Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:25 am
My response was to Wolf_O'Donnell, and i have now edited my post to make that clear.

Although it may shock and dismay you to learn this, TR, you are not the center of the universe, not everything is about you, and it is entirely possible for people to exchange remarks which are completely without reference to you.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:31 am
Obviously I don't think I'm the center of the universe, I figured since you were previously talking with me, and you didn't address someone else, that you were still adressing me...is that an illogical jump?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:07 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:
The other day a doctor friend of mine came over to visit... He was having a severe problem with his hand... Gout... He is a surgeon at the local emergency room and a dear friend... Well he could not even close his fingers together. His whole hand was swollen to almost twice it's size. All of his medications had failed and he was in pain... We were just talking over tea and suddenly I shared a part of myself that I had never really revealed to him before... I asked him If I could pray for his hand... He said, yes, and I took his hand in mine and closed my eyes and began to pray out loud but softly. I said, (Not in my exact words but my style of praying). God I want to thank you for my friends hand. I want to thank you for all of the internal parts to function properly. I want to thank you for the right nutrients and healing to restore this hand to it's perfect function. I thank you for this in the name of your wonderful son, our living lord and saviour Christ Jesus, Amen...

Well my friend called me up rather late that night and was so thankful for my having prayed for him... I was surprised... I felt that for a doctor who has seen so much trauma to recognize the power of prayer was such a beautiful thing to observe for myself... Needless to say, I saw his hand yesterday (a week later) and he thanked me again... he can now close his fingers and the gout has reversed itself. His skin looked like it had a bit of scaling from the fever subsiding... I rejoiced in God... this is first aid... When you ask God to show you things you will be amazed...

Erm... are you sure this post is in the right thread?

I think so, the healing powers of the mind are relevant to evolution...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:31 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Where did I say that people have to listen to me? I listen to what the Bible says and, I did not write the book. I have said that people need to "study" the scriptures and let the scriptures interpret themselves... I also presented some principles on "how" to let the word "interpret itself"...

If you think you are right about something in the Bible then give me chapter and verse... I did not say that if words are missing then you only just listen to me, because only I know the truth...

Rex, they never let the bible "interpret itself" instead they go into it with bias, and they look for error...its hilarious because if this was how they looked at every book, they would never learn anything.

Yes, they assume "God" would make a book full of contradictions... So they do not "study" it, they inject their own imperfection rather than seek it's innate perfection. They treat the word with sloth and predisposition. They doubt the literal and cloud the figurative with error... Then they make wild assumptions about God and expect people to bow their knees... They cut God from creation when they have no scientific proof that this is the case... They know how to study Darwin but they throw away their principles of research when they take a look at the scriptures. They quote their friends rather than what the Bible says.. They don't know the Bible... so they cannot "know" God...

Jeremiah 2:13
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:34 am
If the bobble spoke nothing but the truth, in plain fashion, no interpretation would be necessary.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:36 am
God never understood man, anyways.....and man never understood god.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:45 am
Quote:

God never understood man, anyways.....and man never understood god.
That's in part why Jesus came.

Quote:
If the bobble spoke nothing but the truth, in plain fashion, no interpretation would be necessary.

Not necessarily, Shakespeare didn't write everything in plain English, though what he wrote was still amazing. The complexity and prophecy of the bible (well, prophecy) is what sets it apart from say, just me writing a book and then saying that God told me to.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:47 am
Shakespeare ain't god - although some might consider him to be. Wink
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:52 am
Setanta wrote:

But maybe God wanted us to study it and not just read it... Maybe God didn't want to write the sequel to Dick, Jane and Sally... There are science books that deserve study and cannot be just understood on a first reading... There are wonders in science that need to be studied before their true shape and form are revealed... (example DNA) Now would it be right to look at DNA and say, it is just a jumbled arbitrary mess and has no inner structure so we can ignore it... Would we learn anything? the Bible is divinely inspired and within, there lies the keys to "more than abundant life"...
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:58 am
Obviously shakespeare isn't god....(haha)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:59 am
How some people can rationalize the writings of men of science and god are stretching the frontiers of religion. LOL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:59 am
The inability of someone to comprehend scientific reporting is not at all the same as the unwillingness to accept the self-serving pronouncements of those who purport that a passage of scripture means what it does not, on the face of it, say.
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:00 am
Yes, I realize that was a worthless comment.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:01 am
Get a children's bible if you don't want to interpret it yourself.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:03 am
There's such a thing as a "children's bible?" Bet, they still interpret it in many different ways.
0 Replies

headofthefield

yes thunder, that is what all lazy non-believers should do.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

What is the great scientific evidence0 (FACT) that contradicts the bible?
0 Replies

headofthefield

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:05 am
actually cicerone, no they probably don't do to the lack of attention that have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:09 am
My lazy, lazy habits . . . Headofthefield, i was not criticizing your post. My post about scientific reports and the bobble was directed at RR's typically opaque exegesis.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 11:44 am
YES! Very Happy

Both opaque and exegesis are real words:

o·paque adj.
1. Impenetrable by light; neither transparent nor translucent.
2. Not reflecting light; having no luster: an opaque finish.
2. Impenetrable by a form of radiant energy other than visible light: a chemical solution opaque to x-rays.
1. So obscure as to be unintelligible: "opaque, elusive, minimal meanings" (John Simon).
2. Obtuse of mind; dense. See Synonyms at dark.

ex·e·ge·sis n. Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text.
n : an explanation or critical interpretation (especially of the Bible).

However google shows that this is the first time in history
that those two words have been used together!

Congratulations Setanta! Laughing Another A2K First!

. . . God I love this place.
Exegesis. ExeGESis. EXEgesis. ExegeSIS. That's cool.
It was even "Word of the Day" on July 17, 2001, that's how good it is.
0 Replies