John McCain, ‘maverick’ of the Senate and former POW, dies at 81

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 07:08 pm
John McCain, ‘maverick’ of the Senate and former POW, dies at 81

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-john-mccain-the-2008-gop-presidential-nominee-who-was-driven-by-a-code-of-honor-that-defined-and-haunted-him-dies-at-81/ar-BBMqOiT
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 3,796 • Replies: 73

Below viewing threshold (view)
neptuneblue

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 08:07 pm

coluber2001

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 08:38 pm
@Real Music,
Thanks for posting that, real music. RIP, John McCain
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 08:52 pm
RIP Mr. McCain.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 08:58 pm
McCain was an American Hero. Let's not have politics spoil that.
maporsche

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 09:05 pm
Seeing people on twitter saying things along the lines of the “traitor has finally died and is on his way to hell”.

Horrible.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 09:31 pm
Quote:
Barack Obama
2 hrs ·
John McCain and I were members of different generations, came from completely different backgrounds, and competed at the highest level of politics. But we shared, for all our differences, a fidelity to something higher – the ideals for which generations of Americans and immigrants alike have fought, marched, and sacrificed. We saw our political battles, even, as a privilege, something noble, an opportunity to serve as stewards of those high ideals at home, and to advance them around the world. We saw this country as a place where anything is possible – and citizenship as our patriotic obligation to ensure it forever remains that way.

Few of us have been tested the way John once was, or required to show the kind of courage that he did. But all of us can aspire to the courage to put the greater good above our own. At John’s best, he showed us what that means. And for that, we are all in his debt. Michelle and I send our most heartfelt condolences to Cindy and their family.

0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2018 09:37 pm
@maporsche,
Absolutely. It's the spirit of the age.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 09:23 am
Quote:
Sen. McCain regularly struck at the canons of his party. He ran against the GOP grain by advocating campaign finance reform, liberalized immigration laws and a ban on the CIA’s use of “enhanced interrogation techniques” — widely condemned as torture — against terrorism suspects.

WP

Although I disagreed with many of his conservative positions, he was a great man.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:16 am
It is clear that Americans, Democrats and Republicans alike, loved and respected John McCain. He was decent, honorable and ethical throughout his years of service to our country, from the military to the Senate.

Today's public servants could learn a lot from his man's style.

Rest in peace Senator.
camlok

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 10:42 am
@Lash,
Quote:
They’ve all enriched themselves, cutting services for regular Americans and serving the interests of the military industrial complex.

People who ballyhoo them seem like fools to me.

Ironic, isn't it, Lash, just how deeply held are all these people's beliefs in free speech?
revelette1

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 12:19 pm
@camlok,
It is clear you do not understand free speech in the way it is meant. People are free to speak as long as there is no hate or violence in the speech. Along with that, other people are free to speak to criticize anyone speaking.

Out of respect for anyone who just died, I think in this case it is better to either say something respectful or hold your thoughts for another time and place.
camlok

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 12:35 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
It is clear you do not understand free speech in the way it is meant.

It is clear that you don't understand what free speech is, revelette.

Quote:
People are free to speak as long as there is no hate or violence in the speech.

That too is mostly false. There was no suggestion of violence on my part. I simply pointed out McCain's vicious and long repeated violence against innocents. Those were war crimes, rev.

Are you in the habit of defending war criminals? Why are you pointing this at me when I have quoted Americans saying the same things?

Surely you are not so naive as think that all Americans are of this same shallow thinking as expressed by you and others.

Quote:
Along with that, other people are free to speak to criticize anyone speaking.

Have at 'er, rev. Criticize what I said, not simply my speaking out.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 01:06 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Out of respect for anyone who just died, I think in this case it is better to either say something respectful or hold your thoughts for another time and place.

That is hypocrisy of the highest order, rev. That is propaganda at its most vile level. Save for what Lash and I have written this thread is full of rank propaganda.

There have been 18 replies to this thread. That means that there aren't very many people at all joining you in your propaganda.

Maybe some of those people not joining you don't feel McCain was a war hero at all. How many civilians do you think died in McCain's last run, before the Vietnamese heroes save him from being killed?

Pretend the situation was reversed, a Vietnamese pilot was bombing a US city. What do you think would have happened to him when he crashed into a lake?

Quote:

https://www.liberationnews.org/john-mccain-war-criminal-not-war-hero/

When Mai Van On finally got to him, about 200 yards out, all the older man could see was a bit of white silk, the top of the American’s parachute.

With U.S. planes still bombing and strafing their target of the day—a nearby light-bulb factory where On worked as a security guard—On used a stout bamboo pole to hoist McCain off the bottom of the lake.

“If I had hesitated even one more minute, I’m sure he would have died,” said On, still vigorous at 83 and still living in the same spot on the southern edge of the lake in the heart of downtown Hanoi.

“John McCain was lucky that morning,” On said. “It was about 11 a.m. I had just come home for lunch and put my bicycle into the house. Then the air-raid siren went off, and 60 or 70 of us ran to a tunnel to avoid the bombs. I was at the entrance to the tunnel when I saw the pilot go into the water.

“The tunnel was still shaking from the bombing when I ran to the lake.”
0 Replies