My daughter is addicted with KPop

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 02:48 am
My 17-year old is addicted to Kpop. She even wanted to learn Korean language! She sings every day, not even sure what the songs are all about. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not but it’s annoying me! A foreign language is not bad to learn but having to deal with it everyday in a nonsense way is a big NO for me! I am also sure that you guys here have the same dilemma. How do I deal well with my daughter?

View best answer, chosen by nancybrown032
bunnyhabit

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 06:10 am
@nancybrown032,
many teens love KPop and is good clean fun. you are lucky she not into drugs and western bad boys. this is ridiculous parenting
0 Replies

jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 06:13 am
@nancybrown032,
Buy her good headphones and get a pair for yourself while you're at it.

It's not easy to learn an Asian language when you're an English speaker, as the alphabet is very different. We see the same thing in reverse here.

So you're right - learning a foreign language would be a great idea. And this is a difficult one which would stretch her. If she learns it, awesome. If she tries hard and doesn't, then developing good study habits is a win, yes?

And hang in there. Teenagers, girls in particular, have been addicted to boy and girl bands and young man and woman singers since Elvis, Sinatra, the Dixie Cups, and the DeFranco Family (am I the only person on this site who remembers them?).

How about meeting her halfway and introducing her to the bands you liked when you were her age? But you have to trade that for listening at least a little (and without judgment) to what she likes. So for every ABC by the Jackson Five, you trade that for a song by BTS.

And I leave you with a little ditty by a boy band.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 08:23 am
@nancybrown032,
Perhaps you can work on learning English while she works on her Korean. Then you can sing along with English-language songs while she sings along with her K-Pop.

Really. There's really much to admire about her desire to learn a new language in her late teens. Good parenting would be encouraging her.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:45 am
It's also the future.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 11:04 am
@nancybrown032,
Never mind if you carry on like this you won't have to listen to it much longer. My father was also hypercritical of everything I did/liked. The minute I was able to leave home I was gone. We still see each other, but I keep my visits brief with nice long gaps in between.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2018 11:14 am
@nancybrown032,
nancybrown032 wrote:

I am also sure that you guys here have the same dilemma. How do I deal well with my daughter?

Why would you make this weird assumption?
nancybrown032 wrote:

How do I deal well with my daughter?

Love her unconditionally. Be patient with her. She'll likely be out of your hair in a year or two.

Just appreciate that if this is your daughter's worst cultural failings? You probably did a decent job raising her.
nancybrown032 wrote:
A foreign language is not bad to learn but having to deal with it everyday in a nonsense way is a big NO for me!

Perhaps you have some personal soft racism issues to address that have nothing to do with what your daughter is obsessing over currently?
0 Replies

nancybrown032

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2018 02:42 am
Hi everyone. I am very much glad with your responses. i am quite enlightened on what I should do and how I should the situation at hand. i guess you are right. instead of being annoyed, I should be supporting her on what she likes as long as it does not affect her negatively. Indeed, i am glad that she is trying to learn a foreign language and I should be supporting her for that.
0 Replies