Bankruptcy laws amended. And the big winner is????

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 11:50 am
Baldimo wrote:
Several issues I disagree with the Bush admin on.
1) Immigration
2) Right to die issue

These are the to biggies right now. I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with some others.

Baldimo:

Just 2? And you have to think about it?

Oh my...
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 01:24 pm
While on my way to my Aikido class (with a quick stop at Panera Bread for breakfast), I heard a snippet of Daniel Shorr(sp) on NPR saying that this was a good week for big business.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 01:11 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Several issues I disagree with the Bush admin on.
1) Immigration
2) Right to die issue

These are the to biggies right now. I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with some others.

Baldimo:

Just 2? And you have to think about it?

Oh my...

I voted for the guy, so it's hard to find some issues I don't agree with. Now if you would have asked me about Kerry, I'm sure I could come up with quite a few.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:28 pm
Dookie, care to share what you agree with Bush about?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:36 pm
Ooooh goodie! This can be like a therapy session for bush haters.

Hello, my name is freeduck and I'm a bush-hate-oholic.

I agree with Bush about immigration. There I said it. Glad I got that off my chest.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
Just one thing FreeDuck?

Surely you can find it in your heart to agree with the Bush administration on more than just a single item!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:42 pm
One step at a time, McG. I'm in recovery. Baby steps....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:44 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
One step at a time, McG. I'm in recovery. Baby steps....

Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
USA

Supreme Court: creditors can't seize IRAs

Posted: Monday, April 4, 1:42pm EDT

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that creditors may not seize Individual Retirement Accounts when people file for bankruptcy, giving protection to a nest egg relied upon by millions of Americans.
The unanimous decision sides with a bankrupt Arkansas couple fighting to keep more than $55,000 in retirement savings. As a result, IRAs now join pensions, 401(k)s, Social Security and other benefits tied to age, illness or disability that are afforded protection under bankruptcy law.

IRAs should not be treated any differently because the benefits are tied to people's age, the court said, citing a substantial tax penalty that is imposed for withdrawals before a person turns 60.

But unlike many other retirement plans, IRAs permit cash withdrawals for any reason at any time so long as holders 59 1/2 and younger pay a 10 percent penalty tax. Some lower courts had ruled that makes IRAs different, because people could make withdrawals at any time, regardless of age.

In the ruling, however, Thomas noted IRA withdrawals by those younger than age 60 are few, effectively making the account a benefit based on age.

Last year, more than 1.6 million people filed for personal bankruptcy, compared with 875,000 a decade earlier. Experts say much of that is being driven by people 55 and older who lose their jobs and cannot pay off debts.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:57 am
The new bankruptcy law takes effect October 17th. A bill is being introduced this week to relieve hurricane victims from being held to the new standards.

Bill to Reliieve Debt Burden on Katrina Survivors

I wonder how many other exceptions will eventually have to be made? If there is a flaw in the law as it is that wouldn't allow these already desperate people have relief, you have to question how good a law it is.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:33 am
How hard is it going to be for people who have honestly had a harship in their lives that has taken all of their finances down to zero to file for bankruptcy?
Is this law going to just be aimed at irresponsible debt?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:25 am
I take it that was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer.

That was the argument used to pass it. But, if it were only aimed at irresponsible debt, there would be no need for an new bill to provide relief for hurricane survivors.

Obviously, it wasn't a bill that concerned itself with the little people.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
Sometimes Congress tries to take action just to show the country (and their constituents) they're still there ... and in this case, thinking about the victims of the hurricane. This latest proposed bill is not proof that the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 is bad law, but certainly appears to be proof that these particular legislators are still opposed to it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:43 am
shewolfnm wrote:
How hard is it going to be for people who have honestly had a harship in their lives that has taken all of their finances down to zero to file for bankruptcy?

The law is aimed at making sure MBNA, the LARGEST bush campaign contributor in the 2000 election, gets their money if no one else does.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:48 am
MBNA? You're sure? I fired them several years ago for incompetence.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:50 am
Must be why they needed this bill to make up for the interest you were no longer paying.

It's all your fault now, roger. (ya little rat!)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:52 am
squinney wrote

Quote:
Obviously, it wasn't a bill that concerned itself with the little people.

Has there been any coming out of this republican dominated congress that does?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:01 am
roger wrote:
MBNA? You're sure? I fired them several years ago for incompetence.

I'm sure.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:08 am
What the heck. Maybe I'm just touchy in my old age. I fired MCI for lying on their initial offer and do all my long distance calling on a card.
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:28 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

It is going to be more difficult, but not impossible. The primary effect of the new law will be the increased costs upon parties trying to file their cases, to produce appropriate documentation justifying they need the relief and pay higher attorneys fees necessitated by all of the additional work. TT

bankruptcy judge calls new federal law 'meat-ax approach'
Last Update: 10/15/2005 6:51:41 PM

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A federal bankruptcy reform law taking effect this month is bad law, said the judge who oversees court cases for north Mississippi residents overwhelmed by debt.

"There could have been some reform to better the system, but this is a meat-ax approach rather than doing it in a studied way," said U.S. Bankruptcy Judge David Houston of Aberdeen.

Congress changed the "gem of our bankruptcy system" so much that there'll be "a subculture of people that will owe a lot of money and just move away," Houston said in a recent interview.

The new law takes effect Monday. It imposes restrictions aimed at preventing people from using the bankruptcy court to dodge debts they could actually afford to pay.

The "gem" in the current system, Houston said, is the Chapter 13 bankruptcy provision, which lets people with large debts reorganize their finances with court oversight to repay some or all the money over an extended period to creditors.

While Congress intended to steer more debtors to take the Chapter 13 route, Houston said the reforms could have the opposite effect - meaning more debtors will run away from creditors and they won't get the money due them.

The law imposes disincentives for people to repay debts over time in a court-monitored process to ensure creditors get their money, he said.

"That's one of the sad parts of the legislation. It's going to (hurt) the Chapter 13 program," Houston said.

He said in Mississippi about $50 million a year is paid in Chapter 13 bankruptcies.

"I fear that will be impacted by the new legislation," he said.

The changes Congress enacted impose unnecessary costs for bankruptcy filings and limits people's access to the court system, said Columbus attorney Gawyn Mitchell, who specializes in representing bankrupt clients.

"The middle class and poor - they're getting hammered with this law," Mitchell said. "It just makes it a lot harder and more expensive. It's going to place a greater burden on the poor to file.

"It's going to make it harder and more expensive for poor people to get relief," Mitchell said. "I don't see creditors getting more money from this either. I see no benefits."

Backers of the new law don't see it that way.

It should get people in debt to repay more of what they can rather than having their financial obligations erased through bankruptcy, said U.S. Rep. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., who represents much of north Mississippi.

"Bankruptcy should be the option of last resort, not a convenient means of walking away from debts. The new law is designed to end this practice, while still allowing those persons who genuinely need bankruptcy protection to receive it," Wicker said in a statement.

However, measures the Republican-controlled Congress enacted last spring will likely cause more debtors to avert creditors' efforts to get paid, Houston said.

The purpose of the law is to encourage financially distressed debtors to be placed in Chapter 13 bankruptcy. However, Houston said the new law could actually push people into the Chapter 7 route - the "throw-in-the-towel bankruptcy" that lets them give up assets and have their debts forgiven.

"I think we'll have more Chapter 7 bankruptcies or have folks just drop out," Houston said.

Chapter 7 bankruptcies give debtors a fresh start by erasing their debts after they give up certain nonessential assets to creditors to pay whatever possible but not the full amount owed.

The new law also requires unnecessary paperwork and credit counseling for those in bankruptcy proceedings, Houston said. The fees for this will be costly for work and advice that aren't helpful for the court and debtors, he said.

The new law requires more documentation by bankruptcy lawyers to verify information clients give them. This will result in lawyers charging higher fees to represent insolvent clients who need the court to erase their debts or get a plan to pay money they owe.

"You could be too broke to go into bankruptcy," Houston said. "It's going to price a lot of people out."

Mitchell said many attorneys are ending their bankruptcy practice because of the new requirement they must verify for themselves everything their clients tell them about their financial plights.

"A lot of people are going to find this unattainable and so tedious they can't do it," said Mitchell, noting no other law has such a verification mandate on attorneys.

With about 95 percent of his practice being bankruptcy cases, Mitchell said, he'll continue this but might get out if he finds it too difficult to independently confirm what his clients say.

Houston is former president of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges. He said he knows no one with expertise in bankruptcy law who supports the changes.

"It's a lot more far-reaching than people realize," said Houston, noting the law could have "a lot of little gremlins" yet understood. "It's going to take years to sort it out."

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita, Democrats in Congress have introduced bills not to impose the new bankruptcy restrictions on people devastated by the calamities.

"With all the disasters, the timing (of the new law) is awful," Mitchell said.

In passing the reform, Congress adopted a needs-based test that's considered the backbone of the new law. This will help determine whether debtors can afford to repay some or all of their debts, such as from credit cards.

Supporters of the new law said it should force more bankruptcy filers capable of repaying their debts to do so and not have them relieved so easily.

"I believe bankruptcy provides legitimate relief for some overburdened Americans. Unfortunately, some individuals have taken advantage of current law to avoid their financial obligations," Wicker said.
0 Replies