of the citizens speak English. Besides, don't you have to pass an English proficiency test to become a citizen? If so then why are ballots for elections printed in different languages?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 07:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, it's not any different. But, if it doesn't change anything to make the language official, why bother, other than to make a point?

Cycloptichorn

I agree, however I personally wouldn't be offended. Still, what good would it accomplish?
0 Replies