That thar drink llookkss good.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:03 am
i want one too neologist.svp ?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:11 am
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/huggles.gif "i want one too neologist.svp ?" http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/pepsi.gif

I've been collecting smileys HERE
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:17 am
There are many more where this came from.

"The Bible begins with the Scripture, "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth" GEN 1:1 . The Bible then goes on to describe how God took six days to finish His creation. The word "day" in Hebrew is yom and can mean the daylight portion of a day, 24 hours or an unspecified period of time.

So there are three possible meanings for the word day to choose from. Which then would be appropriate for the context of the passage? It is clear that the context should specify the meaning of the Hebrew word YOM. The context tells us that there was a time period of an "evening and morning".The word day is also used with a number and when it is used with a number it means it is a 24 hour day. Another Scripture in Exodus 20:8-20:11 tells us what the meaning of the Hebrew word YOM we should choose.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Each word translated DAY in these verses is the same Hebrew word - YOM. If there was any opportunity for the writer to distinguish between the shades of meaning of the Hebrew word YOM it would be here. As we can see no attempt is made by the writer to show a difference in the word. In fact what the verses do show is the same meaning for us and for God. God tells us to labour for six days just like He laboured for six days and to rest on the seventh day just like He rested on the seventh day. So these Scriptures prove that the length of a day (yom) at creation is the same as our day."

Have a drink on me. Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:30 am
No wonder you don't believe the bible. If I had such a narrow view, I wouldn't either. Of course, I have no faith in the theory of evolution - reincarnation seems pointless - and Muslims scare me. The only spiritual experience left is for me and Joe Sixpack to pay a visit to John Barleycorn. http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/drunk.gif
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:33 am
There were three men come from the West
Their fortunes for to try,
And these three made a solemn vow:
"John Barleycorn must die."

They plowed, they sowed, they harrowed him in,
Threw clods upon his head,
'Til these three men were satisfied
John Barleycorn was dead.

They let him lie for a very long time,
'Til the rains from heaven did fall,
When little Sir John raised up his head
And so amazed them all.

They let him stand 'til Mid-Summer's Day
When he looked both pale and wan;
Then little Sir John grew a long, long beard
And so became a man.

They hired men with their scythes so sharp
To cut him off at the knee;
They rolled him and tied him around the waist,
And served him most barbarously.

They hired men with their sharp pitchforks
To pierce him to the heart,
But the loader did serve him worse than that,
For he bound him to the cart.

They wheeled him 'round and around the field
'Til they came unto a barn,
And there they took a solemn oath
On poor John Barleycorn.

They hired men with their crab-tree sticks
To split him skin from bone,
But the miller did serve him worse than that,
For he ground him between two stones.

There's little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl,
And there's brandy in the glass,
And little Sir John in the nut-brown bowl
Proved the strongest man at last.

The huntsman cannot hunt the fox
Nor loudly blow his horn
And the tinker cannot mend his pots
Without a little Barleycorn.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:37 am
"View" is an oxymoron when used in connection with the belief in the bible no matter how it's interpreted. HOw do you keep it "straight" in your head? I know it's a special skill I'll never achieve.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:58 am
A little music, please Setanta. And a Coke for Miss Cleo.

Simple, C.I.: I have a straight head.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:37 am
So, neologist, you don't think that the seventh day has ended? Why is that?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:45 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
So, neologist, you don't think that the seventh day has ended? Why is that?
Main reason: Each of the first six days has a distinct end in Genesis while the seventh is not so noted. Read Hebrews 4: 1-10 for Paul's discussion of the day of rest and see if that might cast some light on my assertion.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:50 am
Do you think that all the days are the same length? What is your aproximation on the age of the Earth? Or rather, your idea?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:13 am
I suffer from not having been there. Apparently, earth existed billions (I don't know - zillions?) of years before God decided to prepare it for habitation. Genesis 1:1 allows for that, I believe. It is natural for us to assume that each of the creative days would be of the same length. But, that would allow only a few thousand years for all the creative work to have taken place. If the creative days were of varying length, that might satisfy some, but I am hardly in a position to speculate.

I will assert, however, that the genesis of life on planet earth occurred according to natural laws which we may or may not have completely ascertained.

I believe those laws were created by God.

I don't believe in speciation by chance.

Those are my stories and I'm stickin' to 'em. (Until corrected by Setanta Laughing )
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:27 am
Augustine, a theologian from the fourth century A.D., wrote that the length of creation as Genesis describes it is not relevant. Augustine asserted that God could have created everything in a split second if He wanted. Augustine considered Genesis to be allegorical.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 12:37 pm
Augustine thought Aristotle's earth centered explanation of the solar system was correct. It was this misinterpretation that the church followed in it's persecution of Galileo.

I'm sure Augustine was a fine fellow and would have made a good companion at pub; but his theology was an abdication of truth.

Edited for accuracy: Should have said Aquinas, sorry. It makes this post irrelevant. So let's break for http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/pizza.gif
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 01:21 pm
neologist wrote:
Augustine thought Aristotle's earth centered explanation of the solar system was correct. It was this misinterpretation that the church followed in it's persecution of Galileo.

neologist,
You may be getting Augustine confused with Aquinas. Aquinas admired Aristotle and revived Aristotelianism for Catholic universities. (Augustine was an admirer of Plato.)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:09 pm
There I go, confusing the 'A' words again. Embarrassed
It doesn't change my perception of the book of Genesis.

According to the N.T. writers, Jesus thought it authentic.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:13 am
I have always been told that the Bible is scientifically accurate, but it is not a science book. Also, the seven days of creation are meant to be a model for our week (six days of work, then a day of rest.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:26 am
Why would the Bible need to be scientifically accurate? Science retricts itself to the natural world. Issues of faith transcend nature.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:47 am
wandeljw wrote:
Why would the Bible need to be scientifically accurate? Science retricts itself to the natural world. Issues of faith transcend nature.
True, but neither does God expect credulity.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:58 am
neologist wrote:
True, but neither does God expect credulity.

Then it seems God would not expect the Book of Genesis to be a clinical scientific record.
0 Replies