Bankruptcy laws amended. And the big winner is????

PDiddie

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
The top ten states with the most bankruptcy filings (measured in filings per household) are all red ones:

1. Utah
2. Tennessee
3. Georgia
4. Nevada
5. Indiana
6. Alabama
7. Arkansas
8. Ohio
9. Mississippi
10. Idaho

http://www.abiworld.org/statcharts/HouseRank.htm

Now this suggests a perfect example of what some of us are perplexed by.

Thomas Frank, the author of "What's the Matter with Kansas?" and once a conservative himself, used his home state as an example of those in the heartland voting for the Republicans and against their own economic self-interest, repeatedly over an extended period of time. Like decades.

Without digressing the thread too much (and without inviting Post #1567 of timberlandko's personal and particularly rancid "it's all those miserable Democrats' own fault" bloviation), could I trouble you, Ticomaya, to stop whining about your personal circumstance for a moment and enlighten us on the thought process of you and your fellow Jayhawks regarding the approval of this legislation and the financial portent of economically-challenged Kansans?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 09:43 am
I provide an anecdotal illustration of why I'm pleased the bankruptcy laws are changing for the better, and I'm accused of "whining and complaining." This really should be assigned a number in the "Liberals Practice Argument Techniques" thread.

"Economically-challenged" Kansans, and any other "economically-challenged" persons, will be required by this change in legislation, to pay all or at least some of the debts they incur. I was raised to believe that you should take care of your business, not expect charity, and pay your debts.

I can't help you with your questions about the thought-process of other Kansas. But that is how I was raised.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I provide an anecdotal illustration of why I'm pleased the bankruptcy laws are changing for the better, and I'm accused of "whining and complaining." This really should be assigned a number in the "Liberals Practice Argument Techniques" thread.

Sure, assign a number for it. We are, after all, borrowing it from conservatives.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:48 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Sure, assign a number for it. We are, after all, borrowing it from conservatives.

One large difference, of course, is the liberals actually ARE whining and complaining.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:53 am
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

One large difference, of course, is the liberals actually ARE whining and complaining.

...and so are you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:05 am
Actually, I'm not. I'm very happy right now with this proposed legislation. Not complaining a bit. It seems the complaints are coming from you lefties, who would prefer to see these slakards continue to escape their personal responsibilities.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:10 am
Quote:
Not complaining a bit.

You are complaining about other people complaining. Just as bad.

Quote:
It seems the complaints are coming from you lefties, who would prefer to see these slakards continue to escape their personal responsibilities.

Yeah, because everyone that takes bankruptcy is a slacker. Right, Tico. Way to oversimplify the issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:30 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Not complaining a bit.

You are complaining about other people complaining. Just as bad.

That you see it as "just as bad," doesn't make it so. I see a large difference.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
It seems the complaints are coming from you lefties, who would prefer to see these slakards continue to escape their personal responsibilities.

Yeah, because everyone that takes bankruptcy is a slacker. Right, Tico. Way to oversimplify the issue.

Cycloptichorn

And you weren't oversimplifying the issue by claiming every person who files for bankruptcy has had a medical crisis and isn't just trying to use the system?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:31 am
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I'm curious. Have you EVER whined, complained, or even said anything even remotely negative about ANYTHING that had the words "conservative", "Republican" or "George W. Bush" attached to it? Somehow I doubt it. It's almost like some hypnotist gave you these words in a hypnotic state, and now whenever you hear them your eyes glaze over and you cluck like a chicken right on that party line.

It's actually quite entertaining.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:33 am
Quote:
That you see it as "just as bad," doesn't make it so. I see a large difference.

Of course you do. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And you weren't oversimplifying the issue by claiming every person who files for bankruptcy has had a medical crisis and isn't just trying to use the system?

Not everyone. But the commonly accepted statstics show that 50% of bankrupcties are due to medical bills. So it's not no-one, either, the way you make it out to be, and if you are changing the rules, you have to take into account the effects upon these people as well as the slackers.

Which you don't seem to understand. What do you think a family should do, who gets buried under a mountain of bills, one member of the production team out of work for a while, and they can't declare bankruptcy?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
kickycan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I'm curious. Have you EVER whined, complained, or even said anything even remotely negative about ANYTHING that had the words "conservative", "Republican" or "George W. Bush" attached to it? Somehow I doubt it. It's almost like some hypnotist gave you these words in a hypnotic state, and now whenever you hear them your eyes glaze over and you cluck like a chicken right on that party line.

It's actually quite entertaining.

Yes, of course.

I'm glad your entertained, though, Kicky, because that's my goal. Each post I make I ask myself, "Will this provide Kicky with entertainment value." If it doesn't, I tweak it until I think it will.

Cyclops wrote:
Which you don't seem to understand. What do you think a family should do, who gets buried under a mountain of bills, one member of the production team out of work for a while, and they can't declare bankruptcy?

How 'bout "debtor's prison."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:50 am
Quote:

You're showing your true colors now, Tico.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:51 am
When I said, "Yes, of course," I meant there have been some Republican issues that I have spoken negatively about. I didn't mean to convey the impression that I have at any time harbored the notion that George W. Bush has ever done anything wrong.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:53 am
Ticomaya wrote:

Why should I have to pay taxes to house and feed someone just because they owe YOU money?

Tell the truth, Tico, you padded the bill, didn't you. Maybe you rounded that 5 minutes of phone calls up to a half hour of your time. Or maybe you thought about their problem while you were having lunch, so you put that on the bill too? Come on, it's ok, we're all friends here. You can tell us and we won't think any less of you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Why should I have to pay taxes to house and feed someone just because they owe YOU money?

Well, of course it would have to be a work-release facility.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
:wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
When I said, "Yes, of course," I meant there have been some Republican issues that I have spoken negatively about. I didn't mean to convey the impression that I have at any time harbored the notion that George W. Bush has ever done anything wrong.

I will be sure to go over every single post you have made thusfar on A2K to verify this. I'll be back later to let you know my findings.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:29 pm
Kicky
I think your search will be in vain. Tico is firmly attached to Bush's A**
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:45 pm
True. But I still like the guy for some reason. Smile
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 06:49 pm
Several issues I disagree with the Bush admin on.
1) Immigration
2) Right to die issue

These are the to biggies right now. I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with some others.
0 Replies