neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:13 am
The bible was not written as a scientific treatise. It was written so ordinary folks like Joe Sixpack and me could understand why we are here, why we have sickness and crime and war and death and what God intends to do about it. Additionally, it provides a sound guide for daily living.

How much more explanation of the earth's water cycle does the uninitiated need than Solomon's description at Ecclesiastes 1:7?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:03 am
wandeljw wrote:
Why would the Bible need to be scientifically accurate? Science retricts itself to the natural world. Issues of faith transcend nature.

Yes, but matters of the world...deal with the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:55 am
Quote, " Issues of faith transcend nature." It also transcends logic, consistency, and nature.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:52 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, " Issues of faith transcend nature." It also transcends logic, consistency, and nature.
Issues of credulity transcend nature and reason. Issues of faith should not. That is why I have repeatedly asserted that when two conclusions are mutually exclusive, it must be the premises which are at fault.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:55 am
neologist wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
Issues of credulity transcend nature and reason. Issues of faith should not. That is why I have repeatedly asserted that when two conclusions are mutually exclusive, it must be the premises which are at fault.
That being said, it sure has been a difficult journey to arrive at mutually agreeable premises, has it not?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:02 pm
My only premise is that there is no need for the Bible to be scientifically accurate. Science textbooks deal with physical matter, the Bible addresses spiritual issues.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:18 pm
Quote, "That being said, it sure has been a difficult journey to arrive at mutually agreeable premises, has it not?" Without question.

The bible does not limit itself to "spiritual" matters. That's the reason why Genesis talks about the creation of earth and everything on it. Science has already refuted "in the beginning," by showing that this planet is 4.5 billions years old and not 6,000-7,000 years old.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:19 pm
BTW, if the bible had stuck to stricktly spiritual matters, it might have had some legitimacy. However, it would still need to reconcile all the contradictioins that is spelled out in the bible - concerning 'spiritual matters.'
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:24 pm
It could just be a difference in our perception of the word accurate. Not much scientific know how is needed to understand a simple statement such as 'he walked'. In fact, too much scientific explanation might obfuscate the meaning entirely.

So; if you are saying the bible need not be specific, I would agree. It can't, however, be contrary to truth.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "That being said, it sure has been a difficult journey to arrive at mutually agreeable premises, has it not?" Without question.

The bible does not limit itself to "spiritual" matters. That's the reason why Genesis talks about the creation of earth and everything on it. Science has already refuted "in the beginning," by showing that this planet is 4.5 billions years old and not 6,000-7,000 years old.
Go back about a page and you will find my post where I point out that the bible does, in fact, support your claim as to the age of the earth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:31 pm
neologist, Expert theologians estimated the age of earth from the bible. Your opinion about the earth's age, shall we say, is unsupported blather.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:33 pm
BTW, I even asked a Catholic Priest about how they interpret creation, and he said Catholics are free to believe any interpretation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:36 pm
Expert theologians have blessed cannons and battleships and have supported every crime imaginable. Their sins have created a stench over the entire earth. Look at every slaughter you can find in history. You will find an expert theologian, his buttocks quaking with fear, lest the powers who support his lifestyle should turn on him.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:39 pm
That's three strikes for the theologians. So, what's your credential?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:42 pm
I'm just a friend of Joe Sixpack, the quintessential common man. If he can't understand it, it may very well not be true.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:06 pm
Can't argue with that! So, one point for you - for the time being. Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:32 pm
Quote:
I'm just a friend of Joe Sixpack, the quintessential common man. If he can't understand it, it may very well not be true.

Unusual logic, I have no understanding of how to make a guitar, they therefore do not exist.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:32 pm
Damn, FM, you just put a lotta low-life slackers outta work . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:46 pm
Yeh, and imagine "Joe Sixpack" damn pussies, Id be known as Karl Kegger.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:30 pm
I believe Joe CAN make a guitar.
0 Replies